Islamic Forum
Amber

I Feel Like I Took Shahada At The Wrong Time...

Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters. 

A few months ago, I took my Shahada. Alhumdullilah I do believe, in my heart, that Allah is the one and only God, and that Muhammad (peace be upon him), was his final prophet. I took my Shahada as soon as I realized that my heart believes Islam is the key to a true, straight-path in life... However, I have not brought myself to be a practicing Muslim. I do not pray. I do not wear Hijab. 

I believe I should be doing these things, yet I have yet to begin PRACTICING despite becoming a Muslim. I feel as though I have failed completely. I feel as though I took my Shahada too quickly, without understanding the commitment I needed to make to Allah. I am ready to make that commitment now. I want to be a practicing Muslim. But I do not know what to do, or how to get rid of this guilt. I became a Muslim because I believe this is the correct path, yet I did not begin practicing the way I should have as soon as I took my Shahada. In fact, I took a few steps back. 

Is it possible to RE-TAKE my Shahada? I never took it with witnesses to begin with, I only took it by myself. How can I make up for this lost time? This is what I truly believe to be the correct way of life, and though I know I will not be able to wear hijab until I leave my parents' home, I could still become a good, practicing Muslimah in all other aspects. But how should I approach this? 

PropellerAds

We alikum esalam 

I don't believe you need to re-take it, I believe you need to be around muslims in real life too and take small steps in practicing, don't push your self to hard, take it very easy and slow :) 

All muslims have their ups and downs in life, and you are one of them :) 

• Like 1

If you retake or withdraw your shahada, after knowling that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is his messenger, you would be making the gravest sin anyone can make in a lifetime. No other sin comes close to what you have in mind.

Whatever sins you did after becoming a Muslima can be forgiven, if you repent sincerely and make true intention never to repeat it again. But, as humans, with known weaknesses, even if after repenting we did it again, Allah The Merciful can still forgive us. There is no limit to Allah's mercy. But beware: to leave Islam and become a kafir is to leave the mercy of Allah. Is that what you really want?

Waalaikum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh, Sis Amber.

I'll be straightforward. There is no such thing as 'wrong time' when taking shahada. In fact, any time is the right time for you to take it.

That feeling you had must be probably another form of 'frustration' you're talking about. I also took the shahada alone in English at first (silently to myself in my thoughts) and now I continue to do so in Arabic during prayers and dua. After all, most duas contain the shahada.

Let me share you some facts about myself. I also didn't pray initially for 1 year. Yeah, worse than your current situation, I tell you. I felt guilty watching a fellow Muslim going to/coming from a Masjid when I couldn't pray. And then I learnt salat from the internet. It was hard at first, but eventually I got used to it. Just learn the stuff bit by bit and ingest it slowly. You'll get used to it. Make sure you completely learn the salat before Ramzan.

I also don't wear the hijab currently due to tight circumstances. In fact, I simply wear a kurti (loose) and pajamas/jeans/pants all the time.

I'm apparently (patiently) waiting for a big diamond opportunity to present itself for me to follow Islam completely and sincerely. And I'm telling such a thing will present to you too.

So look at things on the brighter side. You can learn some sunnat actions and dua in the meantime since they please Allah (subhana wa taala). Read Surah Ya-Seen everyday as it's the heart of the Quran.

So, um, that's all I can tell you. Hope it helped.

Assalamu alaikum.

• Like 2

wa alaikum assalam

Begin performing salah, Allah knows about your intention.

4_48.png
Sahih International
Indeed, Allah does not forgive association with Him, but He forgives what is less than that for whom He wills. And he who associates others with Allah has certainly fabricated a tremendous sin.

If you retake or withdraw your shahada, after knowling that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is his messenger, you would be making the gravest sin anyone can make in a lifetime. No other sin comes close to what you have in mind.

Whatever sins you did after becoming a Muslima can be forgiven, if you repent sincerely and make true intention never to repeat it again. But, as humans, with known weaknesses, even if after repenting we did it again, Allah The Merciful can still forgive us. There is no limit to Allah's mercy. But beware: to leave Islam and become a kafir is to leave the mercy of Allah. Is that what you really want?

I was not speaking of leaving Islam. I KNOW Islam is the truth and that I should be doing my best to follow Allah. To die a non-practicing Muslims is better than to die a kafir. 

But I have never heard of RE-TAKING Shahada whilst still being a Muslim as being a sin. I've heard of Muslims taking their Shahada two or three times. I took mine alone, and I'm interested in taking it again at a Masjid- what is the harm in that? I would never renounce my faith between the two Shahadas. I'm a Muslim, and I will be until the day I die. I may be a non-practicing Muslim, but I am still a Muslim and I am trying to get on track. 

Most reverts I know took their Shahadas alone first, and then at a Masjid... How is that a sin? Because that is exactly what I want to do. 

