Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ParadiseLost

Virtues Of Reciting Surahs

As salaam alaykum brothers and sisters

I encourage others to get involved in this thread. We don't have many active Muslims on the forum these days and this is a way not only to increase your own knowledge but to share it with others. There are many hadiths about the benefits of reciting surahs in the quran. Use a hadith search engine, read articles about this topic and compile them in an article and share them here. Please use references of hadith books and numbers so others can access them. I will start with all I can find related to Al Fatihah and it would be easier to continue on in numerical order with surah 2, 3 etc. If anyone feels I have missed one please share. 

It is easy to copy and paste from websites but it would be more beneficial to actually try find them yourself first then maybe we will remember them more inshaAllah. The most beneficial search engines I have come across are http://www.searchtruth.com/hadith_books.php and http://sunnah.com/ (this one also has the arabic alongside the english)

1. Al Fatihah. 

We recite al fatiha daily, may Allah open our hearts and know the value of this surah, Ameen.

• Firstly Al Fatihah is an essential component of every Muslims salaah:

Narrated 'Ubada bin As-Samit: Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever does not recite al-fatiha in his prayer, his prayer is invalid." (Sahih Bukhari Book 12 No, 723)

• Al Fatiha is like a conversation between you and Allah 

Abu Huraira reported: The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: If anyone observes prayer in which he does not recite Umm al-Qur'an, It is deficient [he said this three times] and not complete. It was said to Abu Huraira: At times we are behind the Imam. He said: Recite it inwardly, for he had heard the messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) declare that Allah the Exalted had said: I have divided the prayer into two halves between me and my servant, and my servant will receive what he asks. When the servant says: Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the universe, Allah the Most High says: my servant has praised me. And when he (the servant) says: The Most Compassionate, the merciful, Allah the Most High says: my servant haslauded me. And when he (the servant) says: Master of the Day of judg- ment, He remarks: my servant hasglorified me. and sometimes He would say: my servant entrusted (his affairs) to me. And when he (the worshipper) says: Thee do we worship and of Thee do we ask help, He (Allah) says: This is between me andmy servant, and my servant will receive what he asks for. Then, when he (the worshipper) says: Guide us to the straight path, the path of those to whom Thou hast been Gracious not of those who have incurred Thy displeasure, nor of those who have gone astray, He (Allah) says: This is for my servant, and my servant will receive what he asks for. Sufyan said: 'Ala b. 'Abd al-Rahman b. Ya'qub narrated it to me when I went to him and he was confined to his home on account of illness, and I asked him about it.  (Sahih Muslim Book 4, Hadith 775)

• Al fatiha is also a funeral prayer:

Narrated Talha bin 'Abdullah bin 'Auf: I offered the funeral prayer behind Ibn Abbas and he recited al-fatiha and said, "You should know that it (i.e. recitation of al-fatiha) is the tradition of the Prophet Muhammad. (Sahih Bukhari Book 23 No, 419).

• Al fatiha is an important chapter in understanding Islam and has a special place in the quran

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "The Um (substance) of the Quran is the seven oft-repeated verses (al-Mathaini) and is the Great Quran (i.e. Surat-al-fatiha)." (Sahih Bukhari Book 60 No 227)

Narrated Abu Sa'id al-Mu'alla: While I was praying, the Prophet called me but I did not respond to his call. Later I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I was praying." He said, "Didn't Allah say: 'O you who believe! Give your response to Allah (by obeying Him) and to His Apostle when he calls you'?" (8.24) He then said, "Shall I not teach you the most superior Surah in the Qur'an?" He said, '(It is), 'Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds. ' (i.e., Surat al-fatiha) which consists of seven repeatedly recited Verses and the Magnificent Qur'an which was given to me."  (Sahih Bukhari Book 61 No 528)

• Al fatiha can be used as a ruqya (treatment)

Narrated Abu Said al-Khudri: While we were on one of our journeys, we dismounted at a place where a slave girl came and said, "The chief of this tribe has been stung by a scorpion and our men are not present; is there anybody among you who can treat him (by reciting something)?" Then one of our men went along with her though we did not think that he knew any such treatment. But he treated the chief by reciting something, and the sick man recovered whereupon he gave him thirty sheep and gave us milk to drink (as a reward). When he returned, we asked our friend, "Did you know how to treat with the recitation of something?" He said, "No, but I treated him only with the recitation of the Mother of the Book (i.e., al-fatiha)." We said, "Do not say anything (about it) till we reach or ask the Prophet so when we reached Medina, we mentioned that to the Prophet (in order to know whether the sheep which we had taken were lawful to take or not). The Prophet said, "How did he come to know that it (al-fatiha) could be used for treatment? Distribute your reward and assign for me one share thereof as well."  (Sahih Bukhari Book 61, Hadith 529)

