Islamic Forum
FriedRice

Should I Fast If I Haven't Yet Learned How To Pray?

I feel like maybe I shouldn't be fasting because I recently reverted, but I am so intimidated in learning how to pray.  I do want to learn, but I read that I should not be fasting during Ramadan if I have not learned salat.  I feel like a failure and I am completely overwhelmed with how much there is to learn.

Edited by FriedRice

PropellerAds

As-salamu 'alaikum

No, you should fast, as fasting is an obligation. You don't have to know how to pray in order to fast. It is not a requirement. 

Please relax and don't let the new information overwhelm you. You have to take baby steps.

Learning how to pray can be a challenge. It is alright if it takes some time. However, fasting has a short learning curve. You intend to fast before dawn sets in. When the dawn arrives, you don't eat, drink or have sexual intercourse. You break your fast after the Sun has set and say Bismillah when you break your fast by eating or drinking. 

Please don't feel like a failure because you are not. God-willing, you will be successful.

Assalamo alaikum brother

As brother Younes mentioned, fasting is one of the 5 pillars of Islam, so you should fast, as it needs little learning. You only need to learn that fasting is not just stopping eating and drinking, but also stop any bad acts, speaking ill of anyone, sexual look or contacts, and to do good the whole month, and read Quran a lot, and pray as much as you can.

In the mean time, please see those simple tutorials

http://www.gawaher.com/topic/257749-quick-how-to-guide-for-new-muslims/

You can easily learn how to do ablution and perform prayers in easy steps by following those tutorials.

as salaam alaykum 

it will definitely be a big new step for you as a new Muslim but the rewards for fasting are so great you do not want to miss out on them. And Allah will truly recognise your efforts in fasting. Take it one day at a time and it will be easier. The month of Ramadan is a very special month and you can also take time to learn how to pray during this month. Many people spend this month reading the whole quran and praying a lot so you should also start to gather information about learning how to pray. We will be here to help you if you have any questions or if you want to share your worries. May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.

:sl:

You should try to fast as many as possible. If fasting all of them is too hard for you, then it is excusable as you are a new Muslim. And you should keep on learning prayers in Arabic. Now you can use English.