Islamic Forum
Night

Burning Incense As Prayer Ritual? Do You Do It

I see this forum is full of people from around the globe and I am interested in the cultural/religious practices of burning incense.

My family comes from a Christian background and among those who claim to be religious they are divided on the subject.
Some (mainly Sanctified) say it is ok because incense was burned in the Tabernacle.
Others (mainly Baptists, who for some reason discredit anything in the Old Testament) say it is a pagan ritual and is not permissible to burn during prayer or any other time.

As I google the internet about incense and Islam I see people saying that it keeps the jinns away, then some say that jinns eat the smoke, lol.

PropellerAds

As-salamu 'alaikum

Muslims don't burn incense as a prayer ritual. 

Lots of Muslims are very fond of incense, but there is nothing religious about it at all. Lots of cultural wishing to explain an obsession haha

Burning incense is not a ritual in Islam. People in the middle east do it to spread a nice fragrance in the place, be it a house, shop, office or a masjid. But nothing religious-related. Personally I don't like the smell. Flowering Jasmine plants are way better.

I used to do it but not as a prayer, when I was young it was a trendy thing to do, plus for a load of others it concealed the smell of marijuana. Never did drugs, life is good enough without changing my reality.