Islamic Forum
Joker37

Why Are Muslim Countries So Behind?

Salam,

Why are so many Muslim countries seen as "backward" by the rest of the world?

Why are Muslims so economically behind the rest of the world?

Does this mean to be a good Muslim, one must live a poor life and be humble with that?

The prophet (PBUH) once said "my poverty is my pride".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_poverty

Any thoughts?

Do you have to give everything for the hereafter to be a good muslim? If not, then why are so many Muslim countries behind the rest of the world (e.g. in science & technology etc)

Edited by Joker37

PropellerAds

:sl:

He :s: lived in poverty by not joining the kuffar, who had a lot of money. Also, whatever he had, he used to donate a large portion to poor people (Muslims). So, no. You won't have to live in poverty to go to Jannah. You have to stick to Allah :sw: 's commandment even if you lose or do not get money in some cases.

See these fatwas:

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/95340

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/12107

• Like 1

This is because Muslims are not following Islam properly.

• Like 2

The majority of Islamic countries were under occupations. Western imperialism took advantage of Muslim natural resources for decades, and made sure they are kept poor and uneducated. When we Muslims were one united ummah, we were strong and wealthy. Imperialistic powers divided us, and made up borders and split countries. They fuel sectarian and tribal wars, and everything that would keep Muslims weak and shattered. They also did, and still, drown us all in materialistic world. They knew that our strength comes from our faith, so they made sure we have access to all the western sensual pleasures, keeping us away from our values.

• Like 2

It is truly amazing what excuses some people come up with. As long as the blame can be shifted elsewhere, no explanation is too lame or mundane. The highest per capita income of the entire planet? Qatar. A poor, exploited country under occupation and not following Islam properly? No. A modern country where education and tolerance is practised. Where the transfer of knowledge takes priority over religious dogma. Where I can freely discuss Islam with Imams and Koran scholars and appreciate the heritage of Islam in the Islamic Museum without being condemned or insulted for being a non-believer. That is the future.

Robbana attina fi dunya hasanah

wa fil akhiroti hasanah

wa qina adzaban naar.

amin ya robbal 'alamin.

• Like 1

This is because Muslims are not following Islam properly.

What are Muslims doing wrong exactly? And how are Muslims not practicing Islam properly?

Do we have any solutions? What can be done?

What are Muslims doing wrong exactly? And how are Muslims not practicing Islam properly?

Yes, we do have solutions.

We can do with what we can.

To me, I want to do about reorganizing the hajj travel, including transportation, hotel, imigration, qurban. Which I think, still one of that muslimin not practising Islam properly.

Any thought?

Edited by MarineLiner

To me, I want to do about reorganizing the hajj travel, including transportation, hotel, imigration, qurban. Which I think, still one of that muslimin not practising Islam properly.

What's wrong with the hajj travel now?

• Like 1

Thanks for asking.

There are many problems.

We can begin with "Profiteering from hajj" , can click at my signature.

It is truly amazing what excuses some people come up with. As long as the blame can be shifted elsewhere, no explanation is too lame or mundane. The highest per capita income of the entire planet? Qatar. A poor, exploited country under occupation and not following Islam properly? No. A modern country where education and tolerance is practised. Where the transfer of knowledge takes priority over religious dogma. Where I can freely discuss Islam with Imams and Koran scholars and appreciate the heritage of Islam in the Islamic Museum without being condemned or insulted for being a non-believer. That is the future.

Importance of knowledge and education are Islamic ideologies. So is tolerance of people, both Muslim and non-Muslim (though the whole Museum example is more of your personal preference than something that makes or destroys a nation). All of these are lacking in a lot of Muslim countries.

You've just made our point for us.

Salam.

You've just made our point for us.

I have made my point. So I don't understand your comment. What does "our point" mean? Am I missing something?

Back to topic:

Yes, we do have solutions.

We can do with what we can.

What's wrong with the hajj travel now?

Thanks for asking.

There are many problems.

We can begin with "Profiteering from hajj" , can click at my signature.

Could you catch what I meant ?

I have made my point. So I don't understand your comment. What does "our point" mean? Am I missing something?

Sorry, what I meant was in reference to what everyone else responded with. That it's the loss or lack of Islamic ideals in Muslim countries that leads to them being so far behind, specifically because Allah has taken away the blessing. You responded by saying that Qatar is prosperous because of knowledge and education and tolerance. I responded by saying these are Islamic ideals, and their lack in other Muslim countries only reinforces the point that these regions don't do a good job enforcing Islam.

Salam.

Sorry, what I meant was in reference to what everyone else responded with. That it's the loss or lack of Islamic ideals in Muslim countries that leads to them being so far behind, specifically because Allah has taken away the blessing. You responded by saying that Qatar is prosperous because of knowledge and education and tolerance. I responded by saying these are Islamic ideals, and their lack in other Muslim countries only reinforces the point that these regions don't do a good job enforcing Islam.

Salam.

Thank you for the clarification. To elaborate on this: I don't say that Qatar is prospering BECAUSE of one or the other concepts but it ALSO encourages and embraces them.

That, to you and to me, is un-fortunately biased and grossly unfair.

We think we are the guests of Allah but they dont share our belief.

. . . . . To top up all that there is this insidious influence of uncle Sam over there compelling the Saudis to treat all their visitors with suspicions.

Read more:

In the computer room: They have installed finger printing and iris scan in Saudia.

As I wrote in my earlier post, We can do with what we can.

Any thought?

If I may offer a perspective to the original question.

