Islamic Forum
fathi

Salah With Hurt Arm

As salaam alaiykum, I hurt my left bicep helping my mother-in-law move some stuff. It hurts to move outside of a 90 degree angle. I took a pain med to help (lortab 10). Is it possible & or permissible to make salah under these conditions?

PropellerAds

Wa 'alaikumu as-salam

Salah is a must. You can pray sitting or lying down. You can do Tayammum if doing Wudu is uncomfortable. 

Wa 'alaikumu as-salam

Salah is a must. You can pray sitting or lying down. You can do Tayammum if doing Wudu is uncomfortable. 

Shukra brother, you are always so helpful. May Allah (swt) bless you in this life & the next. I did already make it though as I got ahold of the local imam

I know brothers who prayed with only one arm. This should not be a reason not to pray. It is possible to just use your healthy arm. If you are able to do wudhu, you should to wudhu.

Are you able to wash your face and your arms?

I think it is possible to use just one arm.

You don't need the left arm to do wudhu or to perform the salah.

The only problem could be the first takbir where you have to raise your hands. Just raise your left arm as much as it is possible.

I had a dislocated shoulder and was not able to move my arm beyond 90 degrees. I was able to perform wudhu with the right hand and perform prostration with the right hand only. Just put the left hand on the floor without really pressing in order to have the hand completely on the ground.

During the initial takbir, I raised my right hand normally, but the left arm I raised as much as possible.

If you have both arms injured then I would recommend you to use a chair.

You still have to pray and perform wudhu, because water is available and you can use your right hand to pour water on you left arm. You can pour water in a jar and then pour in on your arm.

Even if you need to do Tayammum, you still need to do it with the hands and you still have to wipe your face. The movement is the same.

If you take a shower with the intention of wudhu or ghusl, it would count as long all the required parts are washed or wiped. 

I have seen brothers praying with one leg, one arm, and even without arms at all. You just need to do as much as you can. You are not forced to so something beyond your ability.

Salah is compulsory in every condition except in mental insanity and unconsciousness it is excused, otherwise it cannot be exempted. In order to perform it Allah (SWT) has provided relaxation in terms of doing Tayamum.