Islamic Forum
fathi

Miracles By Muslims

As salaam alaiykum wa rahmatullah

as some of you might know my wife recently reverted to Islam not a few months ago.  She brought up a very interesting question.  In Christianity there are accounts of miracles performed by varying individuals.  Miracles are attributed even to Mother Teresa.  So, she was curious are there accounts of miracles performed by various muslims?

PropellerAds

:wa:

Not that I know of.

The miracle of Islam is the holy Quran itself.

In all previous religions, the miracles where witnessed only by those who were living at the time.

But since Islam was Allah's last message to mankind, therefore it would have to be a continuous miracle, a living miracle that everyone can see with their own eyes, then, now  and in the future, a miracle that stands throughout time til the end of time.

The holy Quran was the last message, and the last miracle.

No more messages or miracles after Islam.

But people do like miracles, regardless of their faith system, and they always tend to believe anything thrown at them from time to time. But its all the product of imaginative minds.

Wa 'alaikumu as-salamu wa rahmatu Allahi wa baratuh

Yes, there are accounts of miracles attributed to Muslims

Salam MashAllah and good wishes for sister who accepted Islam. The point here is to clarify how do you define a miracle and what thing do you consider a miracle. A miracle is an unusual divine sort of thing that could be produced at any moment. True miracles are only owned by Holy Prophets is blessing of Almighty Allah (SWT) over them.

Salam MashAllah and good wishes for sister who accepted Islam. The point here is to clarify how do you define a miracle and what thing do you consider a miracle. A miracle is an unusual divine sort of thing that could be produced at any moment. True miracles are only owned by Holy Prophets is blessing of Almighty Allah (SWT) over them.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/reported_miracle_could_make_mother_teresa_a_saint/

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/miracle-could-lead-to-john-paul-iis-canonization

Full Definition of MIRACLE
:  an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs
:  an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment
Christian Science :  a divinely natural phenomenon experienced humanly as the fulfillment of spiritual law

Wa 'alaikumu as-salamu wa rahmatu Allahi wa baratuh

Yes, there are accounts of miracles attributed to Muslims

Can you please provide a website link showing these miracles?

If you think even one of those things you listed were a divine miracle then my understanding is you have exited Islam.  Allah does NOT send down such things to those who are under His wrath.

If you think even one of those things you listed were a divine miracle then my understanding is you have exited Islam.  Allah does NOT send down such things to those who are under His wrath.

Did I say that? No.  But by definition it is that and if you aren't answering the question then please don't talk because frankly your statement makes me wish there was some way to just block any possible way of viewing you at all.  I have had many issues with fellow Muslims and things they say but I have never DARED to say that someone was not Muslim, ever.  I fear Allah (swt) enough not to place myself in a position of judgment deciding who is and is not Muslim.  To me it comes to close to shirk for comfort.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/reported_miracle_could_make_mother_teresa_a_saint/

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/miracle-could-lead-to-john-paul-iis-canonization
  Full Definition of MIRACLE

:  an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs

:  an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment

Christian Science :  a divinely natural phenomenon experienced humanly as the fulfillment of spiritual law

http://www./ct/2012/september/a-new-age-of-miracles.html

http://www./cathen/10338a.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle#Christianity

Hi Abdullhfath,

To my knowledge the only miracles I’ve heard of attributed to Islam is things like a tree bowing down in a posture of worship and a baby with Quranic verses embedded in their skin. I’ve never heard of a Muslim performing a miracle (by the power of God of course) to heal the blind, cancerous, cripple etc.

This is why I asked Younes for a website which unfortunately he has not yet replied...

To my knowledge the only miracles I’ve heard of attributed to Islam is things like a tree bowing down in a posture of worship and a baby with Quranic verses embedded in their skin.

Those are not miracles. People just tend to turn coincidences into miracles. It runs in human nature, regardless of their religion. But no miracles involved.

I’ve never heard of a Muslim performing a miracle (by the power of God of course) to heal the blind, cancerous, cripple etc.

Allah Al-Mighty gave those powers to prophet Eisa/Jesus/Messiah the son of Mary only. No other human could do such miracles.

Miracles attributed to messengers were each a challenge for the people at the time of revelation. For example, at the time of prophet Mousa magic and witchcraft was what attracts people the most, so his miracles were to beat them all in their game.

At the time of prophet Muhammad, poetry was the main attraction, so the Quran was revealed to him, to beat all the poets. God always sends what convinces the people of the divinity of His message. And since there is no more messages to be sent, there is no more miracles to be expected any more.

you have exited Islam.

That is a haram, offending and harsh accusation brother. Never accuse any Muslim like that.

You now need to repeat the shahada, to re-confirm your faith.

This is why I asked Younes for a website which unfortunately he has not yet replied...

From page 186 on, there is something about miracles:

http://ia600409.us.archive.org/10/items/SalafStoriesEbookFree-August3rd2012nowInPdfKindleAndEpub/salaf-stories_3-8-2012-update.pdf

Some of 'Umar ibn al-Khattab's, may Allah be pleased with him, miraces: http://sunnah.org/history/Sahaba/Sayyidina_Umar2.htm

This is by no means an exhaustive list. More often the miracles attributed to a person are in their biographies, like in the case of 'Umar. 

The above miracles are historic miracles. I have heard of contemporary miracles but I honestly don't keep track of them. I don't even keep track of the miracles attributed to the people of the past. 