• Like 1

We alikum esalam 

I don't believe you need to re-take it, I believe you need to be around muslims in real life too and take small steps in practicing, don't push your self to hard, take it very easy and slow :)

All muslims have their ups and downs in life, and you are one of them :)

There are almost no Muslims where I live, and that is where most of my problem lies. I am alone. Whenever I watch videos of Muslims praying together in unity, or hear the call to prayer in a video or on a movie, I'm literally brought to tears- because those Muslims are so lucky, Mashallah, as they have the company of one another and the unity of Islam in the friendships they have. I do not have that, and it makes becoming a good Muslim a very difficult task. :( 

Oh dearie! There's a misunderstanding! Allow me to clear it! :o

I think sir dot mistook 're-take' for 'taking it back'. Sigh. But Amber meant repetition, right?

Ah well, you see, I dislike conflicts (I don't know if this one is called as such). But still, I hope I'm not the one who's misunderstanding... ^^;

(Never thought there would be a filter for Allah H a f i z).

Oh dearie! There's a misunderstanding! Allow me to clear it! :o

I think sir dot mistook 're-take' for 'taking it back'. Sigh. But Amber meant repetition, right?

Ah well, you see, I dislike conflicts (I don't know if this one is called as such). But still, I hope I'm not the one who's misunderstanding... ^^;

(Never thought there would be a filter for Allah H a f i z).

Assalamu alaikum, sister! Yes, this is what I meant. I want to REPEAT my Shahada at a Masjid, in front of other brothers and sisters. I feel as though it would hep me along in my journey to and Islamic life. ^_^ I'm in no way RENOUNCING my belief in Islam, I am a Muslim. I am a non-practicing Muslim, but I am trying to find the inspiration in my heart to become PRACTICING, and I just feel it would be good for me to repeat Shahada in the presence of other Muslims, Alhumdullilah. 

Me too, I apologize for misunderstanding your post. (I mixed between re-take and take-back)

Of course, nothing wrong in saying the shahada again in a masjid or anywhere else. we say the shahada at least 5 times everyday in our prayers. We should also say the shahada again when we ever suspect that we did or said something wrong that might touch our faith.

Something all muslims face through their life time, I hope it helps insha Allah 

Causes of weakness of faith

<div class="answer" traditional="" arabic'="" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; margin-top: 10px; color: rgb(46, 80, 146);">Praise be to Allaah.  

A person may become negligent and that may lead to weakening his faith. The remedy for that is to pray a great deal for forgiveness and to constantly remember Allaah, and to read Qur’aan and focus on and ponder its meanings, for doing that will rid the heart of its carelessness and wake it from its slumber. And it is very important to do a lot of righteous deeds. 

There are several reasons for weakness of faith, including the following: 

1 – Ignorance of the names and attributes of Allaah leads to weakness of faith because if a person is lacking in knowledge of the names and attributes of Allaah, his faith will be imcomplete. 

2 – Neglecting to think of the signs of Allaah in the universe and to ponder His commands and prohibitions. This causes a lack of faith or at the very least it makes faith stagnant and prevents it from growing. 

3 – Committing sin, for sin has a far-reaching effect on the heart and on faith. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No adulterer is a believer at the moment when he is committing adultery.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2475; Muslim, 57). 

4 – Failing to do acts of worship, for failing to do acts of worship diminishes faith. But if the act of worship is something that is obligatory and it is neglected with no excuse, then this is a shortcoming for which a person is to be blamed and will be punished. If it is an act of worship that is not obligatory or it is obligatory but a person does not do it because he has an excuse, then this is a shortcoming for which he will not be blamed or punished. 

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Rasaa’il Fadeelat al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, 1/52 

We advise you to read Qur’aan a great deal and ponder its verses, for in that there is healing for what is in your heart, if Allaah wills. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“And We send down of the Qur’aan that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe”

[al-Isra’ 17:82] 

We also advise you to study the stories of the Prophets, for Allaah narrated them in the Qur’aan to make the heart of his Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and the believers with him, steadfast. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“And all that We relate to you (O Muhammad) of the news of the Messengers is in order that We may make strong and firm your heart thereby. And in this (chapter of the Qur’aan) has come to you the truth, as well as an admonition and a reminder for the believers”

[Hood 11:120] 

And we also advise you to read question no. 14041

O Allaah, make faith dear to us and make kufr (disbelief), evildoing and sin hateful to us, and make us of those who are rightly-guided.

Islam Q&A

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20059

wa alaykum as salaam 

sister when you realise faith is a journey it will be much easier for you to not be so hard on yourself. I wrote this post a while ago but I think it will help you.http://www.gawaher.com/topic/738708-the-growth-of-faith/?hl=%2Bfaith+%2Btree

I too a revert to Islam understand that especially the first year is the most difficult. It is a time of identity change where you want to feel part of Islam yet you can feel you are not because you do not know the things that other Muslims know but really once you make an effort to learn you will feel better and take it slowly. 

May Allah keep you strong