Islamic Forum
A-H

When Do You Think Wwiii Will Start?

Start of WWIII  

16 members have voted

1. 1. When do you think WWIII will start?

• 2013 (sometime this year)
    • 2018 (5 years from now)
    • 2023 - 2033 (10-20 years from now)
    • It has already begun
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Do you think end game weaponry will be used?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Who do you think will start it?

• United States of America
    • Russia
    • israel
    • Syria
    • Iran
    • Turkey
    • Saudi Arabia
    • NATO
    • China
    • North Korea
    • Other (please specify)

Salam.

For those who have been keeping up with the news for the past 13 years you can clearly see a geopolitical escalation in the Middle East. Sovereign nations in the Middle East have been toppling like dominos and as of recently a major superpower has entered the foray (Russia) in defense of Syria. Now Turkey is experiencing its own uprising. Iran is under political pressure regarding their nuclear program and israel have threatened to destroy those facilities.

In accordance with Islamic eschatology all the key players have assembled and given a little more incubation this may truly be the events that will lead to the emergence of the Mahdi, Dajjal and Jesus (pbuh) and ultimately the promised day.

In any case Allah knows best. Please participate in the poll.

Edited by A-H
  • Like 1

PropellerAds

I think it has already started, and it Is due to all of the superpowers and growing powers being concerned with...well, power. Yes, end-game weaponry is coming soon.

Edited by Amna4

Salam.

[at]Amna

I believe that when all is said and done (WWIII) historians will say that WWIII was already under way as you have stated.

I personally believe that the spark to official warfare will arise in 2014. The introduction of Russia is a shock to the international community and more than likely complacency will set in next year. No matter how many permutations I've pondered the only evident aggressor would have to be israel. They've threatened to bomb the S-300 systems pending delivery to Syria and Iran's enrichment facilities. I believe they'll [israel] will do something serious that will spark an international incident that culminates to WWIII.

Russia Today

April 19, 2013

israel prefers US to do the job in Iran

It would be more convenient for israel if the US attacked Iran because they have the capacity to do so, journalist and author Yossi Melman told RT.

The israeli intelligence expert argues that Tel Aviv’s possible strike on Iran is highly unlikely.

RT: How involved are israeli spies inside Iran?

Yossi Melman: Iran is considered by the israeli government and intelligence as the number one priority and therefore there is a lot of intelligence involved in order to get information. But when you say israeli spies it doesn’t necessarily mean that israel is recruiting and trying to send its own spies into Iran. There are other means of collecting information.

RT: Is israel behind the assassination of Iranian scientists and also hacking the Iranian computer systems?

YM: I can’t reveal my sources but it’s our understanding that israel was behind it. It’s based on some logic that it was a pattern identified with previous operations in other parts of the world. It’s part of the Mossad tradition in some rare cases to carry out its assassination attempts, and some other information which I don’t want to detail.

RT: The western world tried to use diplomacy to prevent North Korea from acquiring nuclear power, but it didn’t help. Do you think it’s the same situation with Iran?

YM: This is the point. Iran wants nuclear weapons for various reasons. They want to have hegemony in the region. Nuclear weapons in the hands of a country means national pride, scientific infrastructure, technological development. But also it gives the regime guarantees of survival.  We see the North Korean example. They have developed nuclear weapons. They even tested it though unsuccessfully. But they know that if you have nuclear weapons no one is messing with you.  This is the precedent, and Iran wants to repeat it. Diplomacy has failed with North Korea and is also failing with Iran.

RT: Do you think israel is trying to maneuver the US to attack Iran?

YM: I wouldn’t use the word maneuver. israel wants America to attack Iran as a last resort. If diplomacy fails, and it has failed so far, if the sanctions aren’t working. At the end of the day Iran wouldn’t cave in to the pressure and would assemble a bomb. In such a case israel prefers the US to do the job not only because it’s more convenient. Above all the US has the capability to inflict a major blow on Iran’s nuclear sites, while israel’s capabilities are very limited.

RT: What do you think was happening behind the scenes during President Obama’s recent visit to israel? Who exactly was putting pressure on who vis-à-vis Iran?

