Islamic Forum
StopS

What Is Islamophobia To You?

I have 3 questions regarding Islamophobia. I know the background, where it was coined and by whom, but I am interested in the effect it has on the usage in everyday life.

I know that Islam is an ideology, worldview and religion. A phobia is a an illness, the unwarranted fear of something. This means that the term Islamophobia in itself is actually a misnomer. But it is used nevertheless, so what does it mean to an individual, to you?

1. What does Islamophobia mean - according to you? How do you understand it? There is no wrong or right here, just an understanding.

2. Does this affect you in daily life?

3. Would you prefer a different definition or a generally accepted one?

Thanks.

PropellerAds

1. It means the brainwashed people, affected by western media that is usually biased against Islam and Muslims. It means that they think that the word Islam equals terrorism, outdated thinking and rituals, oppressing women and all the misconceptions repeated over them 24/7 anywhere they go. This also discourages millions from reading anythign unbiased about Islam, leaving them trapped for good without knowing the truth. I consider those westerners, who manage to escape that fierce brainwashing, as real heroes, winning for their principles and love of justice.

2. Of course it affects every Muslim. Brainwashed nations support their decision makers when for example they decide to wage wars on Muslim countries, in the name of fighting terrorism and all that crap, killing innocent women and children thousands of miles away from home. Brainwashing leads to horrible stuff.

3. I see nothing wrong with the term.

1. It means the brainwashed people, affected by western media that is usually biased against Islam and Muslims. It means that they think that the word Islam equals terrorism, outdated thinking and rituals, oppressing women and all the misconceptions repeated over them 24/7 anywhere they go. This also discourages millions from reading anythign unbiased about Islam, leaving them trapped for good without knowing the truth. I consider those westerners, who manage to escape that fierce brainwashing, as real heroes, winning for their principles and love of justice.

2. Of course it affects every Muslim. Brainwashed nations support their decision makers when for example they decide to wage wars on Muslim countries, in the name of fighting terrorism and all that crap, killing innocent women and children thousands of miles away from home. Brainwashing leads to horrible stuff.

3. I see nothing wrong with the term.

1. Is that because you would like it that way? What is this understanding based on?

Is someone who is not affected by "Western Media" never able to be an Islamophobe?

What is your assertion that "Western Media" "is usually biased against Islam and Muslims" based on? Are you a professional victim or do you simply enjoy the role?

Is your definition of Islamophobia really just reading or watching the news?

If "Islam equals terrorism" it would no longer be a phobia, would it? You seem confused, contradicting yourself within just a few sentences.

Why are these things misconceptions? Because you say so? I think you overestimate the interest in Islam.

Can you provide an example of something "unbiased" regarding Islam?

So anyone who disregards anything negative written about Islam and only listens to positive propaganda is a hero for justice?

All I wanted is what Islamophobia means to you and I get extremely wishywashy whining about the unfair treatment of Islam in the media. Is that really what it means to you?

2. According to Muslim statistics there are something like 600 million illiterate Muslims. If Islamophobia is equal to demonising Islam in the media, these would not be able to read this.So right off the bat, half of the people you claim are affected are excluded. By your own definition.

You are saying that you think the "Western Media" thinks that Islam = terror, superstition, misogynism, etc

You are also saying that "Western" people are unable to think independently and don't perform critical thinking and are thus brainwashed. What about Muslims who don't have contact to those deluded "Westerners"? How are they affected?

If a Muslim majority country occupies another Muslim majority country and the UN along with 50 Muslim majority countries decides that this was illegal and the agressor needs to be removed by force, how do you rationalise this. Again you are somewhat confused with your rationale and completely illogical.

Are you seriously suggesting that you condone the terrorism performed in the name of Islam? Are you seriously suggesting we should just say fine and let terrorists run our lives? If the Nigerian Muslim kills a British man in the UK, 1000s of miles from home, is that ok with you or are you applying double standards where and when it suits you?

3. Well, actually, I asked for a definition, which you have not supplied. All you did is complain.

Sorry, I thought you're asking your questions sincerely looking for answers, collecting different views, like in survays and research papers, etc..

I'm not good at mocking and such, so I leave you in peace.

I agree that sometimes Islam gets bad press. It's also true that sometimes Islam gets more tolerance than it should. For example, I don't think it's fair for Muslims to ask politicians to force everyone to eat Halal. (As is happening in some Western schools.)

A religion is a collection of ideas. I am someone who has studied Islam, and so far I disagree with some Islamic ideas. This doesn't mean I have a "phobia", it means I disagree. That's all.