The reason we may have fallen behind other countries may in fact have something to do with the ummah falling astray, and our leaders. But if we look at this from a historical perspective we may benefit as a society. What led to the Caliphate becoming great, wealthy and powerful during the Islamic golden age? Our faith which has led us to search for truth allowed us to search for knowledge in a way that had nearly died out in Europe. Our civilization made advances in art, science, philosophy, and political theory which allowed us to create advanced militaries, efficient social systems, and effective diplomatic policies with rival nations. This lasted until the Ottoman Empire experienced a long period of intellectual stagnation while simultaneously the Ottoman sultans, so-called Caliphs, deviated from Islam. While the Ottoman Empire stagnated the cultures of Europe pushed forward, as we see happens back and forth throughout history.

These sultans deviated from Islam in an interesting way. As the Ottoman Empire couldn't compete with it's own ideas, it incorporated increasingly Western ideas, and along with the positive ideas, they also incorporated negative ones, such as the acceptance of alcohol. They did not abide by Islamic law, and kept huge harems of women as concubines, and they murdered family members who were seen as threats to succession. Gradually this once great empire, like Rome, decayed and fell to foreigners. After WW1 the empire was divided between the British and the French, the borders of today's countries in the middle east were drawn up by Western imperialist powers in order to keep us divided, to prevent another great caliphate from arising.

What can we learn? How can we reverse this?

• Like 1

If I may offer a perspective to the original question.

What can we learn? How can we reverse this?

What an interesting way of adjusting reality to your own liking and preference.

Historically, the Arab Golden Age fell in after the collapse of the Roman Empire and the Ummayads were able to conquer vast territories in a very short time. When the Abbasids took over, they found vast texts of knowledge, which were translated into Arabic and served as basis for further research. This was not done only by Muslims and not due to Islam. The Islamic Golden Age is thus a misnomer. Many Arab scientists actually criticised Islam and the Koran and concentrated on their scientific research.

Contrary to what many people think there were no sensational breakthroughs or major discoveries during this period. It was consolidation and some advance.

Military wise, it was the Arabs and Berbers who were the foreigners and they were pushed back into the Arabian peninsula first from Spain in the West and later Hungary in the East of Europe. The Arab countries were invaded by Mongols, Mamelukes, Turks and various other tribes, not only from the West.The arbitrary division of countries in the Middle East happened in the 20th century after the break-up of the Ottoman Empire by a group consisting of almost all countries on the planet, the League of Nations.

The factors of Emperor Friedrich dying, the invasion of Mongols and the recapturing of Spain all led to a concentration of the literal reading of the Koran which imposed a tight framework on the thinking capacity of people and they never recovered.

Today, a scientist who is also a Muslim is not allowed to research material which would be contrary to the Koran and since the Koran has an opinion on a number of things the areas of research are severely restricted. The consequence is that instead of discussing the responsible research of stem-cells, the Islamic community is discussing in what direction a Muslim has to pray while on the ISS. The scientific community is developing vaccines and Muslims are pondering over the question whether they are allowed to accept evolution. While physicists are searching for elusive sub-atomic particles, Muslims are debating on what day the fish was created which swallowed Jonah.

So, yes, the Koran encourages research - but only within the limits of the Koran. As long as people define and accept the spiritual contents of the Koran as the literal scientific framework, there can be little progress and advancement in my eyes.

• Like 1

We are here to share our thought and then we should adjust our thought to what reality that we have, so we can see is it possible to implement our thought and if not then how to make it possible.

To bring back the unity that we need, we can begin with the khutbah/sermon performed at Arofah every year in hajj ritual.

Now adays, every tent has their own khutbah. That's why even the khutbah performed more than 1400 times, we don't see something close toward unity or/and improvement.

Why don't we perform a single centralized khutbah? So, when going home to each of our country, we have something to elaborate.

• Like 1

Yes, we're suppose to finance and support poverty in anyway we can!

POVERTY IS THE BEST!

The disbelievers win Dunya, but the believers gain Jannah.

The earth is for everyone, and no one specificly owns the planet. Only lunatics are capable of dwelling in the idea that someone can own the planet. It's all in the mind of the people, it's a roleplaying game. No matter how much people want to believe that they are the owner of earth, the sun will rise every single day, to support their lunacy.

No matter how much people run away from hell, they will dwell therein eternally. No matter how much people walk towards heaven, they will walk towards it, eternally. You are an expression of the one eternal dreamer.

Sleep tight and dream on! We'll be there when you wake up...

So, "Why Are Muslim Countries So Behind?"

We need unity in Muslim nations, a single political and economic entity. Our own currency, a single leader. We should recognize that the Islamic state has priority over the individual, we should be willing to sacrifice everything for the security and advancement for such a state.
We aren't required to be poor in Islam, and we are allowed to enjoy the dunya, so long as it is through halal means. This dunya may have been Adam's punishment, and a fitnah for us but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make the most of it.

• Like 1

We need unity in Muslim nations, a single political and economic entity. Our own currency, a single leader. We should recognize that the Islamic state has priority over the individual, we should be willing to sacrifice everything for the security and advancement for such a state.

We aren't required to be poor in Islam, and we are allowed to enjoy the dunya, so long as it is through halal means. This dunya may have been Adam's punishment, and a fitnah for us but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make the most of it.

So size equals power then?

But on another level; how is 'behind' defined? With a lower standard of material wealth? Or technologically ground breaking?

Also, the idea that we are not 'good Muslims' is the reason 'we' are behind is untenable - if only because those countries who are deemed to be 'ahead' are often not Muslim at all! We can't have it both ways ..

Salaam,

Wahid

• Like 1