YM: I think Obama simply asked israel not to do anything not coordinated with Washington. In other words, not to attack Iran unless it is coordinated with the US.

RT: Could israel carry out an attack without coordination?

YM: I don’t believe so. I wrote it in my book, I’ve been writing it in my newspaper articles. I don’t think israel will attack Iran, because israel’s capabilities are limited. We can do it, but the damage we can inflict upon Iran and its nuclear sites is very limited. The big question is the if the damage would be that low that Iran will be able to rebuild its nuclear sites in 12-18 months then I think it’s not worth taking the risk.

RT: What would be the difference between an israeli strike on Iran today as opposed to the strikes israel carried out on Syria in 2007 and on Iraq in 1980s.

YM: Huge difference. Syria was taken by surprise. There was one target. The distance was very short. Not much armament to be carried. israel was confident that all its airplanes would return home safe. With Iran it’s the opposite. The distance is longer. israel doesn’t have enough aircraft to carry out an effective attack on Iran. Iran would certainly retaliate and maybe drag israel into a long conflict.

RT: At the same time when israel carried out those strikes it was very quiet about the operation. As you say these were surprise operations. Now there is a lot of noise happening around the possible israeli attacks on Iran. Could that suggest that the israelis are concerned that they might not in fact be able to carry out a successful strike?

YM: That’s the argument. If you want to carry out an operation you don’t talk and especially at the level of the israeli leaders. Netanyahu has been talking about it. That is one reason why I don’t think israel would attack Iran.

RT: The former Mossad director Meir Dagan publicly said that he was against a strike on Iran. What was he offering instead?

YM:  They said there should be a more covert operation to try to slow down Iranian nuclear sites, but above all israel has to coordinate such operations with the US and the international community. israel shouldn’t take the lead in the Iranian case. Dagan’s argument is, if israel attacks Iran the damage will be limited, Iran will be able to rebuild its nuclear capacity and will use this attack as a justification for building nuclear sites. They would have said: ‘You see, we need nuclear weapons because we were attacked’.

RT: When you wrote a book did you have any censorship problems? You don’t talk too much about Kidon, the Mossad unit that was allegedly in charge of overseas operations.  Why not?

YM: Well, the book was written by two of us – by me and an American journalist. My chapters were censored because any israeli is obliged to do it, while my co-author didn’t have to. But I think we have this is the book. We are very proud of a chapter talking about the Kidon unit, which is the spearhead of Mossad special operations.

RT: Does Mossad get away with some of the operations because of these israeli censorship laws?

YM: No, it has nothing to do with it. If Mossad is conducting an operation abroad and it is revealed outside israel the censorship doesn’t work. The international media can write about Mossad overseas operations as long as they are informed. On the other hand the israeli media is subjected to this censorship. I have said many times that it should be lifted.

RT: The israeli journalist sometimes have to rely on foreign reports to quote on what is happening inside israel. Do you think that the Prisoner X incident brought to the fore the shortcomings of the censorship laws in this country?

YM: Absolutely. The example of Prisoner X, the Australian who was recruited by Mossad, was arrested for betraying the country, and committed suicide, shows how the censorship is working.  Don’t forget about the gag order, because of which we journalists cannot write about some issues. I tried to fight a gag order when Prisoner X was still alive, I went to the courts, and I lost the case. I was kicked out by the judges, who said that the ruling would remain intact. But it showed the failure of the system, because the only ones who didn’t know anything about the Prisoner X were the israeli public.

RT: Does that mean that there are other people who could be locked up?

YM: One of the damages the Prisoner X case did to israel is that it worsened its image as a free democratic society.

RT: Is there a trust in the relationship between the israeli and American intelligence?

YM: We exchange information and assessments. Sometimes we hold joint operations with the Americans.  But obviously the trust is not 100 percent. There is always a kind of mistrust because you don’t share even with your best friend everything you possess.

RT: Have the israeli enemies ever managed to plant agents within the israeli government?

