• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fathi

fathi

• PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:59 AM

as salaam alaiykum

I was wondering if a person were to buy prepackaged meat at the supermarket would it still constitute halal? 

#2 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

wa alaykum as salaam 

does it have a halal sign on it? If so then ok. But really I think its always best to buy from a local butcher because I always feel the meat will be more fresh and reliable than buying it from a packet. Just look at what happened in Europe a few months ago when some brands of pre packed meat was scanned and found to have traces of mainly horse meat but also some pork! If you know of a local halal butcher go to them and not the supermarket.

#3 dot

dot

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

:sl:

In addition to what the sister said, if there is no Muslim butchers around, then If in the supermarket the cow/chicken was slaughtered by a Jew or Christian, then you can eat it, but say Bism Ellah before eating it.

If not sure how it was killed, then its safe to only buy fish.

You can also buy meat from kosher outlets. They always slaughter.

I also suggest that you speak to the brothers in the masjid to know where they buy meat from.

#4 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Wa 'alaikumu as-salam

Supermarket meat is not halal if the name of Allah/God has not been mentioned during its slaughter.

Eat not of that on which Allah's Name has not been pronounced, for surely it is disobedience. (Chapter 6, verse 121).