Islamic Forum
SaracenSoldier

Result Of Al-Shababs Ban On Aid Groups Somalia

Banning aid groups, in Al-Shabaab’s interest or the Somali people?

By Harar24′s Editorial Team

It’s been a little over two years since Al-Shabaab began banning most aid agencies operating in the regions and areas they controlled. Several reasons were given and different explanations were cited by Al-Shabaab. Others warned and said that there would be food shortage and that these actions were bound to starve the victims of the then-famine. After two years what has changed? Has the famine returned? And how are the people coping?

In order to correspond and communicate with aid organizations Al-Shabaab  set up what they called “OSAFA”, “Office for Supervising the Affairs of Foreign Agencies”. Naturally Al-Shabaab laid down guidelines & regulations for aid organizations to abide by and follow. So where did it all go wrong? Well, to begin with Al-Shabaab accused the majority of agencies and organizations of bringing expired food and labeled it “unfit for human consumption”. Secondly, which is what’s really interesting, was that Al-Shabaab was claiming that these aid agencies and organizations had hidden motives and agendas, which they claimed was to prevent Somalia and Somalis from being self sufficient, to constantly rely on aid from the outside world and to prevent the economy from improving. A classic example; a farmer would be planting and tending to his crops until harvesting season arrives, only to find that nobody is willing to buy from him, because everybody is busy getting aid from agencies and organizations. Thus, the farmer would give up his job and abandon his farm, nobody works, no produce, no economy and the vicious cycle would continue.

To see what Somalia is capable of producing and bringing forth one only has to look at the lush farmlands in, Jamame, Jilib, Kamsuma, Afgoye, Marerey and many other cities and regions in Somalia. An abundance of different produces can be found including, mangoes, a variety of bananas, coconuts, sugarcanes, papaya, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, onions and much more. It’s a well-known fact that Somalia had a history of being self sufficient, but what changed? As mentioned before, one of the reasons was the dependency on handouts and relief. Another important factor that prevented the land from being cultivated was the lack of security. As the country became engulfed in civil war and anarchy, warlords took control of different pockets of land where they extorted people, oppressed them and often killed them for the most minute of things. As much as people hate to admit it the Al-Shabaab movement did bring a relevant element of peace and stability to the large swathes of land they controlled.  This encouraged farmers to return to their farmlands, cultivate them and tend to them, however hope was lost and morale plummeted after being unable to make any profit and seeing their crops go to waste time after time, due to the population having been accustomed to receiving aid. This in a nutshell can be said is why Al-Shabaab banned aid agencies and saw it as a necessity if Somalia’s economy was to be improved.

To see if the ban had the desired effects or adverse effects on the agricultural industry we decided to travel down south, to the fertile and green land of the Jubba regions. It’s an astonishing sight, the vegetation is lush, the greenery is astounding and the more south you head, the greener it gets.

In Bu’ale, around 150 kilometers north of Kismayo, we met Ali Ahmed Dahir, a clan elder who also is a farmer himself, we asked him about the situation, the farming and the effects of the ban on aid. “We have everything here, mangos, bananas, papaya, lemons, you name it. The land and the soil are very fertile and we use irrigation to have water reach our farms. We used to use engines before to pump the water from the river to the farms, but now we use irrigation. The majority of people are taking farming as a profession and many are returning to their profession, because they’ve seen the results and the amounts of money to be made.” he said with a freshly picked mango in his hand. “The people have realized the results of farming and what these lands can produce. But that’s mainly due to two things, the security that has been established and the expulsion of these aid agencies. What they were doing is well known, it was a form of colonialism, a psychological warfare to morally break you. Now we are dependent on no one and fear none”.

It seemed as if the whole town agreed with his view, wherever we went we received the same replies and answers. “I don’t have a farm or a piece of land, but I can tell you its safe and secure here, you can even walk at night. The agricultural business is booming so much, I’m saving up and planning on buying a plot of land.” one of the local townsmen Muse Aweys told us.

The produce from these farms are transported to different areas in Somalia and unlike before, the crops and products are actually being sold and bought in Somali markets. The Shabelle & Jubba rivers flow through many areas of Somalia making the area surrounding it very fertile. Even in the Hiran region where you’d maybe expect more herders than farmers, you still have very fertile farmlands bearing fruits like mango.

A recent article by FAO Somalia, claimed that it was due to their help that Somali farmers have been successful since the 2011 drought, but, it’s a well-known fact that Al-Shabaab don’t permit FAO and other similar organizations to operate in their areas, so to what or who can the success of the farmers in those areas be attributed to?

Going back to our initial questions, there is no famine nor does there seem to be any famine soon. The people and the farmers in particular seems to be doing fine, are well off, independent and self sufficient. We can only see things turning out better for the future of Somalia and Somalis.