YM: The answer is yes. Our history has a lot of such cases. All-in-all these are rare cases because the general trend is that israeli society is difficult to penetrate due to a great sense of patriotism in the country. It’s a very homogenous society. israel is more difficult to crack than other countries.

The Guardian

May 26, 2013

israel’s defence minister signals that its military is prepared to strike shipments of advanced Russian weapons to Syria

Russia has said it will supply one of its most advanced anti-aircraft missile systems to the Syrian government, hours after the EU ended its arms embargo on the rebels, raising the prospect of a rapidly escalating proxy war in the region if peace talks in Geneva fail next month.

israel quickly issued a thinly veiled warning that it would bomb the Russian S-300 missiles if they were sent to Syria, as such a move would bring the advanced guided missiles within range of civilian and military planes over israel. israel has conducted three sets of air strikes on Syria this year, aimed at preventing missiles being brought close to its border by the Lebanese Shia group Hezbollah.

Haaretz

May 29, 2013

“Given the spectrum of other available options, military force should only be employed against the program as a last resort,” write retired four-star American general James Cartwright, recently the deputy chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Maj. Gen. (res.) Amos Yadlin, former head of the israel Defense Forces Military Intelligence and israel Air Force chief of staff. “Yet the military option must still be credible, and ready to use if necessary. This case study is intended solely to stimulate and inform further discussion on the potential repercussions of different strike options.”

The case study was published simultaneously on the website of the Institute for National Security Studies at Tel Aviv University, of which Yadlin is the director, and the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

The report lays out the following hypothetical scenario: “The prime minister of israel has just received a phone call from the White House relaying the findings of a recent U.S. intelligence assessment: international sanctions and negotiations with Iran have yet to persuade the regime to halt its nuclear drive. Tehran previously rejected a generous U.S. offer that would have allowed it to enrich uranium in exchange for strong nuclear safeguards, and the program continues to advance unabated. After agreeing to convene in Washing¬ton in one week to discuss strategy going forward, the prime minister and president each call a meeting with their national security advisers.

“The [American] president’s team acknowledges that the United States is war weary, debt laden, and politically gridlocked. With U.S. forces having just withdrawn from Iraq and on a path to end combat operations in Afghanistan by late 2014, many hope that the attendant diversion of resources will spring the country from its financial woes and accelerate its economic recovery.

“Nevertheless, the president, the prime minister, and their advisers reaffirm that a nuclear Iran is an unacceptable threat to U.S. and israeli national security, with the president reiterating his strong and repeated 2012 commitment to prevention. Each leader then reviews the red lines that the regime has already crossed since 2004 regarding enrichment of nuclear material, as well as the UN Security Council resolutions it has violated in its pursuit of nuclear weapons. They also consider the fact that five rounds of diplomatic negotiations (in Geneva, Istanbul, Baghdad, Moscow, and Kazakhstan) have failed.

“In light of these concerns, both leaders agree that the time has come to ready their contingency options for a military strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities. But if such action does indeed become necessary, they ask, which country should launch the attack—the United States or israel?”

According to Cartwright and Yadlin, “The U.S. military’s superior capabilities- including B-2 stealth bombers, air refueling craft, advanced drones, and 30,000-pound massive ordnance penetrators – are more likely to severely damage Iranian targets. Yet the United States has no operational experience in strikes against such facilities, unlike israel, which successfully conducted similar opera¬tions against the Osiraq nuclear reactor near Baghdad in 1981 and, according to foreign reports, against a Syrian reactor in 2007.”

They add that any israeli action would require its planes to cross the airspace of at least one other country (Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq or Syria). In contrast, an American attack could be conducted directly from American military bases or from American aircraft carriers stationed in the Persian Gulf or elsewhere.

In the event that the countries pursue military action, Cartwright and Yadlin recommend an American surgical strike on Iranian nuclear sites, but not a full aerial campaign against Iran’s entire military forces. The two also object to a broad approach with ground forces because, they reason, a limited attack will enable Iran to respond in a limited manner and not drag the entire region into war.

