Islamic Forum
Amna4

First Transgender Muslim (Some Specific Questions)

I posted the link below if you haven't heard of it. Please, an adult discussion. No insults.

1) Where is "she" supposed to sit in the masjid? If she is considered male Islamically, it would be a disturbance for her to be in the women's section - an invasion of privacy in any case. But if she is dressed as a woman, she would disturb the men.

2) if a male prays behind her, would his prayer be invalid?

3) I haven't seen any specific rulings to this, and really want to know if I've missed anything. Any information is welcome.

4) since he became she before converting, how would this work with "al your previous sins are forgiven"?

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/europe/464356-first-muslim-transgender-stirs-debates-.html

Edited by Amna4

PropellerAds

Assalamo alaikum

The scholar in that news article, Dr Wael Shehab, gave a correct verdict, AFAIK.

Its not allowed in Islam to change genders just because we feel like it. There must be a genital problem, for example female organs hiding behind incomplete male organ. Only in such cases the operation is valid in Islam.

Of course that person is forgiven for anything they did before embracing Islam. The best thing to do now is to go back to how that person was. I'm not sure I understand what exactly the surgeons did to the person, but judging from the scholar's comments, it seems that it is reversible.

In my own humble view, I guess its not right for such person to go to any masjid, until the situation is corrected. Forgiving past sins before embracing Islam doesn't imply taking those sins into masjids. (as far as the situation can be reversed).

• Like 1

First off, I am going to say this and I know it isn't standard but it is my gut feeling. I have met other transgender Muslims, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. They aren't evil and they don't do this by choice, I truly do believe that. I also believe that Allah does give us tools to correct issues that are scientifically proven. Allah doesn't make mistakes, yet people are born with numerous defects.

There is a blog written by a woman who lives not far from me which sums up my feelings pretty well. She isn't a scholar, but her husband and herself are both very intelligent and Islamically sound. They also are very good people who give wonderful advice (her husband I believe tends to give sermons at least once a month at area masjids). I don't know all answers. I do know I had issues as well, which I am not willing to go into in public. But we are all created by God.

• Like 2

I agree in the main with what Brother Dot has said. The person who had the operation before becoming muslim would be forgiven for all his sins he did prior to his conversion. However now he is muslim he must conform to the shari'i.

He was created as a man and so should be treated as a man in all respects.

I have met other transgender Muslims, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. They aren't evil and they don't do this by choice, I truly do believe that. I also believe that Allah does give us tools to correct issues that are scientifically proven. Allah doesn't make mistakes, yet people are born with numerous defects.

No one said they're evil.

There are those who have physical issues, and those who have non-physical issues. Islamic scholars acknowledge the first and allows operations to correct the situation. But non-physical issues should be dealt with through therapy and sessions of behavioral correction, without operations to change the gender at all. This non-physical transgender issue is similar to the issue of homosexuality. Both are non-physical, and both have no excuse to behave contrary to how Allah Al-Mighty created us.