So banning aid, was it in the interest of Al-Shabaab, or the Somali people?

http://harar24.com/?p=11064

• Like 1

PropellerAds

And neither is  Al Shabaab   in the interest of the Somali people .

And neither is  Al Shabaab   in the interest of the Somali people .

Perhaps. But no one can deny now that they were right in banning those aid groups and the results are clear for all to see. The Somalis under their rule are now independent and don't need to starve nor beg foreigners to feed their kids. It is thanks to their policy and no one can take that from them.

• Like 1

Perhaps. But no one can deny now that they were right in banning those aid groups and the results are clear for all to see. The Somalis under their rule are now independent and don't need to starve nor beg foreigners to feed their kids. It is thanks to their policy and no one can take that from them.

touche. regardless of any position on al shabaab the fact is that their method worked

• Like 1

You both should ask the Somali People themselves if they agree with your estimations . I DOUBT that they do .....after all if they disagree they will be killed .

Aligarr. What are you talking about? Do you even think before you post? Firstly , you say that al-shabaab are not in the interest of Somalis, well did you ask the Somalis if they agree with your estimation? Who made you spokesperson for all Somalis?

Then you hypocriticaly tell me to ask the Somalis about something which is fact? Did you even read the OP? I even posted pictures for crying out loud. It is from an independent news website who did their own research and have included interviews from ordinary Somalis. Did you even read what was posted?

How is that my estimation? I merely posted what those journalists discovered. You are a classic case of blinded by hate. Learn to be just. If you see something good acknowledge it.

I have a suggestion Saracen Soldier ........read the newspapers , watch the TV , be aware of what's going on around you . Somalis who disagree with Al Shabaab are killed. Al Shabaab who disagree with Al Shabaab are killed .

You're living in a make-believe world of your own .

You need to come back to planet Earth .

I have a suggestion Saracen Soldier ........read the newspapers , watch the TV , be aware of what's going on around you . Somalis who disagree with Al Shabaab are killed. Al Shabaab who disagree with Al Shabaab are killed .

You're living in a make-believe world of your own .

You need to come back to planet Earth .

So we should read the reports paid for by major corporations like FoxNews?  or maybe we should be watching CNN?  how about MSNBC? My best friend happens to be a a journalist major and he will tell you first hand that most companies in the U.S. these days have an extremely biased viewpoint that they want to portray and right now it is not in the favor of any major American television station to report good news about ANY Islamic group. 

I will give an example.  Several news stations were quick to cover the attack on the Christian churches in Pakistan but how many covered the fact that Muslims joined the Christians in Pakistan by the thousands and joined hands around the church and the Imams called for the politicians to join them in a sign of solidarity?  But, then again what can I expect for a relativist?

If we are all allowed to make broad sweeping statements about people then I should assume that you are apart of the satanic church or at least agree with their ideology based upon your icon statement

• Like 1

You are a man of clichés . My sources are not MSNBC or FOX news . I detest both . There are several sources illuminating the acts of Al Shabaab .  You however are in denial . That is your choice .

It seems that over time your true character has come out and rather than post anything factual you make accusations while insulting the members of this forum.

For you , to be corrected is to be insulted  ?

I take exception to arguments based in opinion , and those which contradict already known facts .

You choose not to believe the true nature of Al Shabaab due to subjective and religious bias , as does Saracen Soldier .

saracen has laid out proof, where is yours.  Seems like rather than giving proof of anything you simply skim over the site looking for excuses to post

Jesus said to Peter - "Peter who do men say I am ? " Peter answered - " You are the Christ " . Jesus answered -. " Peter men have not revealed this to you but my father in Heaven ."

How is that revealed to Peter ? By The Holy Spirit .

Jesus said any one delivered into his hand by the spirit shall not be taken from my Hand .

That is what Jesus said faithi ....now refute that if you can . If you can not then you are better off remaining silent . Once a man is saved by believing on Jesus , his death , burial and resurrection , he can not be lost .  THAT is the Everlasting Gospel that has eluded you when you thought you were a Christian . That belief  only comes to a man by the Spirit .

Have you rejected that faithi ?  You must have since you claim to have learned about Christianity from the age of 8 .  My proof is in the  words of Jesus , which you can not refute .

Edited by Aligarr

Do you know what the term Christ means? It comes from greek meaning anointed, same as messiah.  Next it says no where in there that the holy spirit gave it to him, it says that the Father in Heaven revealed this to him. 

As far as my upbringing let me say a couple of things.  Firstly where I am from what you are doing is close to calling someone a liar and the way I was raised that is reason for fighting.  Secondly, if you want to know the details of my upbringing all you had to do was ask.  Its already on the forum. 

