Islamic Forum
becr8808

In Need Of Answers

My boyfriend comes from a muslim family (was born into it ) however, he never really practiced it as much as his other family members. Things are getting serious between us and I was introduced to the family. I come from a catholic family. His parents are confident that I will convert and they think it would be a good idea for both him and I to consider practicing. His parents are aware that it would be unfair of him to ask me to convert knowing that their own son isn't devoted as they are. They said it would be a good experience for him and I to learn about Islam together. I'm hoping to get some answers to some questions. Has anyone here converted to Islam from another religion?

Note: his father says if us being together is in Gods plans then we will be together regardless but he says our marriage would be even more blessed if we practice Islam. How so? God blesses all his children regardless.

PropellerAds

Hey! I'm actually a convert to Islam from Carholicism. There is no need for you to convert to Islam to marry him, but you should be married. Muslim men can marry practicing Christian women. I'd advise you to learn about Islam, and maybe you will choose to convert - but you do not need to convert in order for you to get married.

Now that that's out - feel free to ask specific questions here or PM me. Either way works!

• Like 1

Hi, thank you for your response. May I ask what made you convert? How did you begin this process? My boy friends father suggested I go to a local Masjid and ask for information.

My wife & I were married for over a yr. I, Muslim & her, Catholic. Not too long ago, though, she decided to take shahada. Get married, you practice yours and he his and just try to learn about Islam.

• Like 1

Hello I am recently converted as in maybe 2 weeks and I come from a devout Catholic family. When I met my husband he was Muslim and he did have his doubts going back and fourth but is no true to his religion. I first told him I will not enforce my religion on you as long as you do not enforce yours on me. When we got married he had to give me a dowry and out of respect I said I would learn about his religion and keep an open mind about it because I want to know what to do if anything happens then I have the knowledge to do what I have to about his religion. We have been married for over a year and a half. I have learned so much about his religion and it is very much alike in many ways but in the end I prayed on it and the only thing that kept stickin to my mind was to follow my husband and so I told him I would do as he does for a week or so until I was sure and if I felt closer to God then I would convert. I was stuck on not converting all this time but in my heart I know that I was meant to be Muslim everything is telling me this is the way that God wills it. You should read and have your fiance talk to you about it ask him anything and everything let him guide you and then you make your choice on your own. Some of the things that stuck out for me is 1. God says your should not idolize idols and granted that crosses have Jesus(pbuh) it is still an idol. 2. Even the Bible says that another Prophet would come along to speak the words of God and that we should listen and that Prophet was Muhammad(pbuh) I know exactly where your coming from all the way so if you have any question please send me a message I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

• Like 2

Hi, thank you for your response. May I ask what made you convert? How did you begin this process? My boy friends father suggested I go to a local Masjid and ask for information.

In short? I've always had issues with the divinity of Jesus (pbuh) and I also love the structure and logic presented in Islam. I began reading about different religions in 7th grade, and Islam in 12th-freshman in college. I converted when I was barely 20 (I'm only 21 right now). Yes, the masjid is a good place to start. They will probably have some beginner books.

Islamreligion.com is a good site for learning about Islaam.

I also converted from Christian to Islam. Although, I wasn't Catholic like the other two sisters in this discussion. I was raised southern Baptist. But I too struggled with the divinity of Jesus and I prayed on it and became Muslim. One thing that I think really helped me though was the information I got from Muslims while I searched, though they didn't pressure me at all, unlike some other groups I could name.

Information is never a bad thing. Learn all you can. Then ask God to guide you.

• Like 1

Yes! The non-pressuring atmosphere was an excellent draw for me. Those who try to draw others in the fiercest are the ones who are usually more insecure... Meaning no pressure = super secure!

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I have decided and arranged to go to my local Masjid. My intentions are never to offend anyone and I think his family will see that I'm trying to be considerate by the steps that I am taking. To those who converted, how did your families react? I know my family supports me 100% in anything I do so I am not concerned too much with that. I am however, concerned about raising muslim children with catholic maternal grand parents... In other words, I don't want my parents to think they have to treat my kids differently in the sense of what holidays to celebrate with them or what not to feed them. I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I feel like children are children and they shouldn't be forced into a religion.

