Islamic Forum
dot

Is Wife Beating Allowed In Islam?

Wife beating anytime and for any reason is never allowed in Islam.  There is however a condition in Noble Verse 4:34 where Allah Almighty allows the husband to beat his wife, and that is after he gives her two warnings to stop showing ill-conduct and disloyalty toward him. The prophet taught us that what is meant by beating a wife is no more than using his teeth brush (miswak, a very light plant stem, about 3" tall) softly on the wife's shoulder, not to inflict any pain, but just to show his resentment.

Scholars and commentators have stated that Muhammad directed men not to hit their wives' faces,[33]not to beat their wives in such a way as would leave marks on their body,[33][nb 5] and not to beat their wives as to cause pain (ghayr mubarrih).[20] Scholars too have stipulated against beating or disfigurement, with others such as the Syrian jurist Ibn Abidin prescribing ta'zir punishments against abusive husbands.[34] In several hadidths, the Prophet forbade wife beating.

Narrated Mu'awiyah al-Qushayri: "I went to the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) and asked him: What do you say (command) about our wives? He replied: Give them food what you have for yourself, and clothe them by which you clothe yourself, and do not beat them, and do not revile them. (Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 11, Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Number 2139)"

In another hadidth the Prophet said:

“Approach your tilt when or how you will, give her (your wife) food when you take food, clothe when you clothe yourself, do not revile her face, and do not beat her. (Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 11, Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Number 2138)" [35]

Some jurists argue that even when beating is acceptable under the Qur'an, it is still discountenanced.[nb 6][nb 7][nb 8] Ibn Kathir in concluding his exegesis exhorts men to not beat their wives, quoting a hadith from Muhammad: "Do not hit God's servants" (here referring to women). The narration continues, stating that some while after the edict, "Umar complained to the Messenger of God that many women turned against their husbands. Muhammad gave his permission that the men could hit their wives in cases of rebelliousness. The women then turned to the wives of the Prophet and complained about their husbands. The Prophet said: 'Many women have turned to my family complaining about their husbands. Verily, these men are not among the best of you.

• Like 2

PropellerAds

:sl:

A short but an informative post.

I would be much happier if there were no such references. It is confusing. Even in his final sermon the Prophet reiterates his instructions to sleep separately and then beat (admittedly, only lightly).

Personally, I cannot accept or condone the (even light) beating of women for disobedience (or anything else for that matter). As there are Quran and Hadith references both for and against beating, I do find the issue troubling. Can you shed any further light on this? How do I condemn all violence against women without contradicting (at least in part) the Prophet's instructions?

I would be much happier if there were no such references. It is confusing. Even in his final sermon the Prophet reiterates his instructions to sleep separately and then beat (admittedly, only lightly).

Personally, I cannot accept or condone the (even light) beating of women for disobedience (or anything else for that matter). As there are Quran and Hadith references both for and against beating, I do find the issue troubling. Can you shed any further light on this? How do I condemn all violence against women without contradicting (at least in part) the Prophet's instructions?

I agree. Any condition to beating another person is barbaric. Especially ones wife !

Wife Beating is not allowed in Islam. Islam is only religion which give correct rights to womens whch enhance their character in a society.

:sl:

A short but an informative post.

I think the issue you're having is with how the words are translated to english. Where is the beating that's going on?

If it's not allowed then there shouldn't be any guidance on how best to do it.. With a little twig (tooth brush) or not leave marks. It's not the physical beating even a light beating has the same effect.. ( though less physical damage inflicted) the emotional fallout Is the same. It's disrespectful to women, it's demeaning and it's just a vehicle for men to demonstrate their "superiority" over women.. Whom they often believe to be beneath them.