(BTW, as I have stated before, I disagree with ideas in other religions as well - I'm an equal opportunity disagree-er :)  )

I think that when Muslims use the term "Islamophobia" they are hurting Islam, not helping. I think the word itself is dishonest, so I am instantly suspicious when it is used.

I agree that sometimes Islam gets bad press. It's also true that sometimes Islam gets more tolerance than it should. For example, I don't think it's fair for Muslims to ask politicians to force everyone to eat Halal. (As is happening in some Western schools.)

I am not saying you are wrong but I would like you to show evidence of that. Because I have only ever heard that Muslims want their to be a halal option not for all foods to be halal. If you show otherwise then I will accept. 

I have read that article and also looked around the internet about that specific school too and also read awful comments on those articles (clearly a lot of people do not even know what halal meat is). I found no evidence that what was done was because Muslims demanded it. I haven't seen proof that the 10% of that school went to the headmaster and asked for the introduction of halal meat. Now why did the headmaster choose to introduce halal meat then? It is easy to always blame the Muslims but that school clearly has a communication problem with the parents or the other way around. And one article talked about how there was no space in the kitchen to store non halal meat and halal meat. This seems like a silly explanation. 

Hi ParadiseLost,

I have studied a little bit about Halal meat. From a science perspective it seems like it has origins that are very similar to Kosher meat. (I don't want to get into a religious comparison here!)

From a scientific perspective, it seems that 1400 years ago Halal butchering made a lot of sense. It was probably the best way to minimize the spread of disease. It made sense to promote this technique.

But these days there are far better ways to minimize the spread of disease. I imagine that most of the people on this forum use modern medicine? Do you get vaccines? Remember that human beings didn't know about germs 1400 years ago.

So as a person who believes in the ethical treatment of animals, I find much of how meat animals are treated is unnecessarily cruel. Again, I'm not singling out Halal, but I would say there are many unethical practices and Halal is one of them.

[at]IH

Every time you speak about Islam, I find your info pathetic at least. Where did you come up with all that amount of wrong info? How did you manage to corrupt your brain with all kind of misinformation? You're an expert and hihly educated man. You owe it to yourself to get proper info, and wash out all the nonsense out.

This is off-topic, so I'd only ask you to please read a little about why slaughtering is the most merciful way to kill any living creature, and while at it, read also about why the meat of slaughtered animals and birds are the healthiest for human consumption. Even here, you'll find several topics about it.

Hi dot,

I have read Temple Grandin's work and John Robbins's work. I am no expert, but those two authors and scientists are well regarded and their conclusions are very consistent. Beyond that, I can't defend my statements. But I would say that I have read two books on this subject, so it's not just my ad-hoc opinion.

I have studied a little bit about Halal meat. From a science perspective it seems like it has origins that are very similar to Kosher meat. (I don't want to get into a religious comparison here!)

This is too controversial to be discussed by non-Islamic scholars. Let's get back to what people consider to be Islamophobia, where I still have not received a workable definition.

I just know from a practical point of view that prisons in Berlin are filled mainly by Muslims, which is why all inmates are no longer getting pork. When they complain, they are called Islamophobes. Which is what I don't understand and am trying to get input from Muslims who should know what they consider to be an Islamophobe and why. But it seems this is not that easy.

Islamophobia is most certainly real.   There is no phobia like it.   Islam is rising from it's coma.  And there is unfinished business.  'Jesus' in the bible often referred to it thus.  "Go & tell everyone the good news, The Kingdom of God is coming." 

And the more Islam rises the more the phobia will grow.  And nothing will give relief except submission to Allah.

We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve for what they have associated with Allah of which He had not sent down any authority. And their refuge will be the Fire, and wretched is the residence of the wrongdoers.  3:151

We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve for what they have associated with Allah of which He had not sent down any authority. And their refuge will be the Fire, and wretched is the residence of the wrongdoers.  3:151

Allah Al-Mighty here is talking about the hereafter. Those who die kuffar Allah will punish them in judgement day by striking fear into their hearts, and their refuge from that fear will be hell-fire. Those who die disbelievers, associating anyone with Allah will be punished as described. This does not apply on living disbelievers, because there is always hope that they believe one day. We as Muslims are instructed to only call them to Islam with kindness and wisdom. Other than that, we have no business with them. Your saying "there is unfinished business" suggests that you have different thoughts. If you terrorize/kill a disbeliever, you're doomed. You'll be as if you killed all humanity. If that is what you mean, you'll be considered a terrorist, according to the rules of this forum. Your account will be suspended until you clear this out. Please check your mail.

