Islamic Forum
dd101

Having Second Thoughts About Islam...

I wanted to say the Shahadah but I had second thoughts about it. My christian friends tell me Islam is false because it was only seen by ONE person, muhammad but christianity was seen by hundreds of people. I don't know, and since I am catholic, I prayed to saints [which is idolatry] and when I prayed to them it came true most of the time so I am kind of confused. I am in the middle... also, another thing is that I am 13, since I was raised christian, I don't know how I will handle with all the pressure to bend down with my knees and pray to Allah, it seems like a very long prayer, I want to be a muslim in disguise but that cannot happen because I live with my christian family, if you have seen my other posts, I cannot wear a hijab, I cannot cover myself, I cannot do it, I tried it and it does not work... When I want to become muslim, I have to wait but I will not want to wait, then I have second thoughts going back to Christianity..

edit:

and my cousin even told me, Allah cannot forgive me since I have committed idolatry.

Edited by dd101

PropellerAds

Thank you.

Edited by dd101

It's completely wrong to say that Idolatry can never be forgiven if the individual ask for forgiveness before death. For example, Prophet (s)'s many companions were idolators. Yet they were forgiven when they repented seriously and accepted Islam. They later became the best of Muslims.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/quran/ma_shirk.htm
http://islamiat101.blogspot.com/2012/12/does-Allah-forgive-shirk-or-not.html

This just shows how ignorant your cousin is.

As for Hijab, and Prayers, try to do them gradually. No need to rush yourself into doing all of these together. First, and foremost you shall have belief in the tenets of Islam.

http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/sixpillarsiman.htm

It seems to me that your problem is really emotional and nothing more. It's only natural, perhaps, to panic a little after making any sort of big leap. But how silly do you always feel about it a little ways down the line? If, say, you get married and you get a little panicky about that on the day of the wedding, don't you think you'll look back on it years later and feel more blissful about staying than ashamed you were tempted to leave? Bear that in mind, sister, and don't you ever let yourself forget it.

Eternity. With Allah. And anything you want.

Christianity was seen by hundreds of people. Bah. Did Paul name any of these five hundred people? Did he give a single reference? We have only his own word for it. The hadith collections, on the other hand, are alone amongst the world's scripture in documenting several miracles by way of various, I believe sometimes independent full chains of narration.

The more you do the prayers the faster they seem to go by...and the better they feel. I’m sure your family will warm up to you. And even if not, again, Paradise. Even shirk is forgiven if you repent from it.

You sound to me like you already know in your heart that Islam is the truth. You’re just reluctant. It’s okay. With heaven as your destination you don’t have to be afraid of anything at all.

Edited by IAmZamzam
  • Like 3

Rest assured that the minute you recite the shahada, all your previous sins will be forgiven, even idolatry  You will be as pure as a new born baby, and all your sins will be wiped clean.

Its fine if you need more time to be sure, but remember  everyone of us will be accountable for their beliefs and deeds. No one, your cousin or even your parents, will be an excuse for you, Religion is something between you and your Creator.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Assalaam walaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon you).

Hello there~! I heartily congratulate you for being accepted into Islam!

See, it may seem that praying to saints and whatnot might fulfill your prayers, but I should tell you that it was just a mere coincidence. Who knows, Allah Himself might have fulfilled them, without you knowing.

Talking about prayers, at first, it may look difficult but when you try to learn with hard work, you can get used to it eventually. You are quite young and if you learn now, you will be able to pray easily when you become an adult, Insha Allah (Allah willing).

Here is the guide for prayer: http://ebookbrowse.com/en-my-prayer-booklet-inner-pages-pdf-d233735884

or you can refer to the guides posted in this site.

You are an undercover Muslim already. You have accepted Islam in your heart. To help you in your first step, I recommend that you say Bismillah before you start some activity such as eating, drinking, studying, etc.

On a side note, don't be swayed by your 'second thoughts'. After all, shaitaan exists to deviate us from the truth.

Be patient and try to work hard.

