Islamic Forum

Is it halal for non mukhrim to have private conversation with one another through Instant message, skype, or any kind of private messaging? Technology has changed our ways of life, and i have been curious, how does Islam deal with this matter?

Your positive response is highly appreciated. Thanks :)

PropellerAds

Assalamo alaikum

I'm not a scholar, so consider this my personal opinion, not a ruling. I'll quote the ruling later.

I think it is not permissible for a woman to have a private chat with a non-mahram man, even through text only, with one exception: if the intention is to look for a husband/wife to get married, but the chat should not turn into anything that arouse any sexual feelings. I think that humble text chat can be a great way to find someone to marry. specially for those Muslims living in non-Muslim societies, where there is hardly any Muslims out there to marry. The following ruling is too harsh, and doesn't take those Muslims into consideration.

I am a sister, who usually logs in to Paltalk and then goes to the Islamic rooms so that I may gain some knowledge related to our religion. Sometimes while I am in one of those Islamic rooms in Paltalk,a muslim brother(looking for a wife) in the room asks me to have a private written chat with him so that we get to know one another. Some of the questions he asks me are: where i live, my age, whether i am married(by the way I am not married), if I am planning to get marry, whether I live with my parents, and so on. My problem is, I don't know whether I am allowed(Islamicly) to give non-muharim brother those kinds of informations which related to me. 
Is it really SIN to talk to a brother in writing ??.

Praise be to Allaah.  

There is nothing wrong with a Muslim woman making use of the internet and entering the Paltalk website for that purpose, so long as that does not lead to anything that is forbidden in Islam, such as talking privately with men. That is because talking to men may turn into chat which usually leads temptation. Hence it is essential to be strict and avoid that, seeking the pleasure of Allaah and fearing His punishment. 

How often have these conversations lead to bad results, and even caused people to fall in love, and have led some to do things that are even more serious than that. The Shaytaan makes each of them imagine attractive qualities in other, which leads them to develop an attachment that detrimental to their spiritual welfare and worldly affairs. 

Sharee’ah blocks all the ways that may lead to fitnah (temptation, trial), hence it forbids softness of speech and does not allow a man to be alone with a non-mahram woman. Undoubtedly these private chats are not regarded as khulwah in the sense that he people involved cannot see one another, but they are one of the greatest causes of fitnah as is well known. 

What has happened to you is the best testimonial to the truth of what we are saying, because it is difficult for a man to ask these personal questions of a believing woman, unless he uses these means that are being used in a bad way. 

Fear Allaah, and do not speak to non-mahram men. This is safer for your religious commitment and purer for your heart. You should note that marriage to a righteous man is a blessing from Allaah, and a blessing cannot be acquired by means of sin. 

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen (may Allaah preserve him) was asked: What is the ruling on correspondence between young men and women, if this correspondence is free from immorality and love? 

He replied: 

It is not permissible for any man to correspond with a woman who is not his mahram, because of the fitnah (temptation) involved in that. A person may think that there is no fitnah, but the Shaytaan will keep trying until he tempts him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded those who heard of the Dajjaal to keep away from him, and said that a man may approach him as a believer, but the Dajjaal will keep trying until he leads him astray. 

Correspondence between young men and women involves a great deal of fitnah and danger, so we must avoid it, even though the questioner says that this correspondence is free from immorality and love. 

From Fataawa al-Mar’ah, compiled by Muhammad al-Musnad, p. 96. 

Undoubtedly correspondence via chat rooms is more dangerous than correspondence by mail, but both are bad. 

And Allaah knows best.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/34841

I agree with the quote brother Dot has posted. If we speak objectively through a forum such as this, it should be fine. If we were to switch to video calling, instant messaging in private, etc... It wouldn't be good.

Edit:: I'm not a scholar either

Edited by Amna4

Assalamualaikum,
I once believed that mere texting or chatting with nonmahram was okay, but after searching through many scholars' opinions, now I know that is wrong according to Islam, moreover if it lead to video call, video chat, etc. If you want to get married with that guy, you should go to halal procedures in Islam. Do not go through saytan's way eventhough it is so tempting otherwise you will be mislead.

The Prophet Muhammad saw said, "Whenever a man is alone with a woman the Devil makes a third. (Hadith - Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi 3118, Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab , Tirmidhi transmitted it)

Allah (swt) says: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their
gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them:
and Allah is well acquainted with all they do. And say to the believing
women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they
should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily)
appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not
display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's
fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons,
or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands
possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who
have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their
feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye
Believers! turn ye all together towards God, that ye may attain Bliss. "
(24:30-31)

Wassalam

Hello, dot, amna4 and raihanna. Thank you very much for your insights and feedback.

I agree that we should avoid any kind of action that will lead to fitnah.