It's a shame Mohammed did not say to love your wives as yourselves.. But that was said already.. By another.. :)

we certainly do not need to defend the word of God to people who are limited in their understanding. Thanks to  Allah women have their rights in accordance to their nature and men have their rights in accordance to their nature. If muslim countries actually practiced Islam properly we would have a much better society for women. The justice system in Islam is a very balanced one in order for society to work in harmony but unfortunately there are power structures out there trying to limit the use of Islam in public law. The refusal of men within muslim societies to give women their Islamic rights is just as bad as those outside Islam who do not see Islamic rights as just

You miss the point, if it said don't hit your wives at all, it's forbidden, you must love your wives as you love yourselves. Then men would not have the excuse of beating their wives. I wonder how many men go looking for a small twig or whatnot to beat their wives so gently with, or do they in the heat of the moment just fetch her a slap.

Maybe it's a case that it's not possible for people to follow Islam properly, because it's not workable human nature being as it is. Why do you think muslims countries don't practice Islam properly? It has to be said that countries that do say they adhere to Islam, it appears women have a bit of a rubbish time of things. :(

I think you are just ignorant about the workings of Muslim countries. I really  wonder how many you ever travelled to or lived in for a period of time? I think people don't practice Islam properly for the same reasons christians don't practice christianity properly or jews that don't practice judaism properly. You will never have a whole society stand in line perfectly. Some societies are better than others though. Of course there are men who take advantage of the law, but there are people in every society that take advantage of the law. With proper Islamic education men and women would live in harmony together. It is just that your idea of the place of a woman in society is different than ours. But that does not mean I am unhappy or that muslim women are unhappy. 

You know without Islam, there is a problem of domestic abuse. In america most women are murdered/abused by those known close to them. The same for the UK. Your society has not been able to deal with this issue despite being a so called 'modern democracy'. Yet you come here to criticise Islam for the same issue. Your society is so fixated with our religion and picking out one verse. You refuse to see Islam as a whole and the status of a woman. This topic is very deep and can be explained in many ways but there is no point in explaining to those who do not want to learn. They have made their opinion before you speak to them. The information is there if they really want to seek it. 

Islam will never be pressured by the standards of the west. Islam has its own laws and there is nothing to be ashamed of in the word of Allah, our Creator who knows our nature best. 

I think you are just ignorant about the workings of Muslim countries. I really wonder how many you ever travelled to or lived in for a period of time? I think people don't practice Islam properly for the same reasons christians don't practice christianity properly or jews that don't practice judaism properly. You will never have a whole society stand in line perfectly. Some societies are better than others though. Of course there are men who take advantage of the law, but there are people in every society that take advantage of the law. With proper Islamic education men and women would live in harmony together. It is just that your idea of the place of a woman in society is different than ours. But that does not mean I am unhappy or that muslim women are unhappy.

You know without Islam, there is a problem of domestic abuse. In america most women are murdered/abused by those known close to them. The same for the UK. Your society has not been able to deal with this issue despite being a so called 'modern democracy'. Yet you come here to criticise Islam for the same issue. Your society is so fixated with our religion and picking out one verse. You refuse to see Islam as a whole and the status of a woman. This topic is very deep and can be explained in many ways but there is no point in explaining to those who do not want to learn. They have made their opinion before you speak to them. The information is there if they really want to seek it.

Islam will never be pressured by the standards of the west. Islam has its own laws and there is nothing to be ashamed of in the word of Allah, our Creator who knows our nature best.

FYI I have lived some time in an "Islamic" country and I can tell you it was no better than any "western" country. Never said you were unhappy, but I have had occasion to meet many muslim women who were not happy with their lot. So you can't be speaking for everyone now can you?

And stop it with your straw man arguements, what's the status of women in the west and the abuse they suffer got to do with the issue! Get real, some men have always abused thier wives throughout history it has nothing to do with religion and if you honestly think that Islam holds the answer to preventing domestic abuse of this kind you are deluded. Let's face it if Islam held the answer to this age old problem then muslim women would not be hiding their bruises. Along with their non muslim counterparts. you may not hear as much about the battering of muslim wives and those killed by their muslim husbands but that could be because such things are not spoken about quite as openly.

