Islamic Forum
Guest FireyWitness

What Makes A Christian Convert To Islam?

Guest FireyWitness

Many Christians convert to Islam in my country. I would like to know why. Perhaps a testimony of what help those who were once Christian choose Islam would be helpful in getting me to understand.

I am looking at Christians who convert to Islam and Muslims that convert to Christianity, and I am carefully comparing and contrasting the two. I know why Muslim convert to Christianity, but I don't understand fully why Christians convert.

I have heard some testimonies online, but it would be as personal as hearing it from those on the forum.

Thanks

Edited by Redeemed

PropellerAds

Well I think everyone's story differs although there can be similarities. These stories can be long I will try give you a brief account of mine as I haven't really shared my story in full on the forum before. 

Well my family are not very religious themselves but we practiced the usual things such as easter and christmas. I attended a catholic school and definitely got a catholic education in primary school. After primary school the education system started to introduce world religions. You just learn the basic concepts of Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism. I remember at the time thinking Islam was my least favorite when I learnt they pray 5 times a day. It is so funny when I think of this now. I was actually pretty religious from an early age. As I said my family are not very religious but for some reason I was...like I attended mass alone from the age 9 onwards, I used to pray to God at morning and night, I always wanted to watch religious films especially at easter and christmas because they would be on tv. None of this was put on me by anybody else it was something that came from me. 

But then when I started to learn about those world religions I started to become interested in other ideas. I think most teenagers go through a phase like this anyway. I particularly became interested in Buddhism. I experimented with it for a while but then got bored of it as I felt I had no connection with it. Then when I was about 16 I had moved myself away from going to church and saying Christian prayers but at the same time I still believed in God. I didn't really know what God was because I was confused of the concept. I just knew there was some power above us and that this life had meaning. At this time a lot of my friends had started to become atheist and I really felt like their outlook on life was wrong. Then I started to become very interested in astrology, numerology and hand reading. I spent a lot of time buying books about these subjects and studying it. But really I know at those times I felt lost. I have kept my journals that I wrote during those years and I can see that I was very lost but I kept referring to how I wish God would give me a different life and yea I am quite surprised when I think about it now how much I referred to God in those writings because I wasn't at all following Catholic teachings. 

So then I met a Muslim. This is actually a common way people become Muslim as they meet a Muslim and then want to know about their religion. The person never actually spoke about religion to me but told me if I wanted to learn about Islam I should read the quran. And so anyway time moves on and then I decide I want to learn about Islam. I did not read the quran. I searched the internet and watched a few video lectures of people speaking about Islam. They were saying things like women have no rights in Islam, Islam is a backward religion etc and so I was like no way am I into this. But for some reason I kept coming back to it. When I was 17 I said shahadah but really at the time I feel I did it for the wrong reasons yet it brought me to the right reasons 6 months later when I said shahadah again. That is the day when I feel I really became a Muslim. It was the first time I just went to the quran for guidance. That night I was so down and depressed and it just came to mind to open the quran on a random page. I did not actually have a hand copy of the quran so I just randomly clicked my mouse over surah titles and it landed on ad duha and the first verses I read was that ' And He found thee wandering and He guided you'. And it was in that moment that my life changed and I felt something click into place. It has been 3 years since then I don't regret it at all. I have really become a different and better person. You can say it was a coincidence that I found those verses but for me it was destiny. For me there was a reason I had always felt close to God and that is why He has shown me the way.