Edited by Hydden

Thank you brothers and sisters. I really want to muslim now, I think that is Allah's will. I feel it. I think it is Allah's will for everyone to be muslim but shaitaan interfers, just like hydden said. I will say the Shahadah now but can I say it in my head??? also, when you pray 5 times a day, what prayer is said and how do you cleanse yourself before Allah?

Thank you.

Edited by dd101

Love Allah (swt) with all your heart and be patient with yourself.  Allah knows your intent, and even if it takes you years to become a fully practicing Muslim, he will reward the true feelings you have in your heart.  Read the Qu'ran daily, pray to the degree that is possible for you right now, and be patient that one day you will be able to practice fully.  When you go to college you will meet many wonderful Muslim students and likely have access to a Muslim Students' Association on campus.  If you are not able to go to college, you can still visit the MSA at a local school to learn more about Islam. 

Be cheerful and loving to your family and always respect your parents.  Keep up with your schoolwork and work on developing the character traits of patience, truthfulness, and kindness.  You never know, your loving, peaceful example may lead them to Islam as well.  

P.S.  As a mom, I noticed the times on your posts (and assuming they are accurate), please make sure you are getting enough sleep.  Not sleeping will contribute to your feelings of anxiety and make the situation seem worse than it is.   

Thank you brothers and sisters. I really want to muslim now, I think that is Allah's will. I feel it. I think it is Allah's will for everyone to be muslim but shaitaan interfers, just like hydden said. I will say the Shahadah now but can I say it in my head??? also, when you pray 5 times a day, what prayer is said and how do you cleanse yourself before Allah?

Thank you.

Its great that you decided to recite the shahada. Please go here to learn how to say it, how to pray, how to cleanse yourself before prayers (ablution) and other basic tutorials for new Muslims:

Quick How-to Guide For New Muslims

I'm not sure if its ok to whisper your shahada. You don't have to shout it loud, but you can say it in a low voice that only you can hear (murmur it). That's how we pray too, when we are not praying in congregation, in a low voice that only the prayer hears.

P.S.  As a mom, I noticed the times on your posts (and assuming they are accurate), please make sure you are getting enough sleep.  Not sleeping will contribute to your feelings of anxiety and make the situation seem worse than it is.   

Ok. Is going to sleep at 11 o'clock okay?? Also, I just said the shahada and I felt a prescence, it did not feel just like one presence like many presence(S).

Edited by dd101
  • Like 1

Ok. Is going to sleep at 11 o'clock okay?? Also, I just said the shahada and I felt a prescence, it did not feel just like one presence like many presence(S).

11 o'clock sounds very reasonable (didn't mean to sound like I was scolding in my post -- it's likely that the times showing up on posts are inaccurate) .  Congratulations on saying shahada!  Masha'Allah!  Here is a link to Nye Armstrong's channel on Youtube (her video on washing before praying (wudu)):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WiF5WjTggs.  I recommend her videos, they are very positive and affirming for new muslims, especially young ladies. (http://www.youtube.com/user/iloveelhassan/videos).  

Hi. I just started crying today for no reason, it was not like I was sad or anything, it felt like happiness. I know in christianity, we say it's The Holy Spirit, what is it in Islam??

Hi. I just started crying today for no reason, it was not like I was sad or anything, it felt like happiness. I know in christianity, we say it's The Holy Spirit, what is it in Islam??

As-salamu 'alaikum

Faith in Allah. Sweetness of faith.

Allah filling your heart with his love.  Allaahu Akbar (God is Great)!

If I may? I realize you adopting Islam instead of catholism which is the faith of your parents. I could tell you to look at genisis, as well as 2 Maccabees. To find the answer on praying to saints is asking their intercession. But I won't. This to me is an issue of poor catechesis . Having said all of that I think you should follow the calling of your heart. You said your 13. That means that you can choose to follow Islam and your parents if devout won't stop you. Be honest with yourself and your parents.

