Islamic Forum
fathi

Hadeeth

as salaam alaiykum,

I do not mean to sound ignorant but this hadith says this and that says that. Are we not to avoid the things which will separate us as an Ummah? I love the hadiths.  But, I take them in context with the words of the Qur'an first and foremost.

Personally I feel that the source of problems is not the hadith itself but rather people's willingness to adhere so strictly to it.  The ability to at least hear the opinions and feelings of another is part of human growth.  I think if people would take the hadith in context to the Qur'an.  If it causes problems between brothers in Islam, is this something the prophet would have wanted? 

PropellerAds

The narrations were delivered from different Sahaba. The scholars of Hadeeth have already dealt with that matter long time ago and they already have solved the matter. There are different opinions among scholars in certain matters, but the laymen should not give opinions, because they are not scholars.

The most important book is Sahih Bukhari, then Sahih Muslim. These contain only authentic ahadith.

Obviously they have not as people are still bickering with each other to the point of having different masjids based on their school

First, you claim that opinions are important for the human growth, but now you accuse scholars of bickering because they have different opinions.

The science of hadeeth is very thorough and the methodology of evaluating hadeeth is amazing. It took Bukhari 20 years to complete his Sahih Bukhari.

In aqeeda there is not difference in opinion. The differences are in Fiqh Issues. The differences in figh/understanding is a blessing, not a curse.

Judges and jurists have different understandings which is normal. You can find different understanding even among Prophets. There were cases where Da'wood alayhissalam and Sulayman alayhissalam were asked to solve a case and both came up with different judgments.

These are not misunderstandings, but valid ijtihaad.

Remember, the sources of Sharee'ah are:

1. Qur'an and Sunnah

2. Ijmaa of the Sahaba

3. Qiyaas of the Scholars of Islam

The Sunnah is contained in the Hadeeth.

Ijmaa of the Sahaba is binding, because it is the consense of the Sahaba.

Qiyaas means that the scholars derives their rulings through opinion. There are various methods how the scholar performs Qiyaas.

You have Ijtihaad, Istislaah, and other methods.

I think that you should read more about Ijmaa and Qiyaas and something called Usool.

Firstly you should really be more careful in how you view someone because you sound condescending right now.  Secondly my issue is not with the differences between the schools or people having different opinions.  The issue comes into play when individuals are going to the point that they allow these hadith to seperate them.  Are we as Muslims not ordered via the Qur'an to remain as one like a strand of rope?

Now if you still don't get it maybe there is someone around there that understand English better and can explain it to you. 

Are you talking about people who refer to themselves as being part of a madhab and do not like other madhabs. I have come across people like that. I think it is different for us converts who grew up in the west. These people generally came from a country where a madhab was the majority view of their country or at least they were born in the west but their family adhers to a certain madhab so they do to. I have read a lot about this and I still think there is a lack of clarity for the converts in the west who never grew up with any sort of influence. It makes sense in some ways that obviously people who live in Muslim countries should adher to the same madhab so there is less conflict. But for us what do we follow? 

I generally try to get the view of each madhab on a particular matter but some Muslims have told me that I am supposed to follow only one. I don't feel any single one has the right answers to everything so I look at the reasons of why they came to their answer and hopefully I use my judgement in the right way. Like I said I think it is difficult for us converts in this area.

• Like 1

Are you talking about people who refer to themselves as being part of a madhab and do not like other madhabs. I have come across people like that. I think it is different for us converts who grew up in the west. These people generally came from a country where a madhab was the majority view of their country or at least they were born in the west but their family adhers to a certain madhab so they do to. I have read a lot about this and I still think there is a lack of clarity for the converts in the west who never grew up with any sort of influence. It makes sense in some ways that obviously people who live in Muslim countries should adher to the same madhab so there is less conflict. But for us what do we follow? 

I generally try to get the view of each madhab on a particular matter but some Muslims have told me that I am supposed to follow only one. I don't feel any single one has the right answers to everything so I look at the reasons of why they came to their answer and hopefully I use my judgement in the right way. Like I said I think it is difficult for us converts in this area.

This is exactly what I am talking about. But, I have also noticed there are some Muslims who stay away from other Muslims all because of what madhab they follow.  Surely this is not what Allah (swt) wanted of us

Well I haven't really come across people staying away from each other because of their madhab they follow but I can say that I have seen conflicts arise in discussions. Or like a persons view isn't considered because they follow a certain madhab. I have also noticed it is a taboo subject with a lot of Muslims as they do not want to admit how some Muslims are dividing Islam by holding strongly on a madhab. There needs to be more flexibility in my opinion. I respect some people like to follow a certain school of thought but that doesn't mean they should limit their whole life to only accepting anything from that school of thought and not wanting to learn what others say. 

• Like 1

However, you blamed the hadeeth for the partisanship among the followers of Madhabs. You also said that the scholars were not able to solve problems. Even your title suggest that you are talking about Hadith. Your question was not clear at all.

How can a mere explanation be condescending. My reply was according to my understanding of your unclear question.

How can the hadeeth separate us? Partisanship appeared long after the time of the great imams. The partisanship is not as bad as it had been few decades ago.