Maybe for some christians they come to Islam due to the nature of Jesus etc but these arguments did not attract me to Islam at first. It was something different that I can't really put into words. But I realise now that when I was a Catholic I never viewed Jesus as God, I always understood Jesus to be a man even though I had been taught the trinity I realised it never clicked in my mind. That is something I only realised after becoming a Muslim. And something that at first made me think Islam is the last religion I would join actually attracted me which is the discipline. I love self discipline and praying 5 times a day, fasting etc are all things that I think if we can do we are really achieving something for our own character. And when I read more and more about the life of Muhammad I truly felt I wanted to be like him. I admire his courage and bravery in the face of evil. Not everybody could do what he did. He was offered fame and money but rejected it for God. He didn't live the most luxurious life but he was humble. I feel sad for people who cannot see the true character of Muhammad because they say he did these things for women, for money, for glory etc but when they say these things it immediately shows how little they know of his life. He gave up so much to be a messenger of God. And I truly believe he is a brother in faith with Jesus and all the other prophets. 

Obviously as time has moved on I have also learnt a lot more about Islam than when I first became Muslim. I could give a lot of reasons now as to why Islam is the right religion but none of these things made me choose Islam.They certainly of course increase my faith now but at the time It was a mere connection I felt that brought me to Islam. So yea that's it really. 

• Like 1

I was faithful to go religiously every week for months, but I was bored out of my mind, and I told God this. That is when God spoke to me through the church bulletin. The words were on fire saying "Your name will be called Peter" I said, "But Lord my name is Al" 

Can you please expound on this? Do I understand this correctly? You read your church's bulletin, which is a kind of leaflet, mini-magazine, right? The church bulletin quoted the passage from the Bible where Jesus is quoted telling Peter the Apostle that he will be called Peter, and you thought that it was referring to you?

You took that verse as if Allah was doing it or saying it to you although the context was referring to Muhammad who was wandering and set on the right path meaning before he was on the wrong path.

Firstly I do not appreciate such comments because you are basically saying Muhammad was on a wrong path. You just said yourself that you always believed in God but you were praying for a sign of some sort. Why can't you believe that Muhammad also always believed in Allah was also in a similar position. We are all human and we wouldn't know the right way if God had not have guided us. He is the one who has sent prophets since Adam to continue to guide us and without that guidance we would be lost. I felt a connection with that verse because I was in a similar position where I always believed in God but I needed some sort of guidance. 

And everyones journey in the world is different. I do not feel a connection to any sect in Christianity. I do not feel the bible is logical in the same way the quran is logical. That is my right as we all have freedom of conscience which Allah has given us. We make our decisions about what life we take and those decisions will be brought before us on judgement day where Allah will be the judge. For those who left Islam for Christianity that is their own decision which I am not too bothered by. 

Yes, but it was like the words were jumping out of the page. It is kind of like what happened to Paradise Lost who opened the Quran and took the verse "I found you wandering and put you one the right path" as being for her. It is not something I can expect you to understand, but it was God communicating with me in a way I cannot deny. It is my personal testimony and experience. This things happen to me few and far between.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Catholic Church is upon misguidance, but your story is no proof of it. Yours is just a story of omens and superstition. But it's good you told this story so we can know with whom we are communicating.

No, I don't think your story is anything like ParadiseLost's. Many people who have been searching for the Truth can relate to the verse she quoted, even people who have been on the Truth their whole life, i.e. born Muslims.

From when I was young, I struggled with the idea of Jesus' (pbuh) divinity. It never made sense to me how there could be more than one God. As I was studying for confirmation (I was raised Catholic as well), I also began studying other religions in the world. As I grew older, Islam kept coming back to me a the most logical explanation to all of my questions. If something answers the questions you've always had in a logical, believable way, then why would you dismiss it? That is why I converted.

• Like 1

Born Muslim? You believe everyone was born Muslim, but I wasn't; in fact, I don't believe anyone is born submitting to God. I believe we have to learn how to obey God through the things we suffer in this life.

I meant people who are raised as Muslims versus people who converted.

Oh, I see. I was born Catholic. I am a product of my past but not a prisoner to it. To you think those born Muslim are closer to Allah than those who convert. So, what do you mean by it is good I told you so you know who your dealing with?

No, I don't that those who are born/raised Muslim are necessarily any closer to Allah than those who have converted. A born Muslim can be closer to Allah than a convert and vice versa. It all depends on the individual.