• Al Fatiha was a 'light' to the Prophet
It was narrated that Ibn Abbas said:"When Jibril was with the Messenger of Allah, he heard a sound from above like a door opening. Jibril, peace be upon him, looked up toward the sky and said: 'This is a gate in Heaven that has been opened, but it was never opened before." He said: "An Angel came down from it and came to the Prophet and said: 'Receive the glad tidings of two lights that have been given to you and were never given to any prophet before you: The Opening of the Book (Al-Fatihah) and the last verses of Surat Al-Baqarah. You will never recite a single letter of them but you will be granted it.'" (Sahih Sunan an-Nasa'i  Book 11 Hadith 913)

Like I said please share more if I missed out.

• Like 1

PropellerAds

Wa alaykum salaam,

Do you want virtues alone with evidences from the hadith, because i would not mind sharing some relfections from passages of the Quran. if you want to keep it seperate we could start a new thread.

Yes brother of course, I would just like to keep the thread in numerical order though in relation to surahs. Probably before I started al fatiha I should have posted virtues in general about reciting the quran maybe you could do that too if you like. 

it might be difficult keeping it in numerical order, might be better to leave it open to any addition. That way it encourages more to write as it may exclude many who might need to wait before writing.

I will do an the virtues tomorow inshA on reading the Quran.

I suppose so brother. It would be nice though if a person wants to share something about a particular surah that they could search for all things related to that surah, just to make it easier for anyone looking back on this thread in the future. 

Imagine you had an exam coming up, it’s a big exam that will decide your future. You know you cannot retake the exam and this test it’s not  easy. What you do have however is the guide to not only the questions in your test but also the answers. What would say about a person who ignores this exam guide/answer book during the exam itself? Such a person without a doubt is ignorant and is making a costly mistake.

The likeness of this exam/test is our life, one chance as the saying goes YOLO (you only live once), and the Qur’an is our guide/answer book. Allah azawajal says in surah Baqarah as we all know :

ذَلِكَ الْكِتَابُ
لاَ رَيْبَ فِيهِ هُدًى لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ

“Therein this book (Quran) there is no doubt, guidance for those who have taqwa”

In another place in the Quran Allah Azawajal states (surah nahl verse 89)

وَنَزَّلْنَا
عَلَيْكَ الْكِتَـبَ تِبْيَانًا لِّكُلِّ شَىْءٍ وَهُدًى وَرَحْمَةً وَبُشْرَى
لِلْمُسْلِمِينَ

“And we have revealed this book onto you as an explanation of everything, a guidance, a mercy and good news for the muslims”

The reality however is that many of us neglect the Quran, it stays on a high shelf untouched collecting dust. The Quran needs to be the light of our heart directing how we go about living in this world, it is a light which cannot be extinguished when hardship or difficulties face us nor is it corrupted when wealth and success lands upon us. These are the words of Allah the most high, glory be to he above all that which they associate with him. However these words cannot resonate in our hearts if we continue to ignore the Quran.

The first instruction given to the prophet (saws) was ‘Read!’ and this is the same instruction that is given to us. In reality there is no excuse for us, not a

single day should go by where the Quran is neglected by us. Set aside some time, even if at the start it is very little for something is better than nothing.

"Will not any of you go to the masjid and learn or read two verses from the Book of Allah `azza wa jall? (For) that is better for him than two she -camels, and three (verses) are better for him than three (she-camels), and four (verses) are better for him than four (she-camels). And the number (of verses read in total) are better than the same number of camels [Muslim] [Muslim]

After then keeping the Quran moist on our tongue we must then remember to act upon that what we read, what good is a guide if it is read and not followed? As the famous quote by Fudayl Ibn ‘Iyad

“The Quran was reaveled to be acted upon, but the people have treated the recitation as the only action”

May Allah swt make the Quran beloved to us and may we be amongst those who it intercedes for on the Day of Judgment. Ameen

• Like 1

Al Baqarah

Abu Umama said he heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) say: Recite the Qur'an, for on the Day of Resurrection it will come as an intercessor for those who recite It. Recite the two bright ones, al-baqara and Surah al 'Imran, for on the Day of Resurrection they will come as two clouds or two shades, or two flocks of birds in ranks, pleading for those who recite them. Recite Surah al-baqara, for to take recourse to it is a blessing and to give it up is a cause of grief, and the magicians cannot confront it. (Mu'awiya said: It has been conveyed to me that here Batala means magicians.)  (Muslim Book 4, Hadith 1757)

