Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
male

What To Call It And Is It Right In Islam?

Assalam-o-alaikum! Before, I ask the question, I would like to give the big picture of situation. There is an old age person who hasn't taught me in school or college, but I have learnt alot from his life, his words, his conversation, who followed the Sunnah very well and being regular in his prayers. I call him my teacher. I know him for last 7 years. We meet regularly in masjid. With time going on, the affection and respect grew in my heart for him. The point is that for last couple of years, whatever work I am doing, he keeps coming in my thoughts, wishing to be in his company, to listen his words of wisdom. This feelings is like a 24/7. My question is, is it right in Islam to remember another brother in Islam this much. is it love, friendship?

PropellerAds

Wa alaikum assalam

Are you married brother? do you have a good relation with your father?

This could be love for the sake of Allah, although the over-attachment could have perhaps filled a missed part in your life.

Give us more info about yourself to be able to give you a better advice.

I am single however in near future I am going to marry INSHALLAH. I had great relationship with my father and love him alot. He passed away a couple of years ago. May Allah bless him with HIS unending mercy and also rest of the muslim brothers and sisters.

It seems that the loss of your father perhaps made you search for someone to replace the role model he was to you. If so, its a fine and healthy relationship. Insha'Allah when you get married, and be attached to your wife, your love for her, and the new responsibilities will leave less room in your mind for the your respected "teacher".

Dear brother, it's a human nature to naturally attach ourselves to person/people who have been kind, sincere, and benefited us. Especially if the person is the one whom we've been connected with, for a long time. Perhaps it's your father loss, I don't know, or just his kindness left a deep mark to you that you feel like finding water in desert.

Just a little rambling, a famous muslim mystical poet Rumi was known for his attachment with his teacher (whom he married with his daughter) Shams Tabrizi and they love and enrich each other souls for the sake of Allah. So much that when Shams left, because he fears their attachment hinders them from Allah, Rumi wrote thousands of lines of poems inspired by Shams. This is natural. But there's a difference with attachment and over-attachment.... :)