It's good to generally know a little bit about the background of a person you are dealing with. 

Redeemed.  No human, even prophets can guide people to Islam.  Men can only give the message.  Then it is between the seeker & Allah.  Only Allah can give permission for one to be muslim.

You asked "is there another explanation for the fiery words??"

And he said, The LORD came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them.  Deuteronomy 33:2

Seir is At-Tur in Qur'an.  Mount Paran is Makkah.  The ten thousand is the march of the Prophet & the 10,000 sahabah (companions , disciples) on Makkah.  The fiery Law is IslamShariah.

Take a step closer Redeemed.  Wash, go into your quiet private room and call on God to open your heart to the truth.  And to show it to you as the truth.  And to show you the falsehood.  And harden your heart against it.

My sister of humanity, I am not trying to offend here. Even though I believed in God as a child (Still do), I was lost and in sin wandering. Now, when you were lost, were you on the right path? If we were on the right path, we wouldn't be wandering in need of being put on the right path. It is just me making a logical deduction calling a spade a spade. It is the only possible thing I can infer from that verse. Can you show me differently? Why are you getting offended if I say the truth? IMO, if we are not on the right path, we are on the wrong one, even if we were on a good path wandering, it is an enemy of what is best. Jesus was never found wandering!

Jesus unlike other prophets was different because since he was a child he could do extraordinary things. That still doesn't mean I believe he was God or had God inside Him, just God gave him these powers. And without God Jesus would be wandering like the rest of us. It doesn't make the other prophets any less valuable because they were chosen at different times in their lives. And even when we are on the right path we are prone to trials which can bring us off this path but it doesn't mean we cannot repent. Allah told us that if humans did not sin he would have made another creature like us to sin. It is in our nature to sin, and Allah loves those who ask for forgiveness and do their best not to sin again. When you say things like Muhammad pbuh was on the wrong path it is offensive because nobody can know that only God. Muhammad pbuh believed in Allah before revelations were given to him. Just because he was looking for more doesn't mean he was in sin. We cannot jump to conclusions like that.

And I also wanted to add that while that verse made me feel a connection to Islam, I wouldn't be a Muslim today if I didn't believe in Islam itself. Like all those other things which I learnt after and am still learning today strengthen my faith. I think without accepting the beliefs of Islam and just having a connection to that verse wouldn't have been enough to keep me a Muslim for a long time. But alhamdulilah the verse opened my heart to learning Islam and I saw the logic of everything in the quran as I learnt new things. 

Eisa AS was a prophet from birth.  Others were 'annointed' at various times of their lives.  e.g. Muhammad SAW & Musa AS. I think [at] 40yrs.

What Allah has told mankind:
So she pointed to him. They said, "How can we speak to one who is in the cradle a child?"
[Jesus] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Book and made me a prophet.
And He has made me blessed wherever I am and has enjoined upon me prayer and zakah as long as I remain alive.

And [made me] dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant.

And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive."

That is Jesus, the son of Mary - the word of truth about which they are in dispute. 19:29-34

All the prophets came with the same message.   Those who disbelieved in Nuh AS, those who disbelieved in Musa AS suffered the same fate as those who disbelieved in Eisa AS.  You have nothing that'll stand up in a 'court of law'. 

The Day of Judgement will be a court of law.  Redeemed Allah warns you:

And they say, "None will enter Paradise except one who is a Jew or a Christian." That is [merely] their wishful thinking, Say, "Produce your proof, if you should be truthful." 2:111

All you have is here-say opinions from unknown men* who are relaying hand-me-down* stories from within a sect far away & at odds with the disciples in Syria & Turkey & Greece.

Whereas the Qur'an's revelation was witnessed by Arabia over a period of 23 years and all chapters are signed by Allah that He has transmitted the words.

Redeemed.  What was the charge used in those books to execute Jesus?

Answer:   He was said to have claimed to be the Son of God in the 'trial'.