Ibn 'Abbas reported that while Gabriel was sitting with the Apostle (may peace be upon him) he heard a creaking sound above him. He lifted his head and said: This As a gate opened in heaven today which had never been opened before. Then when an angel descended through it, he said: This is an angel who came down to the earth who had-never come down before. He greeted and said: Rejoice in two lights given to you which have not been given to any prophet before you: Falihat al-Kitab and the concluding verses of Suarah al-baqara. You will never recite a letter from them for which you will not be given (a reward).  (Muslim Book 4, Hadith 1760)

Narrated Abu Hurairah: that the Messenger of Allah said: "Do not turn your houses into graves. Indeed Ash-Shaitan does not enter the house in which Surat Al-Baqarah is recited." Sahih at tirmidhi Book 42 2877

The significance of ayat al kursi a verse in surah al baqara:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud: "Allah has not created in the heavens nor in the earth what is more magnificent than Ayat Al-Kursi." Sufyan said: "Because Ayat Al-Kursi is the Speech of Allah, and Allah's Speech is greater than Allah's creation of the heavens and the earth." Sahih, At Tirmidhi, Book 42, Hadith 2884

Narrated Muhammad bin Sirin: Abu Huraira said, "Allah's Messenger put me in charge of the Zakat of Ramadan (i.e. Zakat-ul-Fitr). Someone came to me and started scooping some of the foodstuff of (Zakat) with both hands. I caught him and told him that I would take him to Allah's Messenger ." Then Abu Huraira told the whole narration and added "He (i.e. the thief) said, 'Whenever you go to your bed, recite the Verse of "Al-Kursi" (2.255) for then a guardian from Allah will be guarding you, and Satan will not approach you till dawn.' " On that the Prophet said, "He told you the truth, though he is a liar, and he (the thief) himself was the Satan." (Bukhari Book 54 No 495)

3, Ali Imran

Asma daughter of Yazid reported the Prophet as saying: "Allah's Greatest Names is in these two verses: "And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God), none has the right to be worshipped but He, the Ever-Merciful, the Mercy-Giving' and the beginning of Surah Al 'Imran, "A.L.M Allah, there is no deity but He, the Living, the Eternal." (Hasan, Sunan Abu Dawud Book 8 Hadith 1491).

Narrated Ibn `Abbas:Once I passed the night in the house of Maimuna (his aunt). I slept across the bed while Allah's Apostle and his wife slept length-wise. The Prophet slept till midnight or nearly so and woke up rubbing his face and recited ten verses from Surat "Al-`Imran." Allah's Messenger went towards a leather skin and performed ablution in the most perfect way and then stood for the prayer. I did the same and stood beside him. The Prophet put his right hand on my head, twisted my ear and then prayed two rak`at five times and then ended his prayer with witr. He laid down till the Mu'adh-dhin came then he stood up and offered two rak`at (Sunna of Fajr prayer) and then went out and offered the Fajr prayer. (Sahih al Bukhari Book 16 Hadith 106).

Another Virtue of Al-Fatiha

Imam Ahmad recorded that Ibn Jabir said, "I went to the Messenger of
Allah after he had poured water (for purification) and said, `Peace be
unto you, O Messenger of Allah!' He did not answer me. So I said again,
`Peace be unto you, O Messenger of Allah!' Again, he did not answer me,
so I said again, `Peace be unto you, O Messenger of Allah!' Still he did
not answer me. The Messenger of Allah went while I was following him,
until he arrived at his residence. I went to the Masjid and sat there
sad and depressed. The Messenger of Allah came out after he performed
his purification and said, (Peace and Allah's mercy be unto you, peace
and Allah's mercy be unto you, peace and Allah's mercy be unto you.) He
then said, (O `Abdullah bin Jabir! Should I inform you of the best Surah
in the Qur'an) I said, `Yes, O Messenger of Allah!' He said, (Read,
`All praise be to Allah, the Lord of the existence,' until you finish
it.)'' This Hadith has a good chain of narrators.

Another Virtue of Al-Fatiha

Muslim recorded in his Sahih, and An-Nasa'i in his Sunan that Ibn `Abbas
said, "While Jibril (Gabriel) was with the Messenger of Allah , he
heard a noise from above. Jibril lifted his sight to the sky and said,
`This is a door in heaven being open, and it has never been opened
before now.' An angel descended from that door and came to the Prophet
and said, `Receive the glad tidings of two lights that you have been
given, which no other Prophet before you was given: the Opening of the
Book and the last (three) Ayat of Surat Al-Baqarah. You will not read a
letter of them, but will gain its benefit.''' This is the wording
collected by An-Nasa'i (Al-Kubra 5:12) and Muslim recorded similar
wording (1:554).