According to Cartwright and Yadlin, an israeli attack on Iran would provoke greater criticism from the Arab world than an American attack, but they also think that the strength of an expected Arab reaction should not be exaggerated. They acknowledge that Sunni public opinion is far from supportive of Iran because of the latter’s support of the Assad regime in the murderous Syrian civil war.

The authors do present a few reasons in favor of an israeli attack. They point out that israel’s moral basis for bombing Iran’s nuclear sites, as the country directly threatened with destruction, is stronger than America’s. They also mention that the United States is not interested in another war with an Islamic country after its wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Times of israel

May 30, 2013

Syria–We will retaliate against any israeli aggression

Syria’s foreign minister laid out a hard line Wednesday, warning that Syria would “retaliate immediately” if israel strikes Syrian soil again. Earlier this month, israeli warplanes reportedly twice struck near the Syrian capital, Damascus, targeting purported Iranian missiles intended for Assad’s ally, the Lebanese militia Hezbollah.

“We’ve declared to the world that we will retaliate immediately if israel attacks again,” Walid al-Moallem said in an interview with the Lebanese TV station Al-Mayadeen. ”Any aggression will be met with a response of a similiar magnitude.”

World Tribune

May 31, 2013

NATO data: Assad winning the war for Syrians’ hearts and minds

LONDON — After two years of civil war, support for the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad was said to have sharply increased.

NATO has been studying data that told of a sharp rise in support for Assad. The data, compiled by Western-sponsored activists and organizations, showed that a majority of Syrians were alarmed by the Al Qaida takeover of the Sunni revolt and preferred to return to Assad.

Times of israel

June 1, 2013

McCain: Syrian rebels need heavy weapons

Arizona senator who recently visited Free Syrian Army leaders says opposition can’t face Assad’s tanks with AK-47s

Syrian rebels battling the forces of President Bashar Assad must receive ammunition and heavy weapons to counter the regime’s tanks and aircraft or it will be impossible for them to prevail, Sen. John McCain said days after he quietly slipped into Syria to meet with the opposition.

Al Arabiya
June 6, 2013

The Syrian regime army has the green light to respond to any future israeli attack without referring back to its “leadership,” a Syrian lawmaker has told a Lebanese television stattion, warning that Syria is ready for an “open war.”

“Next time, if israel dares to breach the Syrian airspace, next time, there are orders to retaliate with fire and missiles without referring back to the leadership,” Ahmad Shalash told al-Mayadeen television.

“Let it all out, they want an open war, let it be an open war, we don’t have a problem.” He added.

Shalash vowed that the Syrian regime army will continue to fight for embattled President Assad to “the ends of world.”

He said “with the presence of God’s men” Assad’s army will go as far as to reconquer Andalusia, prompting a wave of scornful statements on the social media.

President Assad had said last month in an interview with Hezbollah’s al-Manar TV that his army “will respond in kind” to any future israeli strike. Citing “popular pressure” Assad said he plans “for different scenarios, depending on the circumstances and the timing of the strike.”

Salam bro. Unfortunately it already started with the invasion of Palestine and spread with US government's "war on terror". However, the war is not and will not be something like west vs east or religion vs religion.. (I guess it will be more like between social classes.. poor vs elite..) Anyway, about Islamic eschatology in hadiths, I suggest Sheikh Imran Hossein's analysis.. Also, Ustad Said Nursi has interpretations on Akhir Zaman incidents which you can study here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?6dbeh4c934s8liw ma salam

Edited by Matemkar

Salam

Thank you Matemkar for posting the link. It was a contemplative read.

I've been watching Sheikh Imran Hossein's lectures pertaining to Islamic eschatology for some time now. In fact it was his lectures that inspired me to create this thread. According to Sheikh Imran Hossein we are on the verge of an all-out war within the next 10-20 years. I've been keeping up with the news and it really looks that way.

LA Times
June 14, 2013

WASHINGTON--The White House said Friday that it will take weeks to deliver weapons and ammunition to Syrian rebels despite the rising death toll in the civil war and pleas for speedy assistance from anti-government forces.

The United States has created supply pipelines and set up intermediaries to deliver humanitarian aid to the opposition for several months and will use them to send direct military assistance to the Supreme Military Council, an umbrella group of rebel factions, Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes said.