Q: Why would the Jews execute 'the son of their God?"

Answer:  Because their ain't no such thing.  Allah, ELLOHIM, G-d is ONE GOD ALONE.  The creator.  The supreme being.   This son of God stuff is a Paulinian fantasy.  The NT is full of Paul defending himself before his followers in answers to the attacks of the disciples.  Re-read it Redeemed.  your just reading Paul's spin but every now & then he will refer to those hated ones - the disciples.  Read Paul again & take note.

Redeemed.  Did you ask G-d for guidance as per below?

Redeemed.  No human, even prophets can guide people to Islam.  Men can only give the message.  Then it is between the seeker & Allah.  Only Allah can give permission for one to be muslim.

You asked "is there another explanation for the fiery words??"

And he said, The LORD came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them.  Deuteronomy 33:2

Seir is At-Tur in Qur'an.  Mount Paran is Makkah.  The ten thousand is the march of the Prophet & the 10,000 sahabah (companions , disciples) on Makkah.  The fiery Law is IslamShariah.

Take a step closer Redeemed.  Wash, go into your quiet private room and call on God to open your heart to the truth.  And to show it to you as the truth.  And to show you the falsehood.  And harden your heart against it.

Is that all your eyes saw?

What about the verse?  It fits your vision.

What about praying to G-d to show your clearly the truth as truth & the false as false?  did you do this?

You mean...."No!"  You did not pray to G-d to make clear your fiery vision now that you have seen a bible verse from the book of musa AS that 'fits' your vision.  Correct?

Edited by abu turaub

The Book of Musa? I AM NOT SURE I FOLLOW YOU. What do you mean?

I asked what Makes a Christian convert to Islam, because it seems to me that the Muslim depiction of Allah puts Him so high and aloof or so heavenly minded that I could never be of any earthly good to him or he to me?

Jesus personalizes God in such a way that I can relate to. So I don't know how a Christian could trade that in for the god of Islam unless, the Christian was just nominal and lukewarm as Jesus describes or they were bent on deception for previously dabbling in the arts that God said to keep away from. That could've been the medium or window to which the best of deceivers or as the Bible puts it "the father of lies" could enter with the best of deception.

'The Muslim depiction of Allah puts Him so high'

Oh Allah save us from these people....what wrong do they see in viewing their Creator as a higher Being with a lot of Power....sad sad sad lost people. They are just like the disbelievers talked about in the quran, they tried to make Allah something He was not. They want Allah to be a human so they can understand and relate to Him more. 

They thought there will be no Fitnah (trial or punishment), so they became blind and deaf; after that Allah turned to them (with Forgiveness); yet again many of them became blind and deaf. And Allah is the All-Seer of what they do. (5:75)

• Like 1

Many Christians convert to Islam in my country. I would like to know why. Perhaps a testimony of what help those who were once Christian choose Islam would be helpful in getting me to understand.

I am looking at Christians who convert to Islam and Muslims that convert to Christianity, and I am carefully comparing and contrasting the two. I know why Muslim convert to Christianity, but I don't understand fully why Christians convert.

I have heard some testimonies online, but it would be as personal as hearing it from those on the forum.

Thanks

listen for yourself why

Catholic priest converts to Islam

Christian who converts to Islam has realised that Islam is the real religion of God and jesus christ, so following Islam you are following jesus, abraham, moses, muhammed and all prophets of God.

As a christian you dont need to abandon jesus if you convert, actually you need to accept jesus even more when you come to Islam, if you only say i believe everything about jesus but not only his wirgin birth. that would make you an disbeliever and no longer be a muslim as long as you accept his virgin birth also.

Why christians are attracted to Islam is beacuse their holy book bible support it.

hear self

Musa Cerantonio - How The Bible Led Me To Islam

How the Bible Led Me to Islam: The Story of a Former Christian Youth Minister - Joshua Evans

As someone who worked in the ministry (not Catholic like most examples, but Southern Baptist) before my reversion to Islam...I haven't abandoned anything that Jesus (pbuh) taught or said. He himself never referred to himself as God. He instructed people to pray, prostrating themselves and calling on the one, true God. (Even the NIV admits that, in footnotes.)

