Islamic Forum
Guan Yu

Sharia Law And Economy

As salamu aleikum

One thing I like much about Islam is that it it the only religion (or at least the only I know of) that actively promotes free market policies in form of low taxes, minimal bureaucracy, lack of state intervention in the market etc.

There is one thing that bothers me - in Islam there are only two taxes - zakat for Muslims and jizya for non-Muslims (other taxes such as PIT, CIT, VAT, inheritance tax, road tax etc.are to be abolished) But these are low and are to be devoted at least partially towards helping the poor. healthcare and education can be privatized completely (that's the goal of all libertarians) but how is an Islamic state going to finance e.g. a standing army? Equipping and training even a single division (10-15k men) costs billions of dollars - and in order to stay modern it must constantly mdoernize itself which costs as well Waqf may solve the issue only partially as it's prone to fluctuations. 

Any ideas?

PropellerAds

Personally I dont know because.. well.. I'm not in a position of leadership but they did it for like.. 1300 years so the answer is there somewhere. 

No one? :ph34r:

That is generally more a question for someone who studies economics at least. Though, a lot can be handled by volunteerism and training. Granted, that was a lot easier back in history than it is today.

I'm going to second Nightingale's post. Think of Spartan society - it didn't "cost" to hold a standing army, serving was part of your responsibility as a citizen.  Think of the armies of the Ottoman Empire, in which parents would give their children to the Muslim empire because they wanted a better life for their children (note, the Muslim world had the better education during this time).  Times have changed in which it costs money to arm the soldiers... so I'm not certain how it should work in this day and age.

As far as I know, yes the main Income to the Islamic state is Zakat then, volunteerlly payments ( for example, Othman (ra) sponsored half of the Tabook Ghazwah at the time of the prophet, pbuh),  while Islam is flexible to achieve peace and protection to the Muslem community, in case ((emergency cases)) of insuffeceint incomes the Muslam Ruler have the right to set a specific tax for specific time for a specific purpose (only after strictly become sure of the best use of the first two sources).

he, the ruler, have to compromise between his responsibility to protect the Muslem community, his right to be obeyed  and not to cause any unjustice action to any Muslem (specially taking his money)

Allah knows better

• Like 1