• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NextElement

NextElement

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

I'm seeing a lot of posts on here as a look through of people (mainly Americans) who recently said the Shahada and are having a hard time living life as good Muslims because they are scared of what their parents would think. I'm the same way, all of my family is borderline hateful to Muslims because of the intense anti-Islam propaganda that was spread after 9/11.

So if one said the Shahada and truly believed it, but was too scared of his/her family to actively live a perfect Muslim lifestyle, is that a sin? Is it a sin to be a Muslim without telling others for fear of persecution or exclusion?

#2 dot

dot
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

No, of course its not a sin. Faith is something between you and your Creator.

You can choose when to tell your parents. Many of the first Muslims had to hide their conversion to Islam, in fear of torture by their masters. You can do your prayers in secrecy, in the privacy of your room. You can find an excuse for not eating pork, for example for health reasons.

But do plan to tell them at some point, when you feel the time is right.

#3 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Don't worry becoming a Muslim is a big step and not everyone is ready to tell people this especially when one's family doesn't view Muslims in a good way. Another reason you may keep you reversion to yourself at first is that you are still learning and may not be ready to face the questions some people will ask you about islam. Also some reverts realise that by telling their parents later can be a good thing because if you change for the better and your parents recognise these changes then they may realise later that islam was actually a good thing for you to choose. 

Definitely as a revert myself I realise the fear you may have especially with a lot of misconceptions of islam among non muslims. The best thing to do is to try early on to get involved with an islamic community and make friends among muslims so they can give you support because reverts can have a feeling of loneliness in the beginning especially when they cannot talk about such things with their family and friends.

#4 NextElement

NextElement

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

I'm seriously considering saying the Shahada. However, I wanted your guys' opinion on some things:

I don't know much about intricacies of the religion. I know the basics, but I couldn't answer advanced questions about it. Should I wait to say the Shahada until I know more to defend Islam?

I live in America with very devout Christian parents in a rural area. I will most likely not be able to eat only halal meals, and I will probably be forced to keep going to Christian church on Sundays. Is this problematic? Should I wait until I'm at college where I have much more freedom to say it?

#5 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

I'm seriously considering saying the Shahada. However, I wanted your guys' opinion on some things:

I don't know much about intricacies of the religion. I know the basics, but I couldn't answer advanced questions about it. Should I wait to say the Shahada until I know more to defend Islam?

I live in America with very devout Christian parents in a rural area. I will most likely not be able to eat only halal meals, and I will probably be forced to keep going to Christian church on Sundays. Is this problematic? Should I wait until I'm at college where I have much more freedom to say it?

No, brother...what if you have no time to do so, Allah forbids...

you can keep every part in your plan the same but not the shahadah, do it just right now...

Just right know go have shower (in secret) and get to your room (in secret), make the shahadah and make the only one god your witness

" I testify (beer witness) that their is no god but Allah, and I testify (beer witness) that Muhammad is his servant and messenger"

in Arabic " ash-hadu an la ilaha ela Allah, wa ash-hadu anna Muhammad rasoul Allah"

ask him (SW) the help for the next steps, every other things can come later on

Some scholars' opinion "you can eat that meet but say "Besm Allah Arrahman Arrahim" (in secret) before eating it as an intention that it was killed (slaughtered) on the name of Allah. you should do your best to abstain from pork and win.

then, if possible, try to find the nearest Muslem Masjid/ community away from your parents way, to make shahadah at their witness, and keep in touch with them (in secret)

then, you can begin to know about your obligations and rights in Islam and how to defend it...

May Allah completes his favors on you and make every thing easy for you,,,,,amen

#6 NextElement

NextElement

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Is there a rule of needing two witnesses for the Shahadah? Do they have to be Muslim or can they be anyone?

#7 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

You don't need witnesses.

#8 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

If you believe in the main concept of Islam i.e. that there is only one God and that Muhammad was a messenger of God then you should say shahadah. I have been a Muslim for nearly 4 years now and I am still learning new things. Even people who live in Muslim countries and are much older will tell you that they still learn new things about islam. Just as long as you are willing to learn is the main thing. A lot of Christians also don't know everything about their religion but that doesn't stop them from calling themselves christians. Its the same with Muslims, just because you say you are a Muslim doesn't mean you will be able to answer every single question. I wrote the following post a while ago about this issue of learning things especially in relation to reverts so I think it would be useful for you: http://www.gawaher.c...rowth-of-faith/

I understand that it would be difficult for you to perhaps get halal meat but as regards to eating pork and drinking alcohol these should be easy to abstain from. You can put your change in choice down to some articles you read about the health effects. Giving up pork was one of the first things I did when I became a Muslim and I used to eat it up to 4 times a week! It really isn't difficult and I just tell people around me that it is not healthy which is actually true! So you aren't lying. I know that we probably come from a similar culture where people who don't drink alcohol occasionally are viewed as strange but I have met non Muslims who don't drink alcohol either. 

I don't know what advise I would give about going to church. My parents don't go to church so I didn't face this dilemma. You may just have to explain to your parents that you are old enough to make your own decisions about going to church. But if you are forced then sitting in a church doesn't mean you believe what they are saying. Allah will no what sort of situation you are in and know what is in your heart. But do try find a suitable way out of it. Perhaps you can say you have some school work, a project, a meeting etc. 

Of course these are big steps in changing lifestyle but really if you do choose to make those changes you will look back in a while and realise it wasn't as bad as you thought. 

#9 dot

dot

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

As the other good member have advised, I also think that you should not delay your shahada any longer, if you are now convinced. You have the rest of your life then to learn more about Islam and to adjust to its teachings, at your convenience.

Here is some useful video tutorials. You'll find how to say the shahada in one of them:

Quick How-to Guide For New Muslims

#10 NextElement

NextElement

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

Avoiding eating pork today, and for the first time in my life I prayed to God and called him Allah! I can feel myself growing in spirit, but I am still asking every second for guidance on this!

Pray for me.

#11 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

Well done, it is a big step and I pray it goes well for you. I am sure that myself and other members will do our best to support you with any questions and worries you may have. 

#12 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

Avoiding eating pork today, and for the first time in my life I prayed to God and called him Allah! I can feel myself growing in spirit, but I am still asking every second for guidance on this!

Pray for me.

Assalmo Alykom wa rahmat Allah, brother, we will pray for you, ISA

mashaa Allah, brother, it seems we have a great great kick-boxer brother here :)

may Allah complete his favors upon you and provide you with the real peace and contentment

#13 anisafatima

anisafatima

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

Salam if we study the starting history of Islam then we may come to know that many Muslim used hide their conversion to Islam as people of Quraish were very fierce on Holy Prophet (PBUH) for practicing Islam, as he (PBUH) remained safe due to high status among Quraish but they used to torture lower order Islam followers. For that reason, they used to hide their faith in their heart for the sake of their lives. The biggest example is that Hadrat Sammia (RA) who was the first Martyr of Islam due to the tyranny of Quraish.