My family isn't supportive, but still talk to me. I still attend gatherings around holidays, and have even driven my day's aunt to church when everyone else was out of town and unable to get her there. It's up to you how strict you will be on those things. You can always start very lightly and over the course of a few years start dropping other religious traditions while starting new family traditions (think about starting a tradition of going out to coffee with your mom, grandma and aunts during the week between Christmas and New Years. They would see it as a Christmas tradition and you can view it as family bonding!)

• Like 1

I am however, concerned about raising muslim children with catholic maternal grand parents... In other words, I don't want my parents to think they have to treat my kids differently in the sense of what holidays to celebrate with them or what not to feed them. I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I feel like children are children and they shouldn't be forced into a religion.

I asked the same thing before I converted but here is what helped me come to terms and understand it all. You raise your children as ya both see fit. If you choose to raise your children Muslim then that wont change anything with you parents because all there will be is the love for their grand babies and since your parents support your decisions and if you choose Islam then they will respect your ways that you have chosen for your children. They love you and that will never change and at the same time they will not go against your choices for your children because they will know that when you marry and have kids they are your immediate family and your parents come second. You are not forcing your children into Islam you are simply raising your children as you want to but ultimately in the end when they are old enough they will choose what they want to believe on their own. I think that once you read and learn more about Islam all of your answers will be answered. Just give it time and have patience If God wills it, It will be and give you the guidance and strength you need.

My parents told me only you have to answer to God for your choices and if your happy and have faith and that is the way God guides you then you praise him and let him show you the way whichever way that might be. My parents are supportive even though they are devout Catholics my parents understand that this is our family and only God will Judge. Just take it step by step and learn what you can and I tell you it will all come in due time don't fear the unknown just have faith and pray for God to guide you he will never steer you wrong. I will raise my children Muslim and when they are older if they choose to go in another way  will pray for them and love them all the same only they in the end will have to answer to God. Be apart of the community and go to the gatherings and teachings they have dont be afraid to talk to the sisters they will help you alot and are more than welcoming to help you with any questions you have. I pray you find your way and keep faith and I pray that God shows you the path.

• Like 2

I am also a convert from catholicism to Islam. 

My main advise is if you want to learn about Islam firstly make sure you are doing it with the right intentions. Don't learn it for anyone else but do it for yourself because then it will feel more real and your heart will be opened more. Secondly as others have said in Islam a man can marry a Catholic but that doesn't mean its encouraged or easy. It is not forbidden but I would say to think about how difficult it can be to marry someone with different beliefs. A lot of people say these things don't matter and as long as you love each other its ok but really these things do matter especially when children are involved. 

It seems like his family are very supportive and not pushy so that is a good thing. I suggest you get a copy of the quran in english and slowly take your time to read through it. You can use this forum to ask any questions you have. Islam is really beautiful and as long as you don't learn from anti Islamic websites you will have the ability to see this. There are many horrible lies out there on the internet though about Islam so I strongly advise you stick to the right people who have authentic information. Remember even Muslims themselves have practices that are from their culture that are not from Islam so you always have to keep in mind that not all Muslims reflect Islam. May God guide you to the right decisions. 

• Like 2

My boyfriend comes from a muslim family (was born into it ) however, he never really practiced it as much as his other family members. Things are getting serious between us and I was introduced to the family. I come from a catholic family. His parents are confident that I will convert and they think it would be a good idea for both him and I to consider practicing. His parents are aware that it would be unfair of him to ask me to convert knowing that their own son isn't devoted as they are. They said it would be a good experience for him and I to learn about Islam together. I'm hoping to get some answers to some questions. Has anyone here converted to Islam from another religion?

Note: his father says if us being together is in Gods plans then we will be together regardless but he says our marriage would be even more blessed if we practice Islam. How so? God blesses all his children regardless.

Hi, I am a Christian planning to marry my Muslim fiancée next year. I am currently reading the Quran, not especially with the view to convert but rather to understand my fiancée the better. Although he has only recently found his faith in Islam again, you could say although he is Muslim he is a beginner when it comes to his faith. He has come up with some strange comments which he claims are from Islam but I have not had the same impression myself from reading the Quran. So I'm doing a bit of research. But, for sure it is not necessary to convert in order to marry.

We are all blessed by God, because we are all equal in his eyes. Where do you live?