Boy, you people just love to seize on the most insultingly literal interpretations of every single word out of our mouths, don’t you? I’ve corrected you so many times by now that I’m actually beginning to wonder if you’re doing it on purpose. If I explained this to you another twenty times you would still tow the same line every time it was convenient to do so, because the lesson will never sink in if you don’t want it to. We Muslims are very well aware (especially the ex-Catholic and ex-Christian ones, quite obviously) that the “intercession” of the saints is—in a literal-minded, official, technical way—not idolatry, and that the Trinity is not polytheistic, and that nobody now all out worships Mary—just as, for example, some people are considered “technical virgins”. These distinctions are just as well known as that one is, and just as ultimately meaningless. Matthew 5:21-37 contains a long list of laws taking several of the ten commandments and extending them from the literal and outward to the imaginary and the inward; it’s not hard to imagine that we must extract from them that the first two commandments are to follow. Be it graven or be it flesh an image is still an image.

But say that this really was a case of literal praying to saints and poor catechism. That doesn’t change what's clearly in our sister’s heart now—which she has already announced. So leave her alone already. She has felt the touch of Allah. I know something similar myself—how clean my soul feels sometimes after my salaat. What you’re really asking her to do is be dishonest with herself.

Edited by IAmZamzam

I am home alone. Is this a good time to pray to Allah?? I know some won't respond in time but I will anyway, it just came to my mind.

Assalamo alaikum

Find the accurate prayer times for your location here or here. Just type your zip code or city/town where you live. There are 5 obligatory daily prayers, fajr (at dawn time) dhuhr (roughly at noon time), asr (roughly 3~4 hours later, maghreb (right after the sun sets), and isha (roughly 2 hours later). Make sure you do ablution before praying.

Praying (salah) the 5 daily prayers in time is one of the 5 pillars of Islam, the second most important, coming directly next to the shahada.

Prayers/supplication (duaa) can be done anytime during the day or night. Th best moments for supplications are those during prostration, when your head is on the ground before your Creator, when your heart and your soul is nearest to Him. The number of prostrations you do in each salah differ:

fajr: 2 prostrations

dhuhr, asr and isha: 4 prostrations each

maghreb 3 prostrations.

May Allah Al-Mighty accept your prayers and supplications.

Now iamzamzam,

My friend I just want her to be honest both to herself and her parents. I'm not trying to dissuade her from her path. Just letting her know honesty is the best policy. Lying ultimately doesnt solve anything and may strain her relationship with her family. Because they'll find out either by their actions or hers. If she tells them they can get used to it. If she doesn't and they find out their feeling may be hurt and that won't help her.

I never said anything about her parents, did I? Yes, she shouldn't lie to them, I agree. Ideally she would need a Muslim who has been in her exact position, and who has seen several varying generations go by, to advise her beyond that point. I've kind of got nothing, at least for now, except for my prayers.

Are we through here?

Edited by IAmZamzam

Actually iamzamzam, we were never an issue. But yes, I've said what I needed to say to her. Dd I wish you well and may the peace of Christ be with you. In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

Salams,

Well, some non-muslim parents hate the idea of their children becoming a muslim. And they start a big fight that their children feel so down and this can impress the relationship between them in a very bad way. I even heard that some parents dismiss them from home. I know an Italian person who has to hide that she is a (practising) muslim from her family. She never explained why, but her mood while talking about this issue shows how serious the situation is. It is so easy for us to tell people to be honest and tell the truth but if the truth harms you somehow then you should keep it secret. Not everyone is open-minded, we can't ignore this.

I can understand that. It's true that people with strong religious traditions such as Catholics, which are taught to pass down the faith at marriage, can sometimes react badly if the child has other ideas. This is where age comes into play. At least in the Catholic Church. We're told to pass on the faith but at age 12 a child can make there own choice per the catechism. Now if the parents faith is well formed then even if they don't like it they'll have to respect it. That is the issue though. If their cafeteria Catholics ie only go on Easter and Christmas they may not know this. That is why catechesis is everything. After all, Catholics are told to spread the gospel. To be evangelical and bring people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.