Islamic Forum
dot

Quran Memorizing Protects From Alzheimer's Disease

Here is a study conducted by The Alzheimer's association:

The Qur'an and memory a (study of the effect of religiosity and memorizing Qur'an as a factor on memory)

Background 

Aim of the study: Find the relationship between religiosity "memorizing Qur'an"and the sharp healthy memory. Hypothesis: Assuming that the Quran is an influential factor on the strength of memory in two ways; religiosity and spirituality, and on the mental stimulation then the memory of those who memorized the Qur'an is stronger than those who didn't and their probability to have memory problems and disorders is less.

Methods 

The study has been applied on 580 people from both genders aged from 20-40, half of them were religious who memorized the Qur'anand the other half weren't. The test used in the study was a designed paper contained a questionnaire and two tests, the questionnaire asked normal questions about factor that may affect on memory. And the two tests were TYM (test your memory) translated into Arabic after taking the permission from the authors in Addenbrooke'sHospital, Cambridge, UK. and the 10 words test designed by Dr. Gary Small from his book (The memory Bible). The grades of the two test were between A-F.

Results 

Using the Qui-Square test to compare between the A result in both groups religious and non-religious all the result were significant and the religious group had more A grades in both tests.

Conclusions 

From the data collected the hypothesis were proved.

http://www.alzheimersanddementia.com/article/S1552-5260(11)01981-9/fulltext

PropellerAds

Top 6 Tips to Strengthen your Memory

The capacity of memory in the brain to store, process and recall information is truly a wondrous blessing of Allah. We use our memory to gain beneficial knowledge; we also use our memory to recall the mistakes we’ve made in the past and learn from them to become better.color_mind.jpg

For instance, remembering how we may have spent time during Ramadan unproductively last year may motivate us to utilize time fruitfully this Ramadan.

Many associate aging with memory loss, but it doesn’t have to be that way as demonstrated by +80 grandparents who complete memorization of The Qur’an! The following are some tips to strengthen your memory:

• Use it or Lose it

Treat you brain as a muscle – if you want to keep it fit and agile, you have to use it. Reading books, memorizing Qur’an, memorizing beneficial knowledge, and prayer are all the best way for Muslims to exercise their mind. The sense of being closer to Allah (The Exalted) will also protect us from depression which has negative effects on the mind. If you like, you could also try other academic exercises or mental challenges for fun.

• Brain Food

A well-balanced diet is beneficial to keep your memory at its best. A recent study conducted in France has found that use of olive oil improves visual memory and verbal fluency. The virtue of the olive is also mentioned in The Qur’an, and Allah (The All-Wise) takes an oath by this special food (95:1). Foods that contain high omega-3 content, such as salmon, are also important for the memory and brain function. Furthermore, your memory needs adequate sugar and vitamins that most of that will naturally be in your diet (if it’s not, try honey, dates, blueberries, and almonds).

• Healthy Body for a Healthy Mind

Physical exercises, especially aerobic ones, are beneficial to keep the mind alert and healthy. If you can’t do aerobic exercises, the good news is that a moderate amount of walking on daily basis can keep the mind healthy too. Indeed, walking for most people is pretty easy to maintain as a regular activity (even taking the stairs instead of the elevator exercises your body).

• Rest

Taking a nap improves memory and mood, promotes physical well-being, and sharpen senses. Napping has many benefits so taking a 15-30 minute before or after Zhuhr should significantly affect your intellectual performance, energy level, and plus – it’s sunnah!

• Get an Adequate Amount of Sleep

Recent German research lab finds that sleep helps memory shaping. Sleep is needed to clear the brain’s short-term memory storage and create space for new information. Sleep and nighttime is yet another mercy and blessing from Allah, The Most Generous:

”It is out of His Mercy that He has put for you night and day, that you may rest therein (i.e. during the night) and that you may seek of His Bounty (i.e. during the day), and in order that you may be grateful.” [28: 73]

• Ask for it

If you want a good memory, ask Al-Mujib (The Answerer of Prayers). Ask Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) for what you need – beneficial knowledge, understanding, good memory.

Our memory is indeed a true blessing of Allah, and we should be grateful for it. To show our appreciation, let us keep it healthy and use it for beneficial purposes that lead us to get closer to Allah, The Most Merciful.

