• 5 posts
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Salam,

I don't know if I would be welcome. I am very serious about this. Nobody
has formally introduced me to the religion though. I was raised Christian and
have been a serious believer all of my life, up until two years ago I
have been questioning my faith, but have not completely let go or ruled
out that Christ was the son of God or miraculous. I have done some reading from Muslims on websites and I am already familiar with the culture. One of the main
reasons why I want to become Muslim is because I feel the
Christian community has failed me and I am drawn to how disciplined
Muslims are; I think I would feel safe and covered by Islam. I am afraid that if I don't become part of a community that takes their life serious I am literally going to die. Is my
reasoning for considering becoming Muslim acceptable? Would I be
unwelcomed for the concerns I mentioned, including the fact that I can't
go as far as denouncing Christ? If I would be welcome, then where
should I start?

#2 fathi

fathi

• PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

sounds like you might want to do some more reading:  http://www.islamreli...m/articles/547/

#3 Celeste

Celeste

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

sounds like you might want to do some more reading:  http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/547/

I appreciate your response. I think my inability to denounce Christ though possibly comes from me being raised believing in him. Deep down, regardless of facts, I just have a deep, possibly immovable fear, of rejecting him. I also can't help but to have a special love for him. I will take some time to think about what was in the link you sent me. Thank you.

#4 Nile_Salafy

Nile_Salafy

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,706 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Muslims believe in Jesus and his Mother Mary. We do have a chapter in our holy book named After her. 

We can't be true muslims if we don't believe that Jesus was prophet

#5 SaracenSoldier

SaracenSoldier

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hello Celeste. Welcome to the forum

You don't have to denounce Jesus(peace be upon him) AT ALL. We Muslims believe in Jesus(peace be upon him) as one of the great Prophets of God and we LOVE him. In fact a person can NOT be a Muslim unless they believe that Jesus(peace be upon him) is a Prophet of God.

What we believe however, is that Jesus(peace be upon him) is NOT the Son of God. God does not have any partners, children, etc. God is alone and He has told us to worship only HIM. So Jesus(peace be upon him) was just a prophet of God like all the other Prophets. He was not the Son of God. This is what a Muslim believes. All the miracles that Jesus(as) did were from God and not Jesus(as).

#6 A-H

A-H

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:I've always loved language. It's art to my ears, music to my tongue, and utter chaos for the pen; it could never keep up.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Salam.

One should only become a Muslim if they truly believe in Allah, the one and only God without any partners and Muhammad (SAW) is his servant and messenger as well as the last day (judgement day) and the unseen world. There is no other valid reason to become a Muslim.

As for the matter of Jesus it is as Salafy stated. We believe in Jesus and his return. We believe in the books revealed to Moses (AS) and Jesus (AS). Due to mans tainting of these texts they have been superseded by the Quran. We do not believe Jesus (AS) is the son of God. Jesus (AS) isn't going anywhere; he should be spoken of honorably like those of the cross have been doing.

Edit: Looks like SaracenSoldier beat me too it :lol: (kept my comment window opened too long).

Edited by A-H, 30 June 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#7 A-H

A-H

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:I've always loved language. It's art to my ears, music to my tongue, and utter chaos for the pen; it could never keep up.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

You are saying that one should only become a Muslim if he truly believes Allah is God and Muhammad is his messenger, but If one believes that, isn't he or she already a Muslim?

You are correct. You are a Muslim at heart but Islam is based on the 5 pillars and a house isn't a house until it has it's foundations.

1. Shahadah (testifying to the oneness of Allah)

2. Prayer

3. Fasting

4. Zakat

5. Hajj

Edited by A-H, 30 June 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#8 fathi

fathi

• PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

@ Redeemed, firstly I can tell that you are quoting King James, stop that.  As someone from the Southern United States I can tell you there is error after error in that particular translation. 

Now if you would like research as to why Jesus was not the literal son of God I can give you website after website as I personally do not feel like going into a debate that has been time and time again by myself and others when the information is already out there.

@ Celeste, I understand completely as someone who was raised Christian in the Bible belt.  I read and memorized Bible verses, went to church camp, youth choir, praise worship and originally started researching Islam as somone who wanted to prove that it was wrong. 

#9 A-H

A-H

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

You mean I was actually right about something concerning Islam? Wow, you see I am learning. Oh, I knew about the 5 pillars. That makes Islam a works based religion as well as believing the shahada; am I right?

Yes :yes:.