“In terms of timelines, we've established these pipelines, so I think you should see this as a continuum,” Rhodes said. “There's already material that has been flowing in to the opposition, and that will continue to be the case in the weeks to come. So, we don't anticipate that this is something that is far off into the future.”

Another administration official confirmed that the administration is talking about delivery in a matter of weeks, not months. They follow recent rebel losses to President Bashar Assad’s security forces and their allies in Hezbollah, the Lebanese militant group, and reports of fresh fighting in the country.

Rhodes declined to say what military equipment Obama plans to send. Other officials said the administration plans to send small arms at first and may provide antitank weapons at some point. Some Obama advisors are skeptical of providing shoulder-fired anti-aircraft weapons out of concern that they could fall into the hands of al Qaeda and other Islamist groups that are seeking to topple Assad.

Gen. Salim Idris, head of the U.S.-backed military wing of the Syrian opposition, said in an interview with the Al Arabiya TV network that he hopes to receive the “weapons and ammunition we need in a few weeks.”

The intensity of fighting and recent gains by government troops and Hezbollah created concern at the White House that the rebels may be in danger of losing the war. A new U.S. intelligence assessment that Assad’s forces used nerve gas several times pushed Obama to reverse himself and help arm the rebels, although at a slower pace than advocates had hoped.

Rhodes did not rule out eventually sending U.S. aircraft to impose a no-fly zone in Syrian airspace. But he said an air campaign would be more “difficult and dangerous and costly” than it was in Libya, where U.S.-led airstrikes helped rebels oust dictator Moammar Kadafi in 2011.

Obama plans to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin next week at the G-8 summit in Northern Ireland, and is expected to ask Putin to withdraw Russian support from Assad. U.S. officials hope Russia can apply pressure to bring some elements of the Syrian regime together with the opposition to work toward a political settlement.

Leaders should pressure Assad “to come to the table in a way that relinquishes his power and his standing in Syria,” Rhodes said.

“We don't see any scenario where he restores his legitimacy to lead the country,” Rhodes said. “So we're fundamentally making an interest-based argument to the Russians that they can best protect their interests by being a part of a political settlement that is real and that enables a transition away from Assad's rule.”

nsnbc International

June 16, 2013

Dumas, “Top British Officials Confessed to Syria War Plans Two Years before Arab Spring”
Posted by Christof Lehmann

Christof Lehmann (nsnbc),-  The former French Foreign Minister Roland Dumas admits, the war on Syria was planned two years before “The Arab Spring”. Dumas states in a TV interview, that “top British officials” confessed that they were preparing a war on Syria and asked “If I wanted to participate”.

The former French Minister of Foreign Affairs appeared in a TV interview with the French TV Channel LPC, saying:

“I am going to tell you something. I was in England two years before the violence in Syria on other business. I met with top British officials, who confessed to me, that they were preparing something in Syria”.

Dumas continued, indicating that the subversion and invasion of the Syrian Arab Republic with the help of “rebels” was primarily a British plan, while he carefully avoided implicating himself and France, saying:

“This was in Britain not in America. Britain was organizing an invasion of rebels into Syria. They even asked me, although I was no longer Minister of Foreign Affairs, if I would like to participate. Naturally, I refused, I said I am French, that does not interest me”

Dumas continued the interview, pointing to the role of israel in the Middle East and israel´s role with regard to western Middle East foreign policy and the war on Syria. The war has so far cost an estimated 93.000 lives and has displaced more than two million since the onset of the western subversion attempt in 2011. The majority of those who were killed were Syrian civilians, murdered by western-backed insurgents and terrorists.

Dumas also indicated that nothing had changed since the Sikes – Pikot European colonialism in the Middle East, and implicitly argues for the legitimacy of European colonialism and warfare on behalf of the Zionist state of israel.

What annoys Dumas is apparently not neo-colonialism and violations of international law, but the fact that western powers are not open and honest about it. Dumas said:

“This operation goes way back. It was prepared, preconceived and planned… in the region it is important to know that this Syrian regime has a very anti-israeli stance”.