I will agree that God (YHWH) does know best. God knows we are sinners.

Honestly, to say without Islam there is a problem of domestic abuse!!!! Ludicrous.. With or without Islam the situation is the same. Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!

Edited by Tunisia

You cannot debate with people like this, I have no time for childish insults, move on.

Lol. I was not looking to debate you. :) got carried away - maybe pregnancy hormones :) anyway you're offended. Sorry for that. I've already moved.

People like this, pfft.

Edited by Tunisia

FYI I have lived some time in an "Islamic" country and I can tell you it was no better than any "western" country. Never said you were unhappy, but I have had occasion to meet many muslim women who were not happy with their lot. So you can't be speaking for everyone now can you?

And stop it with your straw man arguements, what's the status of women in the west and the abuse they suffer got to do with the issue! Get real, some men have always abused thier wives throughout history it has nothing to do with religion and if you honestly think that Islam holds the answer to preventing domestic abuse of this kind you are deluded. Let's face it if Islam held the answer to this age old problem then muslim women would not be hiding their bruises. Along with their non muslim counterparts. you may not hear as much about the battering of muslim wives and those killed by their muslim husbands but that could be because such things are not spoken about quite as openly.

Honestly, to say without Islam there is a problem of domestic abuse!!!! Ludicrous.. With or without Islam the situation is the same. Wake up and smell the coffee!!!!!

Not only is it not better in "Islamic" countries than the west, it's often times worse. That's because the laws of Islam are usually followed more in the west where add there are dictators following their agenda in the middle east. Not sure what that had to do with Islam though.

Also the are many references in Islam about the prohibition of beating your wife. Our property and role model, peace be upon him, never hit his wife. So again, I'm not exactly sure where you're getting this idea of beating from. I truly belive is partly an issue in translation and maybe partly the fact that you don't care for Islam in the first place. That's fine, but i don't listen to i verse of of the bible and begin extrapolating things from it without further studying it and pulling up other sources and understand the context.

There are multiple verses about the need for a husband top be kind to his wife and treat her justly. God tells us that women was created from a rib, which is the most curved pay off the body and if you try to straighten it it will break; therefore we should be kind to women.

The prophet once heard there was an issue of men being aggressive with their wives so he called for an immediate meeting and angrily told all the men those that are harsh with their wives are not the best of men.

There is A LOT more talking about how we must treat women right. In fact, the quran is the only scripture i know of that has an entire chapter dedicated to the rights of women, and it is one of the longer chapters in the quran.

What i always try to remind my Christian brothers and sisters is that we belive in the same religion and the same god. We belive in the same good that created the same Adam, the same Noah, the same Moses, the same Jesus, and the same prophet mohammed pbuh, which the bible gals about his coming. He created the torah, and the bible, and the Quran. All these differences we have are in interpretation and we should not get angry with each other over them. We are all brothers and sisters in humanity and should not get mad at each other over such differences

• Like 1

Not only is it not better in "Islamic" countries than the west, it's often times worse. That's because the laws of Islam are usually followed more in the west where add there are dictators following their agenda in the middle east. Not sure what that had to do with Islam though.

Quite.

Also the are many references in Islam about the prohibition of beating your wife. Our property and role model, peace be upon him, never hit his wife. So again, I'm not exactly sure where you're getting this idea of beating from. I truly belive is partly an issue in translation and maybe partly the fact that you don't care for Islam in the first place. That's fine, but i don't listen to i verse of of the bible and begin extrapolating things from it without further studying it and pulling up other sources and understand the context.

There are multiple verses about the need for a husband top be kind to his wife and treat her justly. God tells us that women was created from a rib, which is the most curved pay off the body and if you try to straighten it it will break; therefore we should be kind to women.