Mohammad, the Prophet of Allah (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him), said :

“The superstructure of Islam is raised on five (pillars) : testifying that there is no God (none truly to be worshipped) but Allah, and that Mohammad is the messenger of Allah, performing the prayer, paying the Zakah (poor-due), fasting the month of Ramadan, and performing Hajj.”

However, it would not be sufficient for anyone to only utter this testimony oraly either in private or in public; but rather, he should believe in it by heart with a firm conviction and unshakeable faith. If one is truly sincere and complies with the teachings of Islam in all his life, he will find himself a new born person.

What is the meaning of worship? It simply means rendering sincere service, showing reverence for Allah. In a deeper shade of meaning, it implies total submission and complete obedience to Allah’s commandments both in utterances and actions of man whether explicit or implicit.

Excerpted from: How to Become a Muslim by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

#10 dot

dot

[email protected]

• Administration
  • 17,209 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

@Redeemed
" I never said God seared Jesus"
What do you mean by the word "seared" please? I looked it up, and I could only find cooking technique related meanings.

#11 gilito

gilito

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

Here are ten questions for you:

1. Do you think it is fine to beat your wife, but wrong to eat pork sausages?
  2. Do you think there is no error in the Quran, because the Quran says so?
  3. Is everything bad that ever happened to you someone else’s fault?
  4. Do you loudly demand respect from everybody, but respect nobody else?
  5. When you see a Jew do you get angry?
  6. Do you think homosexuals should be stoned to death but it is OK for old men to have sex with little girls?
  7. Do you fly into a rage when you hear about a teddy bear called Mohammed, but blowing up tourists leaves you indifferent?
  8. Do you believe you are better than other people, and non-Muslims are like apes and pigs?
  9. Do you think refining heroin for a living is just fine, but have a moral objection to liquor?
  10. Do you like alternative medicine, particularlycamel urine?

If you answered “yes” to any of them, then you should definitely convert to Islam.

#12 A-H

A-H

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

What is the meaning of worship? It simply means rendering sincere service, showing reverence for Allah. In a deeper shade of meaning, it implies total submission and complete obedience to Allah’s commandments both in utterances and actions of man whether explicit or implicit.

Redeemed Said:

I accept this. I believe we should present our bodies as living sacrifices holy and acceptable to God which is only our reasonable service, but I believe we better be doing it to and for the right God and not one impersonating the one and only true God that there is.

I believe God is not for a works based practice then man can boast and take credit for earning God's paradise. I believe eternal life, paradise the kingdom of heaven is a gift from God that can only be received by faith and God's grace operating in our life by faith that works by love which will transform us to God's liking; this way, God gets all the glory and not man for earning his way to paradise. We cannot buy, earn or work our way to God's paradise. Everyone who have tried have failed miserably and will continue to fail. We can't reach God; we can only let Him reach us and accept the gift of eternal life on God's terms no ours!

In Islam no man/woman can ever earn paradise. It is given to Allah's servants by his grace and mercy. The reason for "works based practice" is to earn rank. Those who strive in the cause of Allah will have greater rank than those who strove very little. This is why there are degrees and levels to heaven and hell. It is a reward from their lord for their good and their wickedness; each shall be rewarded accordingly. In Christianity they are referred to as "degrees" of reward.

No Muslim takes credit for Allah's blessings. There's a reason why Muslims say Allahu Akbar (Allah is greater) and Subhan'Allah (glory be to Allah) and Alhamdulillah (praise be to Allah) and others. We give praise to whom it is due (Allah). We don't say these things for naught; it is to remember Allah and in doing so each of our praise to him will be rewarded.

As for the matter of impersonating the one true god, I believe man's ego wins there. No one can solve for god like you solve for "x" in mathematics. God is not an element that can be sought out with a particle collider. God creates out of naught and is beyond comprehension. If you wish to know the one true god you must look in the heart, mind and soul of man for there is where you will find the one true god.

Edited by A-H, 01 July 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#13 A-H

A-H

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

You: "---but I believe we better be doing it to and for the right God and not one impersonating the one and only true God that there is."

Me: "As for the matter of impersonating the one true god, I believe man's ego wins there."

You: "I am not sure what you mean by man's ego wins here."

It was meant as a joke.

You are from New York. So am I  Williamsburg, Brooklyn NY.

Well, from what you said here Islam is resembling more of what I believe. It seems that we can earn rewards but never eternal life, but to be honest with you, I'd rather be like David said a door keeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness in high places.

I am not sure what you mean by man's ego wins here.

I do not believe man can find the true God looking to himself in anyway. In me dwells no good thing.