References : 

1. Rauchs, G. et al. 2011. Sleep contributes to the strengthening of some memories over others, depending on hippocampal activity at learning. J. Neuroscience. 31 (7): 2563-2568.

2. “The Memory Cure – How to Protect Your Brain Against Memory Loss & Alzheimer’s Disease” by Majid Fotuhi, M. D., PH. D. McGraw- Hill, 2003.

3. “Keep Your Brain Young” by Guy McKhann, M.D & Marilyn Albert, Ph.D. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2002.

About the author

Rushda Abraham is a French Muslim Woman Magazine journalist.

Click to read more: http://productivemuslim.com/top-6-tips-to-strengthen-your-memory/#ixzz2cY5h3gcd 

Follow us: [at]AbuProductive on Twitter | ProductiveMuslim on Facebook

hi dot,

I read the article you linked to - thanks. Based on the article, I would call this research a *part* of a study, but not an entire study. There is nothing wrong with the part that they reported on, but more variables would have to be studied before any conclusions could be drawn. For example, what if they used Shakespeare or Rumi instead of the Quran, how would those results compare?

Also, it could be that memorization is a good Alzheimer's preventer, but doesn't mean it has the same effect in younger, developing brains. Scientifically, you'd have to do another study.

Again, I'm not knocking memorization as a good brain skill - it is! My bigger point is that it must be properly balanced with the other brain skills children must learn.

hi dot,

I read the article you linked to - thanks. Based on the article, I would call this research a *part* of a study, but not an entire study. There is nothing wrong with the part that they reported on, but more variables would have to be studied before any conclusions could be drawn. For example, what if they used Shakespeare or Rumi instead of the Quran, how would those results compare?

Also, it could be that memorization is a good Alzheimer's preventer, but doesn't mean it has the same effect in younger, developing brains. Scientifically, you'd have to do another study.

Again, I'm not knocking memorization as a good brain skill - it is! My bigger point is that it must be properly balanced with the other brain skills children must learn.

I seem to remember a study showing that The Knowledge also helped against Alzheimers (for those who don't live in the UK the knowledge is the test London cabbies (black cabs not mini cabs) have to do before they get their badge. (They have to memorise every street in London (inside the M25)  and be able to say how to get from one given place to another giving details of all places of interest (museums, government buildings, hospitals stations, major clubs etc.)  on the route. 

But for that test I would want to know what was the precaution against result contamination. How many of the ones who did not memorise the Qur'an given another work of similar length to memorise or were they just left to "Veg out". 

Too many possible variables to come to a valid conclusion. 

One must always be aware that people will see the result they want to see.....as in pictures of Jesus, Buddha, their dead father/mother etc. on a piece of burnt toast.

Its true that cabbies, and anyone who keeps memorizing things, will also be less likely to get Alzheimer's Disease. But there is another factor in play here when it comes to memorizing the Quran. The spiritual factor. When your spirit is high, and your faith is strong, your anti-bodies work better to fight all kind of enemies that try to harm your cells.  While when you're despaired and hopeless, your sickness wins over you easily. This experiment could be true with any belief system, I guess, not just Islam. But it all depends on your heart, if you truly believe in what you follow. Muslims are known for their strong belief, unlike for example Christians, who know between themselves that their books have known contradictions, which make them a bit shakey compared to the strength of the Islamic belief.

But it all depends on your heart, if you truly believe in what you follow. Muslims are known for their strong belief, unlike for example Christians, who know between themselves that their books have known contradictions, which make them a bit shakey compared to the strength of the Islamic belief.

My father is a very strong Christian who has no doubts about his religion, I doubt very much that he is the only Christian in this world who has faith , plus when I was at University I was friends with a chap who had memorised the Qu'ran but was totally non-muslim, (apparently his mother wanted him to memorise the Qu'ran so she could show him off to her friends,"Look how clever my little****** is") how many Muslims are like him muslims in name only? 

Generalisations should always be avoided.

Masha Allah!:D Thank you for sharing this, dot!

Sure because Quran memorizing makes you work on your brain. If you do stuff that requires training your brain i.e. playing cross-words, Sudoku, reading books in new subjects, your brain neuron will expand too.

But in memorizing Quran, besides the Divine reward, this is plus point too