“Consequently, everything that moves in the region…- and I have this from a former israeli Prime Minister who told me ´we will try to get on with our neighbors but those who don´t agree with us will be destroyed. It is a type of politics, a view of history, why not after all. But one should  know about it”.

With his statements, Dumas aligns himself legally and politically with Henry Kissinger, who doubts whether the provisions of international law on national sovereignty and non-interference into domestic affairs of sovereign nations, enshrined in the Treaty of Westphalia and the Charter of the UN apply to “former colonies, whose borders have been arbitrarily drawn by former colonial powers”.

Although Dumas was careful to avoid implicating France or himself directly in the planning stages of the subversion, his statement reveals that British officials have been vetting and contacting leading French policy makers for their potential involvement in planning the illegal war on Syria, at least two years before the onset of the first “incidents” which sparked mass protests. International analysts as well as Syrian sources have since 2011 maintained, that the eruption of violence was systematically created from abroad.

Whether Dumas will ever have to testify before an international war crimes tribunal under oath and risk of perjury, to tell a judge who exactly the “top British officials” were, who attempted to recruit Dumas, who allegedly rejected the offer of “taking part” is doubtful as long as the International Criminal Court, ICC at The Hague remains the sole option for the prosecution of war crimes.

Translation of Dumas´statement from French into English by Geraróid Colmáin.

• Like 1

• Like 1

Uploaded: 06-19-13

Islamic and Christian Eschatology is pre dated by Jewish Eschatology . They echo what has already been written by the Jews .

Islamic and Christian Eschatology is pre dated by Jewish Eschatology . They echo what has already been written by the Jews .

I'm not surprised. Judaism and Christianity were all valid religions of Allah in their unadulterated states. Judaism was superseded by Christianity and Islam superseded them both.

• Like 4

Call it whatever you want , the Hebrew writings predate all other writing as far as eschatology goes . And they are accurate in their  original and unchanged form since 200 C.E.

Whether Christianity or Islam co-opts them is irrelevant , their predictions are immutable . And they will come to pass as sure as the sun will rise . We are seeing the beginnings of those predicted signs this day .

Edited by Aligarr

One thing that always saddens me greatly is how Jews and israel is frequently demonised when Muslims talk about the Middle East. It takes two to a conflict.

Neither israel nor "the Jews" are monsters, or even "apes and pigs". They are people, like you and me. And they can be kind people too, which many Muslims are incapable of understanding.

Here is a story of a little very sick girl who has fled Syria with her mother. It is a very moving story.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-syria-heart-girl/

There are a fair number of such tales, and doctors from Syria , in desperation, send people by the bus load to israel for treatment, as things get from bad to worse there. They get help. They are not imprisoined, hated or used as a bargaining chip. That is as it should be.

Have a look at the map. israel is a tiny speck on the map of the "Muslim world". Making peace is in everybody's interest.

One thing that always saddens me greatly is how Jews and israel is frequently demonised when Muslims talk about the Middle East. It takes two to a conflict.

Neither israel nor "the Jews" are monsters, or even "apes and pigs". They are people, like you and me. And they can be kind people too, which many Muslims are incapable of understanding.

Here is a story of a little very sick girl who has fled Syria with her mother. It is a very moving story.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-syria-heart-girl/

There are a fair number of such tales, and doctors from Syria , in desperation, send people by the bus load to israel for treatment, as things get from bad to worse there. They get help. They are not imprisoined, hated or used as a bargaining chip. That is as it should be.

Have a look at the map. israel is a tiny speck on the map of the "Muslim world". Making peace is in everybody's interest.

I understand that there are genuinely good people in this world irrespective of creed. I know that there are Jews in israel that genuinely wish for peace. For those of understanding know that peace is something that will never happen.

You are correct , there will be no peace by the hands of men . It will be instituted as predicted by the Jewish Mosciach . This was predicted , just as the situation today was predicted precisely by the Jewish prophets .  israel would be surrounded by the armies of the world , and Jerusalem , the stumbling rock upon which feet will be dashed .  There is a reason why graves of the Jews face the Eastern Gate .  Just as Russia is drawn down into the middle east by God as if hooks placed in her jaw , we are now witnessing those days predicted .