Like Jesus said, "Why do you call me good? only God is good" Of course Jesus wasn't saying He wasn't good; He was speaking rhetorically and wanted the young man to realize that by calling Jesus "good master," He was calling Him God, but the young man didn't pick up on it. If I were there knowing what I know now,  I would have said, but you are good Jesus; you are the son of the living God. Like Jesus said to His disciple "blessed are you for my father has shown you that from heaven"  

To see the true God, I must never look in, but I must look up for my redemption draws nigh.

PBUY bro from NY yeaaaaaaaa

It's nice to know that what we can take away from all of this is that Islam and Christianity are more alike than different and that in itself is an accomplishment.

Take care from Westchester County NY. :thumbsup:

Edited by A-H, 01 July 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#14 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

Salam,

I don't know if I would be welcome. I am very serious about this. Nobody
has formally introduced me to the religion though. I was raised Christian and
have been a serious believer all of my life, up until two years ago I
have been questioning my faith, but have not completely let go or ruled
out that Christ was the son of God or miraculous. I have done some reading from Muslims on websites and I am already familiar with the culture. One of the main
reasons why I want to become Muslim is because I feel the
Christian community has failed me and I am drawn to how disciplined
Muslims are; I think I would feel safe and covered by Islam. I am afraid that if I don't become part of a community that takes their life serious I am literally going to die. Is my
reasoning for considering becoming Muslim acceptable? Would I be
unwelcomed for the concerns I mentioned, including the fact that I can't
go as far as denouncing Christ? If I would be welcome, then where
should I start?

You can take a look at some threads on the forum about Jesus and Islam. We believe in Jesus as others stated. 

http://www.gawaher.c...us-our-creator/

http://www.gawaher.c...-of-jesus-pbuh/

If you feel Islam is right for you and you feel comfortable in your heart that you believe it is the right way then you can become Muslim by saying shahadah. This is known as the testimony of faith. There is no need for you to say it in front of people if you do not wish, you can just say it between you and Allah because He is the witness to everything you do, say and feel. 

#15 Celeste

Celeste

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hello Celeste. Welcome to the forum

You don't have to denounce Jesus(peace be upon him) AT ALL. We Muslims believe in Jesus(peace be upon him) as one of the great Prophets of God and we LOVE him. In fact a person can NOT be a Muslim unless they believe that Jesus(peace be upon him) is a Prophet of God.

What we believe however, is that Jesus(peace be upon him) is NOT the Son of God. God does not have any partners, children, etc. God is alone and He has told us to worship only HIM. So Jesus(peace be upon him) was just a prophet of God like all the other Prophets. He was not the Son of God. This is what a Muslim believes. All the miracles that Jesus(as) did were from God and not Jesus(as).

Thank you. What do Muslims think about the part in the Bible where it says nobody comes to the Father except through Jesus?

#16 Celeste

Celeste

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Salam.

One should only become a Muslim if they truly believe in Allah, the one and only God without any partners and Muhammad (SAW) is his servant and messenger as well as the last day (judgement day) and the unseen world. There is no other valid reason to become a Muslim.

As for the matter of Jesus it is as Salafy stated. We believe in Jesus and his return. We believe in the books revealed to Moses (AS) and Jesus (AS). Due to mans tainting of these texts they have been superseded by the Quran. We do not believe Jesus (AS) is the son of God. Jesus (AS) isn't going anywhere; he should be spoken of honorably like those of the cross have been doing.

Edit: Looks like SaracenSoldier beat me too it :lol: (kept my comment window opened too long).

That is helpful. Thank you. It's not letting me press "like", even though I haven't liked anybody's posts today.

Lol, I am sorry, of course God didn't cook Jesus. I used the wrong word; I meant God didn't sire Jesus as in a man having intercourse with a woman to procreate. Lol, sorry My bad. I had asked my wife how to spell it, and she gave me the spelling as seared Lol

I was wondering what you meant by sear, I didn't think that sounded right. lol

@ Redeemed, firstly I can tell that you are quoting King James, stop that.  As someone from the Southern United States I can tell you there is error after error in that particular translation. 

Now if you would like research as to why Jesus was not the literal son of God I can give you website after website as I personally do not feel like going into a debate that has been time and time again by myself and others when the information is already out there.

@ Celeste, I understand completely as someone who was raised Christian in the Bible belt.  I read and memorized Bible verses, went to church camp, youth choir, praise worship and originally started researching Islam as somone who wanted to prove that it was wrong. 

I am interested in your story. I live near the Bible belt. What made you originally question it? Do you think Christians interpret the Bible wrong or the Bible is written wrongly about Jesus? What do you think about where it says nobody comes to the Father except through Christ for example? My problem is probably different in yours in that I have always believed he is the son, but I plan on reading both interpretations of Jesus with this new question in mind.