Disagreement is part of Islam, but Muslims need to learn the Adab of Disagreement and the ethics/rules of disagreement.

Some Muslims only know the Islam that they learn from parents and they view this to be the only way. They would separate from other Muslims due to disagreement. There is a difference between disagreement and dispute.

Disagreement and diversity should not lead to disunity. This did not happen in early Islam.

If a Hadith is authentic it is binding.

Not the hadeeth is the reason for the partisanship among Muslims nor the adherence to them, but the abandonment of the Sunnah of the Prophet in general and adherence to the traditions of forefathers.

My question is only unclear because you do not understand the dialect of English (or perhaps English) itself.  As you can see another was able to understand it so your point holds no water.

Don't argue because you misunderstood each other  :D you are brothers in Islam 

[at]Kai he was talking about madhabs not hadiths per se 

Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Written language does not have any emotions.

You wrote: "Personally I feel that the source of problems is not the hadith itself but rather people's willingness to adhere so strictly to it."

If the hadeeth is authentic, we need to adhere to it strictly. I don't think adherence to a hadith should be called the source of problem. The source of problems should be the adherence to a particular Madhab while ignoring Sahih Bukhary and Sahih Muslim etc. The problem are people of fitnah who use the disagreements as an opportunity to disunite the Ummah. Sometimes, the division is caused by non-Muslims such as the Colonialists etc.

I think the source of problem is not even Taqleed, but something that is called Ta'assub to a particular madhab or scholar on one side, and Talfeeq/Fatwa Shopping on the other side.

Ta'assub is only for the Allah and His Messenger, but not for other scholars, not even Sahaba. Ta'assub is unconditional adherence or following of a particular scholar which is partisanship.

Talfeeq is fatwa shopping. People see a ruling they don't like and because they don't accept the ruling, they go around asking different scholars or imams until they come across an Imam who give the most lenient reply. This is fatwa shopping. Both are not because the some hadeeth seem to contradict, but because of a behavoral disorder they have. 

Edited by Kai Thaabit

By the way, a woman is naturally a verbal creature while a man is normally a visual-spacial creature. A sister is more likely to be able to read between the lines than a brother. I apologize for my hasty replies.

It is fine brother.  I take it generally as a language issue on here as it seems to be the issue most of the time on here.  And I agree with your statement.

Assalamu Alaykum

Another source of problem is that people sometimes just know one single hadeeth and think that this is the answer while ignoring that there are other hadeeth that say it a bit different. If there is a difference in hadeeth, it is not a curse for those who have knowledge, but a test for those laymen who don't feel the need to study further.

For example, one hadeeth tells us that 'Eesa bin Maryam alyhissalam will be on earth 7 years, but another tells us that he will reign 40 years. Probably, one brother knows only one hadeeth while the other brother only knows the second hadeeth. They may quarrel over the information and everyone thinks that he is right. However, the don't know that scholars already dealt with these hadeeth and came up with a conclusion. This is what I mean by saying that the scholars already solved the problem, but these two brothers are still bickering over what they know which is very limited knowledge.

The scholars found the conclusion that 'Eesa ben Maryam lived on earth 33 years. When he reached 33 years of age, he was raised up to the Heavens. When he comes back in the future, he will reign the last 7 years of his life and die at the age of 40 years. 

This was just an example. I have not come across a quarrel about this specific topic yet, It's a scenario.

Assalamu Alaykum

Another source of problem is that people sometimes just know one single hadeeth and think that this is the answer while ignoring that there are other hadeeth that say it a bit different. If there is a difference in hadeeth, it is not a curse for those who have knowledge, but a test for those laymen who don't feel the need to study further.

For example, one hadeeth tells us that 'Eesa bin Maryam alyhissalam will be on earth 7 years, but another tells us that he will reign 40 years. Probably, one brother knows only one hadeeth while the other brother only knows the second hadeeth. They may quarrel over the information and everyone thinks that he is right. However, the don't know that scholars already dealt with these hadeeth and came up with a conclusion. This is what I mean by saying that the scholars already solved the problem, but these two brothers are still bickering over what they know which is very limited knowledge.

The scholars found the conclusion that 'Eesa ben Maryam lived on earth 33 years. When he reached 33 years of age, he was raised up to the Heavens. When he comes back in the future, he will reign the last 7 years of his life and die at the age of 40 years. 

This was just an example. I have not come across a quarrel about this specific topic yet, It's a scenario.

This is very interesting considering that Christianity says 33 years as well and yet there is no source that I know (as far as Christianity) that says this.

There is not mentioning of Isa being 33 years old, but the information that he will die with 40 years of age. I might open another thread to post some information about that topic.

We also know that when we enter Jannah we will have the age of 'Eesa which is 33 years old. 

It is also amazing that Isa ascended to the Heavens about 2000 years ago, yet he is not 2000 years old, but 33. This shows that wherever Jesus is right now, there is no time. He lives in "place" that is above the 4 dimensions. Time is the fourth dimension while space is the third dimension and area is the second dimension while a dot/line is the first dimension.