Islamic Forum
infogirl

Hijab - An Oppression?

Assalamu alaikum,

Today I want to discuss about Hijab/Niqab. I visited Hijab youtube videos and I was shocked to see the amount of hatred non-muslims have towards Muslim women weariing Hijab. They simply think Muslim women are being oppressed, forced, have no rights whatsoever, they are barbaric and some even commented Muslim women wear Niqab so that they can carry the guns terrorists use. !!! 

Three things I want to know, I want answers from Non Muslims also

1 Why do you have such hatred towards Hijab/Niqab and think it is a torment to Muslim Women??

2 My fellow forum friends living in the western countries like USA, UK can you please enlighten me on how Muslim women are being treated there?

3 What would happen to our future generation, how can they survive in this world, I feel really upset and I feel helpless when I think of the future. 

Edited by infogirl

PropellerAds

I think the problems stem from the continuous media portrayal of Islam and Muslims.

If you go pre 9/11 no one was being bothered about hijabs on a Muslim woman- since then there are various attacks on persons observing their hijab- especially in Europe (Germany/France) where there is a lot of right wing support.

In the UK there are also incidents though not as much as in other Europe cities.

Assalamu alaikum,

I visited Hijab youtube videos and I was shocked to see the amount of hatred non-muslims have towards Muslim women weariing Hijab. They simply think Muslim women are being oppressed, forced, have no rights whatsoever 

Wa alaykum salam,

What is funnier is that even some "muslims" think this way. Shame on them. 

I was taking some private English lessons in a language centre, and i was the only hijabi girl in my class. I'm all okay with that. In that class, we were discussing about controvertial topics for practising our speaking abilities. I kept silent for a while since i didnt want to be a part of these, because i didnt agree what they said, and i felt so alone to speak out loud my "religious perspective". But still our crazy  American teacher asked my opinion, and every single person looked at me suddenly, we all laughed at that anyway, because everyone knew i thought different than them. Anyway, i told them my opinion in short, and they were surprised i wasnt "harsh" to them and i was just modest. 

After that lesson, 2 girls came to me seperately asking their personal issues in terms of religion, and after i answered them, they confessed that i was the first "religious" person who has been open-minded like that they've seen so far lol. 

I am sure they have prejudices in mind, but don't we make them think this way by acting so "isolated" and being so extremist? There is always a middle path to walk which Rasulallah just taught us, but we choose to seem rude many times. We as muslims should break those prejudices by being modest. They'll get the point by time if Allah gives them hidayat.

• Like 1