I feel awful to say this, but lately since I started questioning Christianity, I started getting a manipulative vibe about my religion. I hope nobody takes offense to this, I am just trying to state where I am coming from so that I can work through it. I guess one of the complaints that I have is that a lot of Christians equate forgiveness to no justice. I truly believe God even in the Bible is a God of Justice, but maybe there is a disconnect somewhere for so many Christians to behave this way. I feel like whatever goes wrong, people demand that I forgive them. I know it is good to forgive, but it seems to me a large amount of people have it down wrong. It doesn't mean that you are off scott free because you are forgiven. And I think in turn, a lot are frivolous with their life because of it. But I am sure Muslims believe in forgiveness and I don't know why I don't see the same problems in their community.

But back to manipulation. Like I said, I feel like a large amount of Christians do not practice what they say they believe in and I don't know why. Part of it, a lot of Christians don't have a back bone. You can manipulate them or pressure them into things, and vise versa. I have these two professors at my Christian school who love to teach forgiveness and Jesus, but one put on a movie filled with sex and nudity in class, which I was highly offended by and she refused to not continue on with the movie after I said something, and another one has a filthy mouth. And I think the part that really bothers me about it, is it's not that people don't mess up or a few angry words slip out of his mouth, but it doesn't even occur to him that it's inappropriate. Same thing for her. I mean I go to one of the most conservative kinds of religious schools and I still this.

Here are ten questions for you:

1. Do you think it is fine to beat your wife, but wrong to eat pork sausages?
  2. Do you think there is no error in the Quran, because the Quran says so?
  3. Is everything bad that ever happened to you someone else’s fault?
  4. Do you loudly demand respect from everybody, but respect nobody else?
  5. When you see a Jew do you get angry?
  6. Do you think homosexuals should be stoned to death but it is OK for old men to have sex with little girls?
  7. Do you fly into a rage when you hear about a teddy bear called Mohammed, but blowing up tourists leaves you indifferent?
  8. Do you believe you are better than other people, and non-Muslims are like apes and pigs?
  9. Do you think refining heroin for a living is just fine, but have a moral objection to liquor?
  10. Do you like alternative medicine, particularlycamel urine?

If you answered “yes” to any of them, then you should definitely convert to Islam.

That is a hateful and ethnocentric answer.

#17 A-H

A-H

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

That is helpful. Thank you. It's not letting me press "like", even though I haven't liked anybody's posts today.

I'm grateful that it was helpful to you (alhamdulillah).

Certain forum functionalities are disabled until your post number gets to a certain number.

Thank you. What do Muslims think about the part in the Bible where it says nobody comes to the Father except through Jesus?

I believe this means that you cannot be a Christian except through the teachings of Jesus (as). It does not mean you have to believe that Jesus (as) is the son of god lest your deeds are in vain.

In Islam it can amount up to the same thing with our prophet Muhammad (saws). This is because we are told to do as he does and not to innovate or Allah will not accept it. In that respect one does not go to Allah unless we follow the examples of Muhammad (saws).

Awf ibn Malik reported that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said, 'The Jews split into 71 sects: one will enter Paradise and 70 will enter Hell. The Christians split into 72 sects: 71 will enter Hell and one will enter Paradise. By Him in Whose hand is my soul, my Ummah will split into 73 sects: one will enter Paradise and 72 will enter Hell.' Someone asked, 'O Messenger ofAllah (Peace be upon him), who will they be?' He replied, 'The main body of the Muslims (al-Jama'ah).' Awf ibn Malik is the only one who reported this Hadith, and its isnad is acceptable." And in another version of this Hadith the Prophet (Peace be upon him) goes onto say that the saved sect, "...Are those who follow my and my Sahaba's path" (Tirmidhi, vol. 2, pg. 89)

We must follow the straight path or we will not be successful.

#18 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

"I don't see anywhere that the Quran states the Bible was corrupted; in fact those that followed the Bible during Muhammad's time were considered people of the Book and that Book wasn't the Quran. I am I right?"

Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say:"This is from Allah," to traffic with it for miserable price!- Woe to them for what their hands do write, and for the gain they make thereby. (2:79)

The Book referred to in the above verse of the Qur'an is none other than the Book of the people of the Book. 

By the way, evidence in regards to the Bible's corruption has been posted. However, it has been ignored by you and other Christians. You ignored the information of the tikkun soferim and the problems regarding the Masoretic vs. Septuagint. Upon request, I can post the same information in this thread.