Aligarrr, your religion says "non-religion". Do you follow a religion? Are you a Jew?

The Truthseeker: Obama's arrest, Bush's trial (E18) [06-28-13]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrTeBDetcfw

Edited by A-H

Aligarrr, your religion says "non-religion". Do you follow a religion? Are you a Jew?

No , I am not a Jew . I follow no religion . I read the books of them all . I believe in ONE God .  I think the Jews got it right . Atleast their prophets have been correct .

israel behind mystery attack on Syrian port - US sources [07-13-13]

'israel dares not to pick a fight with super powers' [07-13-13]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYV98RQzbMM

PM to push US for ‘more credible military option’ on Iran

Times of israel

[07-13-13]

If new ‘public diplomacy’ effort fails, Netanyahu will have to decide whether to attack Iran by winter at latest, TV report claims

Times of israel

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is reportedly to launch a new, last-ditch effort in the next few days to persuade the United States to credibly revive the military option against Iran.

If this proves unsuccessful, Channel 2 reported, Netanyahu will have to decide whether to launch an attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities by this winter at latest, because after that, the report indicated, the assessment is that israel’s window for military intervention will close.

israel desperately wants to see the Obama Administration harden its position on Iran immediately — to convey to Iran that if it does not halt its nuclear program, its regime will not survive. Instead, however, Jerusalem sees what it considers an overly tolerant and patient attitude by Washington DC to Tehran, the Channel 2 report said.

Next week, the P5+1 powers — the five UN Security Council members, plus Germany — are set to meet to coordinate positions ahead of possible talks with incoming Iranian President Hasan Rouhani’s leadership. The fear in Jerusalem, the TV report said, is that Iran will prove capable of buying more time in such talks, while its centrifuges spin, its other nuclear facilities move forward, and it becomes too late for effective military intervention.

Netanyahu is about to begin a new effort at “public diplomacy,” aimed at securing “increased pressure on Iran,” led by the US, notably including the revival of “a real military threat” if the Iranians don’t halt their nuclear drive, the TV report said.

If the prime minister’s effort fails, “Netanyahu will have to make a decision in the next few months” over “whether to attack Iran by the winter.” The report stressed considerable support for a resort to military force within the cabinet, and concluded: “This could happen.”

Some scenarios relating to a possible israeli attack, the report said, include a possible response led by Hezbollah, firing missiles into israel, which would require the use of israeli ground forces in Lebanon, possibly “including the invasion of Lebanon by the IDF.” Other, milder assessments suggest an israeli strike and Iranian response might not lead to regional war, the report said.

The TV report noted that the departing israeli ambassador to the US Michael Oren, in an interview Thursday with Haaretz, compared Netanyahu to prime minister Levi Eshkol, who preempted a concerted Arab attack on israel by launching the 1967 war, and said the invoking of Eshkol was not coincidental.

On Iran today, said Oren, the question Netanyahu faces “is similar to the question that faced [first prime minister David] Ben-Gurion in May 1948 and the question that Levi Eshkol faced in May 1967… As prime minister of a sovereign state, Netanyahu has the responsibility to defend the country. When the country is a Jewish state with a painful and tragic history – the responsibility is even greater and heavier… Defending israel is not an option – it’s a duty.”

Was Netanyahu emotionally capable of going to war? “I think so,” said Oren. “He doesn’t sleep at night. He bears a tremendous responsibility on his shoulders. And he has restraint; he isn’t dragged into unnecessary wars. But this restraint is actually a sign of strength – as it was with Eshkol.”

israel used Turkish military base to airstrike Syria arms depot [07-14-13]

that's sad.. I am ashamed to be Turkish.. :(

that's sad.. I am ashamed to be Turkish.. :(

I've been waiting a week to see this fleshed out with more information but no new developments have come out on the matter except Turkey's denial of the matter as soon as RT aired the story. As a Muslim I'm obliged to give a Muslim the benefit of the doubt so I'll trust Turkey on this matter.