I expect there are many verses in support of women, that doesn't change the fact there are also many verses that do not show women or the treatment of women in a positive light. I'm just saying it's quite easy to find verses to support physical chastisement of a wife, if the verses weren't there at all certain men couldn't use them to justify their bad behaviour.

The prophet once heard there was an issue of men being aggressive with their wives so he called for an immediate meeting and angrily told all the men those that are harsh with their wives are not the best of men.

There is A LOT more talking about how we must treat women right. In fact, the quran is the only scripture i know of that has an entire chapter dedicated to the rights of women, and it is one of the longer chapters in the Quran

Well, good for him, but did the same prophet tell men if their wives were disobedient they should avoid their bed, I'm guessing that to mean with holding sexual relations, until such time as the said wife mends her ways. If she doesn't it's then ok to scourge or beat her?? Hey, maybe it's something lost in translation. Also, having a entire chapter, even one of the longest, in support of women is pretty meaningless if some men insist on ignoring it and instead look to other verses to support their view.

What i always try to remind my Christian brothers and sisters is that we belive in the same religion and the same god. We belive in the same good that created the same Adam, the same Noah, the same Moses, the same Jesus, and the same prophet mohammed pbuh, which the bible gals about his coming. He created the torah, and the bible, and the Quran. All these differences we have are in interpretation and we should not get angry with each other over them. We are all brothers and sisters in humanity and should not get mad at each other over such differences

Well, we obviously don't believe in the same religion, I do though believe we share the same God, although at times it seems to be that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob of the Bible ~ YHWH ~ is different from Allah in the Quran. But at least I see you believe in the ONE true God and that's good enough for me. God calls as He wills. I'm not angry at anyone. I accept to you your belief to me mine. :) we are all brothers and sisters in humanity, I can say as a Christian I love you as such. :)

I suspect there are many verses in support of women, that doesn't change the fact there are also many verses that do not show women or the treatment of women in a positive light. I'm just saying it's quite easy to find verses to support physical chastisement of a wife, if the verses weren't there at all certain men couldn't use them to justify their bad behaviour.

There are not any versus in the quran that show women in a negative light. Nor do any verses support the physical chastisement of women. You have to take the time to research the verse, when it was the sent, why it was sent down, the context in which it was sent down. Even when a muslim does all this we are still encouraged to understand the point of view froma scholar that has dedicated his life to learning and understanding the religion. I simply disagree with the last sentence, words can always be twisted and misinterpreted especially when taken out of context as you have unintentionally done in this situation.

Well, good for him, but did the same prophet tell men if their wives were disobedient they should avoid their bed, I'm guessing that to mean with holding sexual relations, until such time as the said wife mends her ways. If she doesn't it's then ok to scourge or beat her?? Hey, maybe it's something lost in translation. Also, having a entire chapter, even one of the longest, in support of women is pretty meaningless if some men insist on ignoring it and instead look to other verses to support their view.

It's never okay to beat your wife. If that's your understanding then there is definitely something lost in translation. People can ignore the verses or they can follow the verses, that's their choice. The fact is there are no negative verses about women.

we obviously don't believe in the same religion, I do though believe we share the same God, although at times it seems to be that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob of the Bible ~ YHWH ~ is different from Allah in the Quran. But at least I see you believe in the ONE true God and that's good enough for me. God calls as He wills. I'm not angry at anyone. I accept to you your belief to me mine. :) we are all brothers and sisters in humanity, I can say as a Christian I love you as such. :)

I will always support the view that we believe in the same religion. I feel like you have to believe that if you believe we believe in the same God unless you think the same God sent down multiple religions. Even within Islam and Christianity there are many different sects that are as if they are different religions, but if it is the same God and the same message being sent then the issue is with the understanding of people

No need to bring any religion. Because religion is a big matter. It is normally thinkable as a human being that women and men are partner each other. And also The Qur’an explained:

“Ó mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female,
and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other (not
that you may despise each other). Verily, the most honored of you in the
sight of God is the most righteous of you…” (49:13).