#19 Amna4

Amna4

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

Welcome to the forum. I am a convert to Islam from Christianity. Please, do more reading on Islam.

In order to accept Islam, you must reject the divinity if Jesus (pbuh). He is to be respected and revered as a Prophet and Messenger of Allah swt. This is definitely the most difficult concept to grasp for converts. May Allah guide you.

#20 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

In the Quran & Hadith, the term People of the Book (أهل الكتاب‎ ′Ahl al-Kitāb) is used to refer to followers of monotheistic faiths "which pre-date the advent of Islam." In particular, it refers to the Christian & Jewish faiths. The question is are People of the Book believers? If they are, then Islam is not necessary to avoid eternal torment in hell. Moreover, when the Quran refers to the People of the Book there it gives no indication the Book is corrupted. It is a good Book when referring to the People of the Book. Do you see where I am going with this?

Now, if the People of the Book are disbelievers, then I don't see the logic in the Quran; for instance, why did Allah allow for so many people (Billions of people) for so many yeas to be led astray by books they themselves did not corrupt? Moreover, being that Allah is an omniscient being who knows the hearts of men, why would he give people a test he knows they would fail? And what is worse, why would he send them to hell or eternal torment?

Please post the evidence to Biblical corruption again. Because this is what you need to convince me of. From what I can tell there are three possibilities:

1. The original Judeo-Christian scriptures have been corrupted (as you claim).
  2. Muhammad imperfectly borrowed from the Judeo-Christian scriptures.
  3. The Qur'an has been corrupted

Just like you are not willing to believe the Quran is corrupted, I am not so willing to believe the Bible is corrupted as you would like me to believe. Post the proof again. Again that verse you quoted doesn't prove the Bible is corrupted. It is not even proof it is referring to the Bible. Show the proof please.

Please post your prove on the debate thread. I would move this there but I don't know how. Moderators please feel free to move it to the debate section Thank you

Some of the people of the Book are believers and some are disbelievers. For example, the originals followers of Moses, peace be upon him, are believers. Those who followed David, Elijah, Solomon, etc. peace be upon them all, are believers. For example, the Jews who rejected Jesus, peace be upon him, are disbelievers even if they accepted Moses and the rest of the Prophets, peace be upon them. The same applies to Christians. They rejection of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, makes them disbelievers, not to mention their belief in the Trinity and other beliefs. 

The questions you ask are quite meaningless. Why did God allow Moses, peace be upon him, to stay for too long on the mountain? Why didn't He send Moses, peace be upon him, to prevent the event? Why did God allow the Torah to be buried until a priest under Josiah's time found it? Why did He allow the Israelites to worship idols in the Temple seeing that their forefathers did this and they were ignorant? The answer is God has given them free will. God does not interfere in every single situation. All humans were believers at one point at the time of Adam, peace be upon him. Why did God allow them to forge false religions? Because He has given people free will. The same applies to the corruption of the Bible. Why did God allow the lost books mentioned in the Bible to be lost?

O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Now has come to you Our Messenger (Muhammad saws.gif) making (things) clear unto you, after a break in (the series of) Messengers, lest you say: "There came unto us no bringer of glad tidings and no warner. " But now has come unto you a bringer of glad tidings and a warner. And Allah is Able to do all things. (5:19)

Worry about yourself rather than billions of people. Those whom the Message did not reach will have an excuse on the Day of Judgement whereas you won't. God will test them on the Day of Judgement for obedience when they tell Him that the Message did not reach them. This goes for the Jews and Christians who were ignorant. It goes for the people of other religions as well.

The verse refers to the Bible. It has been understood by Muslims to refer to the Bible since the Prophet's (pbuh) time. This is what Ibn Abbas, the cousin of the Prophet, who would be in Christian terms termed as a disciple, said: 

Az-Zuhri said that `Ubadydullah bin `Abdullah narrated that Ibn `Abbas said, "O Muslims! How could you ask the People of the Book about anything, while the Book of Allah (Qur'an) that He revealed to His Prophet is the most recent Book from Him and you still read it fresh and young Allah told you that the People of the Book altered the Book of Allah, changed it and wrote another book with their own hands. They then said, `This book is from Allah,' so that they acquired a small profit by it. Hasn't the knowledge that came to you prohibited you from asking them By Allah! We have not seen any of them asking you about what was revealed to you.''

Here is on the tikkun soferim: http://www.gawaher.c...on-islam/page-2

Masoretic vs. Septuagint: http://www.gawaher.c...ures/?p=1238433

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Convert