Islamophobia is most certainly real.   There is no phobia like it.   Islam is rising from it's coma.  And there is unfinished business.  'Jesus' in the bible often referred to it thus.  "Go & tell everyone the good news, The Kingdom of God is coming." 

And the more Islam rises the more the phobia will grow.  And nothing will give relief except submission to Allah.

Thanks for your input.

"Islamophobia is most certainly real."  so what, in your opinion, would be an example of Islamophobia?

"unfinished business" again, I can't envisage what the "business" is, you are referring to. Do you have an explanation or an example?

So are Muslims suffering from this phobia, this unwarranted fear?

Is this "sending down" terror what you call Islamophobia, where Muslims don't need to be in fear and simply submit to their god? That would be an interesting concept indeed.

Yes, I know the sentence, but nobody has cast terror into anything so far. It doesn't say who will do what or when, so I choose to disregard it. And sorry, biology has made my heart pump blood and not "feel" terror. The sentence is also a contradiction in itself as there is no evidence for the existence of a god and so a person who does not have evidence for something is technically and logically unable to "associate" anything with what has not been proven yet. And when I'm dead it's too late.

I have 3 questions regarding Islamophobia. I know the background, where it was coined and by whom, but I am interested in the effect it has on the usage in everyday life.

I know that Islam is an ideology, worldview and religion. A phobia is a an illness, the unwarranted fear of something. This means that the term Islamophobia in itself is actually a misnomer. But it is used nevertheless, so what does it mean to an individual, to you?

1. What does Islamophobia mean - according to you? How do you understand it? There is no wrong or right here, just an understanding.

2. Does this affect you in daily life?

3. Would you prefer a different definition or a generally accepted one?

Thanks.

Good Day Mr StopS we finally meet again!

You have asked a personal question and a personal question you shall receive.

1. It means nothing to me

2. It does not affect me and it never did.

3. Whatever it is called - it remains ignorance and injustice.

I hope that I answered you to your satisfaction. Anything else? 

Good Day Mr StopS we finally meet again!

You have asked a personal question and a personal question you shall receive.

1. It means nothing to me

2. It does not affect me and it never did.

3. Whatever it is called - it remains ignorance and injustice.

I hope that I answered you to your satisfaction. Anything else? 

Thank you. No, that will be all.

I would not define Islamophobia as enmity towards Islam and Muslim, but as a fear.

In Islam, we distinguish between Khoshiya and Khauf:

Khoshiya is fear of something that is known, but Khawf is fear for something that is unknown. 

1. Muslims commit unislamic crimes against humanity. Therefore, the common people among the non-Muslims believe that this is part of their faith. Therefore, they are afraid of something they don't know and something foreign. They have obscure knowledge regarding Islam and see it as a cult just like a sub-culture like Goth, Dark Wave, Satanism and other. 

2. Muslims need to live the Islamic way of life and be a rolemodel for the non-Muslims in order to remove Islamophobia in their hearts. It is human nature to fear that what we don't know about and we only hear and see bad news.

3. Islamophobia is not a personality disorder or a delusion, but a reaction of unaware people towards those overzealous Muslims. 

Enmity towards Islam, I would translate to misislam just as I would translate hatred towards humanity as misanthropy. 

To look at it from a strictly academic perspective, we could say that:

"Islam" is a collection of ideas, and

"phobia" is an irrational fear of something.

So technically, we could define Islamophobia as: "An irrational fear of the collection of ideas known as 'Islam' ".

Now, whenever I see this term used in practice, it's not meant this way. It's usually meant as a short-hand for "bigotry against Muslims". I think it's a bad term that does more harm than good. Of course I know that sometimes there is "bigotry against Muslims". In a similar way, a lot of people don't like Jews, and we have a word for that, "anti-semitism". But anti-semitism refers to the people, not the ideas of Judiasm.

The reason I say that the word does harm, is because of organizations like CAIR in the U.S. If someone in the U.S. burns a Quran, CAIR shouts: "Islamophobia!". But in the U.S., we are free to criticize every religion. If we want to, we can burn Qurans or Bibles or Torahs or the Bhagavad Gita, or whatever. And in the U.S. (and in other places in the West), people DO protest against religion; every religion. Not everybody likes the ideas in the Bible. not everybody likes the ideas in the Quran. Muslims think Christians are going to hell, and Christians think Muslims are going to hell, and some people (like me), think nobody is going to hell.

So when CAIR cries "Islamophobia!" most people just think: "There go those CAIR jerks spouting off again". This doesn't help anyone.