So how is women or wife beating allowed in Islam or any other religion...???

Hello Kesabar

You said you have to research the verse ... the context and to understand the point of view from a scholar.

I am confused as to why Muslims say things like this about the Quran? I thought Muslims believe the Quran to be the clear, literal, absolute, perfect Word of God. If this is so then how can you say context is important and the need for a dedicated scholar.

Edited by Spiritlead

Hello Kesabar

You said you have to research the verse ... the context and to understand the point of view from a scholar.

I am confused as to why Muslims say things like this about the Quran? I thought Muslims believe the Quran to be the clear, literal, absolute, perfect Word of God. If this is so then how can you say context is important and the need for a dedicated scholar.

I'm sorry I don't understand. The Quran is the word of God. If I have not studied the entire word of God. I can not take one verse of the Quran and make judgement without the context of the rest of the Quran, as well as the reasoning behind said verses being sent down.  A scholar has studied this;  therefore,  we humble ourselves and seek the opinion of the scholar.  Make sense? 

I'm sorry I don't understand. The Quran is the word of God. If I have not studied the entire word of God. I can not take one verse of the Quran and make judgement without the context of the rest of the Quran, as well as the reasoning behind said verses being sent down.  A scholar has studied this;  therefore,  we humble ourselves and seek the opinion of the scholar.  Make sense? 

I mean if the Quran is the word of God why is it so complicated to understand?

If it is God speaking to humanity why the need for scholars?

Also if it is God talking directly to the world today why the need to understand context from centuries ago?

Wife Beating is not allowed in Islam. Islam is only religion which give correct rights to womens whch enhance their character in a society.

Hi ManhoorMalik,

I just wanted to say that while I agree that Islam instituted rights for women which were non existent among certain non-Muslim cultures, but to say it's the only religion to me seems a bit far fetched. I am sharing this to show you what exists in other religious frameworks, not to promote another religion.

Hitting one's wife is not permissible under Jewish Law - which happens to predate Islam. To force a woman to endure the agony of a cruel husband who abuses her is unfathomable. The self-same Torah of G-d which forbids the afflicting of others could surely not allow, or tolerate, a situation wherein afflicting of others is permitted to continue through the camouflage of an institutionalized union.

The husband who hits his wife, curses her, ridicules her, insults her, or insults his wife's parents in the presence of his wife, or forbids his wife from visiting her parents or family, or whose general mode of communication with his wife is through temperamental outbursts and disrespectful language, creates a situation which is untenable. The wife cannot be expected to live in such an environment, and she is well within her rights to demand a divorce.

Should a husband counterclaim with the charge that his behavior is instigated by her, the burden of proof is upon him. We assume the correctness of the wife's position unless and until the husband can prove otherwise. A Jewish wife must be treated with respect and not be abused.

The clarification from dot is appreciated though as I had never heard this explanation before!
So basically what I'm saying ManhoorMalik is that I hear you that Islam does not allow wife beating (which deserves a thumbs up), but it is not the first or the only.

Hello Kesabar

You said you have to research the verse ... the context and to understand the point of view from a scholar.

I feel like I've answered this question and I don't fully understand what you are asking. I don't speak the original language of the Quran and since a lot of meaning is lost in translation I don't see anything wrong with seeking assistance

Hai but why in Women's Rights 17 of Bottom 20 Nations Are Majority-Moslem?

Sahih Bukhari 72:715  - A woman came to Muhammad and begged him to stop her husband from beating her. Her skin was bruised so badly that it is described as being "greener" than the green veil she was wearing. Muhammad did not admonish her husband, but instead ordered her to return to him and submit to his sexual desires.

How do you explain this ? Its not just one . I could drop more . Thats the problem you know One hadith talks good and other talks bad . Why such contradiction?

Edited by CaptainHowdy
Had to drop a citation