Islamic Forum
fathi

Curious ...looking

as salaam alaiykum,

my wife and I are looking at possible places to move and the idea of Dearborn, MI has come up because of its strong community.  But, we are curious as to the job market and the prospects as it pertains to living arrangements as well (mostly apartments or low budget...at least at first)

PropellerAds

wa alaykum assalam,

I'm not sure on Dearborn itself as I've never been there. Though I have seen how large of a Muslim population they have. Another place to consider, if you want to stay in the Southern area (which you might not) is northern Virginia. From Fredericksburg up to DC, there is a growing Muslim community (and Fredericksburg is not too expensive to live in as far as I recall). Jobs are pretty plentiful in the area from what I know as well.

Just what I know personally. I do know some people from outside Dearborn, but they haven't spoken to me since my reversion. I know that Michigan was very hard hit and still coming back from the recession.

I live about 20 minutes from Dearborn. Mashallah there are many Muslims and many masjid there. I will message you with further comments...

wa alaykum assalam,

I'm not sure on Dearborn itself as I've never been there. Though I have seen how large of a Muslim population they have. Another place to consider, if you want to stay in the Southern area (which you might not) is northern Virginia. From Fredericksburg up to DC, there is a growing Muslim community (and Fredericksburg is not too expensive to live in as far as I recall). Jobs are pretty plentiful in the area from what I know as well.

Just what I know personally. I do know some people from outside Dearborn, but they haven't spoken to me since my reversion. I know that Michigan was very hard hit and still coming back from the recession.

a. I would have no issue staying in the south

b.  I would hardly call any area near D.C. southern, not anymore anyways.  (why the worry for distinction?  Because southern culture taught respect for women, independent business, high values, and morality.  Not to mention valuing privacy, caring for others, etc.  The opposite is a culture that breeds atheism, greed, covetous nature, etc.)