I struggled with the trinity concept for some time, with no one able to give any answer other than the Bible says it is so. However, considering that so many Christians also legitimately say that the rules Allah gave that are in the Bible no longer have any meaning, I found it to be disrespectful. I am co-chair of my work's Interfaith Council, we have discussions about religion and beliefs quite often, thankfully we do so respectfully. But it is amazing that many Christians still attack other faiths (even at work) and try to force people to become Christian. Whereas most others tend to prefer giving information and letting people learn for themselves.

Christian pastors where I live get up in arms when people want to even consider comparative religion studies. Why is knowledge so dangerous to their beliefs though? If after getting knowledge, you decide not to change, that's your decision and you have to live with it. But denying to seek knowledge is the sign of stupidity in my opinion.

I posted my reversion story back some time ago. I can dig it out again. And even when I struggle trying to learn and become a better Muslim, I thank Allah everyday for the opportunity to learn and experience trials as they make me a stronger and better person. My family rejects me because I am a traitor, their actual words to me, but I point blank asked God to guide me one day when I was so desperate for truth. And because of that prayer, I came to Islam. That is why I proclaim it the truth for myself, on top of the truths pointed out by the Qur'an and Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh) life.

• Like 1

I struggled with the trinity concept for some time, with no one able to give any answer other than the Bible says it is so.

Would the early Christians also have answered “because it’s in the bible”? I seriously doubt that especially when the bible canon was not even formed until the 4th century. Just because your Church didn’t have the answers, it doesn’t mean the truth cannot be found in Christianity. Perhaps you should have searched for answers from a Christian institution that was there since the beginning hint* hint* :)

Would the early Christians also have answered “because it’s in the bible”? I seriously doubt that especially when the bible canon was not even formed until the 4th century. Just because your Church didn’t have the answers, it doesn’t mean the truth cannot be found in Christianity. Perhaps you should have searched for answers from a Christian institution that was there since the beginning hint* hint* :)

Considering that I asked at seminaries and well-known Bible colleges (Liberty University, Baptist Theological Seminary, Georgetown University's head of Catholic studies, etc.), I think I checked. I also attended a Jesuit university (and if you remember, the Jesuits have always been the educational focus of the Catholic church). So I did ask several ministers, I even went so far to ask a Catholic bishop and got no satisfactory answers. So don't open the door without knowing facts.

Lighten up I was half humorous about this, I even gave you a smiley :)

But seriously, I’m surprised the bishop couldn’t answer your questions. All bishops are required to have a doctorate in theology. Would you mind sharing some of the specific questions he couldn’t answer? Don’t worry I won’t attempt to answer them myself or even try to convince you, I’m just curious about what he couldn’t answer...

Edited by Gods Servant

Here's the one that really stumped them. (And since I initially was going to respond to your initial post in which you were condescending and basically calling me a liar, I will refrain from doing such to you.)

How can there be three elements that exist as one at the same time with God? If God is the creator of all things, if that was the case, why doesn't anything else in nature have the ability to have three elements exist as one? For example, water. Water cannot exist in solid, liquid and gaseous form at the same time, it's impossible. Yet I have seen Christians use water as the basis of their explanation of the trinity. (Even the Catholic bishop did.)

No I was not calling you a liar, you misinterpreted my tone which is easy to do when you cannot see the person you are speaking with.

I’m surprised the bishop could not answer you; that’s an easy one. Thanks for answering my question.

Salam.

Edited by Gods Servant

Of course, the talk about trinity is just one part. Like many, you skipped over the part I said where prayer came into it. I felt guided to Islam, not by a person at all, but by God himself. And THAT is one of the main reasons I am Muslim today.

• Like 1