From page 186 on, there is something about miracles: http://ia600409.us.archive.org/10/items/SalafStoriesEbookFree-August3rd2012nowInPdfKindleAndEpub/salaf-stories_3-8-2012-update.pdf Some of 'Umar ibn al-Khattab's, may Allah be pleased with him, miraces: http://sunnah.org/history/Sahaba/Sayyidina_Umar2.htm This is by no means an exhaustive list. More often the miracles attributed to a person are in their biographies, like in the case of 'Umar.  The above miracles are historic miracles. I have heard of contemporary miracles but I honestly don't keep track of them. I don't even keep track of the miracles attributed to the people of the past. 

Thanks for that Younes, it was an interesting read. Are there any recent miracles for modern science to verify?

Thanks for that Younes, it was an interesting read. Are there any recent miracles for modern science to verify?

I have heard/read of recent miracles but, like I said, I don't keep a mental track of them. I don't know if they can be verified. What I can tell though is that Muslims don't have institution like Catholics for beatification and canonization. 

Miracles are only for prophets. A truthful Muslim may receive Karaama which are similar to Miracles, but on a personal level. It is usually not public. They are mostly glad tidings. Deja vu and true dreams are blessings that are somehow supernatural, but miracles such as healing the sick and other don't exists. 

Those cases that you see on television are fake and if it is supernatural then it is most likely black magic. 

• Like 1

I know we have had issues in the past brother but I am particularly interested in your response.  This is closer to what I am looking forward.  I think you are understanding what I am referring to when I talk about this.  Indeed I am talking about healing the sick or this kind of thing.  Because there are accounts of people like Mother Theresa healing people I wondering what the Islamic view is on this and if there is something like this in Islam. 

Assalamu Alaykum

If Mother Teresa was able to heal a sick person through her blessed hands, it should be called a blessing. She did not go on TV and did all these things, but she was away from the public and was able to treat sick people. I think it is possible that Allah put blessings on the hands of a person. Maybe, Allah answered her calls and prayers. It is not impossible for Allah to answer the calls of a disbeliever. We are not even sure if she really died a disbeliever. 

It is possible to heal the sick by performing Ruqya. I don't know how to perform it, but this exist. 

walaiykum salaam

see in the west we call it a miracle as per the definition of miracle by the dictionary.  I didn't realize there was an issue of semantics involved in the discussion.

I don't follow dictionaries, but the definitions of Sharee'ah through Qur'an, Sunnah, and other sources of Sharee'ah. Many things are miraculous for us, because we underestimate the abilities of Allah. If you want we could make a difference between Signs of Allah and miracles such as karama. The miracles that only prophets receive are called murjizah and are signs of Allah in order to prove us that the prophet is really sent by Allah. This is part of wahy (revelation). I will try to find information about the different types of miracles and supernatural events. 

Let me first give you examples of murjizah and karama.

I hope you are familiar with the story of Moses alayhissalam: 

1. The staff of Moses turned into a snake. Moses hit the Red Sea with the stick and it parted. These are public miracles and signs that go along with the revelations that Moses received. 

2. The mother of Moses, who is called Johebed in the Bible, received from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala the inspiration that she should place Moses into a basket and throw the basket with baby Moses in the Nile River. This inspiration is called karama. They are supernatural signs or events given to someone who is not a prophet. However, only the mother of Moses knew about it. This miracle was concealed and not public. 

3. Maybe, you remember the story when Ibraheem was cast into a raging fire at the order of Nimrod. The Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala ordered the fire to be cool for Ibraheem. This is a miracle that only Prophets get, because it is public. Everyone present saw this miracle.

4. As you know that Ibraheem was married to a righteous woman named Hajar who bore Ibraheem's first son Ishma'eel. You remember that Hajar did the Sa'y by climbing the mountains seven times. After the seventh lap, a miracle happened in front of her, which is actually a miracle for Ishma'eel. Water gushed in the middle of the desert. This is a miracle, but a karama for Hajar, because it is not public and Hajar could not see the angel digging this spring. For her it was just water coming out of the ground which could happen naturally. However, it happened because the Angel Jibreel dug it. If she saw the angel digging up the spring, it would be a miracle like a prophet would receive. Hajar was worried that the water might drain away again, which is another evidence that is was a karama, not a murjizah. She intervened while the water was gushing forth. She said "Zam Zam" while digging. 

5. 'Eesa bin Maryam is know for healing terminally ill people and revive the dead, just with his hands and his du'aa. It was public and those who saw it, did not have the choice but to believe. 

6. Maryam on the other hand received karama when Zakariyah saw her eating summer fruits although it was still winter. Allah blessed her with special food.

Murjizah are obvious signs, but Karama sometimes appear as a chain of coincidental phenomenons.

Murjizah are miracles that are not just supernatural, but also superrational.

We know that fire burns, but in the case of Ibraheem it was like an Air Conditioning.

It is superrational, NOT irrational, that fire is cool.

Karamah are miracles that are somewhat supernatural, but only the person realizes that this is supernatural. The event is natural such as water gushing forth and having special food raining from the sky in the desert. It is not superrational someone become healthy after long time of sickness. 

I would not call supernatural events "supernatural", they appear supernatural, because an invisible force is causing these events. We don't see the invisible, but we see only that what is visible. If we were able to see angels and jinn every day, we would not view miracles as supernatural events. We would consider angels and jinn part of nature.

Okay then what of the individuals that heal people in public or another instance is the now well-known story of the Hindu god statue that drank milk?

Either it is just a show or black magic using jinn. They are not miracles, but illusions. We know that the dajjal is able to perform miracles which he will use to deceive the people.

Interesting....  appreciate all the feed back, even the semantics as this helps me understand some of the foreign Muslims when talking of such things.  In the U.S. when we use the term miracle (especially those not raised Muslim) it simply refers to an event that is not explainable by modern day science.