I grew up in Munford, TN.  My youth pastor there was named Scott Decker.  http://www.mylife.com/deckerscottnc  our teachings there were extensive.  Later on in life I attending what was then known as Crichton College now known Victory University http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_University  I had wanted to go there because that is where Scott Decker went.  It went under in 2008 though so I transferred to Belhaven University http://www.belhaven.edu/ .  At Crichton it was mandatory to take at least one theology class.  At Belhaven University the worldview curriculum intermixes classes so history/ideas was a singular listed class but had two separate teachers.  The ideas portion was a theology course.  It is required for four semesters.

I know what I know and I know what I believed and I know what I believe now.  Genesis chapter 1 and Luke chapter 4 shows that the holy spirit was here before Jesus (pbuh).  1 John chapter 4 shows that every spirit is not necessarily THE Holy Spirit.  Psalms 91 clearly states that the messiah will see NO harm and Luke chapter 4 collaborates that Psalms 91 is about Jesus (pbuh).  Mark chapter 10:18 shows that Jesus (pbuh) was not God.  John 20:17 reiterates this. Matthew 24:36, Matthew 26:39, John 5:26, John 5:30, John 5:19, John 14:28, Matthew 27:46, James 1:13. 

There are many "theologians " who are not Christians .Indeed several who are atheists .  There are many born into Christianity who were never Christians to begin with .  Your story is in no way unique .

I do find it rather surprising , that one such as yourself who claims such a background , can possibly  confuse the verses of Job to mean son of man as it refers to Jesus , in a comparison to a "worm "  and your explanation regarding your reasoning process reaching that .

I find that very odd indeed .

And yes , I know what the Greek word Christ means - anointed , and yes The Father in Heaven revealed it to Peter through the same Holy Spirit which descended on Jesus when he was baptized by John the Baptist.

btw . my mistake , the last two posts belong on another thread . .

Edited by Aligarr

As for Somalia , it is one of the THREE most corrupt nation ns on the planet , it rates high in mortality of infants and under 5 children by wasting [ starvation ] .Sexual violence and rape are off the scale , foreign embassies are bombed , there are travel advisories discoursing travel there from virtually every civilized country .

The sources are API/  Reuters / Unicef / Doctors without Borders / Numerous human rights non governmental organizations . It is a lawless country , with pirates operating with impunity .

If you wish to entertain Saracen Soldiers delusion   , go right ahead . That's on you .

BTW - 11 killed today in Mogadishu Hotel bombing .

As for Somalia , it is one of the THREE most corrupt nation ns on the planet , it rates high in mortality of infants and under 5 children by wasting [ starvation ] .Sexual violence and rape are off the scale , foreign embassies are bombed , there are travel advisories discoursing travel there from virtually every civilized country .

The sources are API/  Reuters / Unicef / Doctors without Borders / Numerous human rights non governmental organizations . It is a lawless country , with pirates operating with impunity .

If you wish to entertain Saracen Soldiers delusion   , go right ahead . That's on you .

Where is your proof concerning the group?  post it here.

There are many "theologians " who are not Christians .Indeed several who are atheists .  There are many born into Christianity who were never Christians to begin with .  Your story is in no way unique .

I do find it rather surprising , that one such as yourself who claims such a background , can possibly  confuse the verses of Job to mean son of man as it refers to Jesus , in a comparison to a "worm "  and your explanation regarding your reasoning process reaching that .

I find that very odd indeed .

And yes , I know what the Greek word Christ means - anointed , and yes The Father in Heaven revealed it to Peter through the same Holy Spirit which descended on Jesus when he was baptized by John the Baptist.

btw . my mistake , the last two posts belong on another thread . .

If you are going to continue to question whether or not I was actually Christian I am just going to stop responding because it is getting old.  I was extremely Christian before I became Muslim.  And from what it sounds like you insist on reiterating teaches of leaders of the church that are not in the Bible.  You asked me to explain it and I did using the exact same vere you used. Where does it say that the holy spirit revealed it to him? 

As for the worm thing... I posted nothing about Job I think you are getting confused because I remember Andalusi posted something about worms in the book of Job in another thread.

Edited by fathi
  • Like 1

If you are going to continue to question whether or not I was actually Christian I am just going to stop responding because it is getting old.  I was extremely Christian before I became Muslim.  And from what it sounds like you insist on reiterating teaches of leaders of the church that are not in the Bible.  You asked me to explain it and I did using the exact same vere you used. Where does it say that the holy spirit revealed it to him? 

As for the worm thing... I posted nothing about Job I think you are getting confused because I remember Andalusi posted something about worms in the book of Job in another thread.

I'd question whether he is actually  "without a religion" as per username info published in each post.

•  

• Aligarr
    • Religion: Believer without religion