Islamic Forum
TonyJ

Top 5 Greatest Deeds Of Muhammad?

Salaam Aleykum,

I have heard plenty of stories about bad things that
Muhammad is said to have done from non-Muslims. Now I want to hear the other
side of the story from Muslims. There must have been many good deeds he
performed that makes him so loved by so many.

Please give me your top 5 greatest deeds of Muhammad, i.e.
stuff like acts of kindness that demonstrate his good character. I am most
interested in things that he did rather than said.

Also please provide references to hadith or Sirat.

Thanks,

Edited by TonyJ

PropellerAds

These are not my top 5 or the main good deeds OR the best 5 deeds, but are some amongst many many.

But since you asked for only 5, ill start by listing "some" instead, as 5 is too limiting.

He stopped the practice of pagans who would kill their daughters, just because they were daughters

He freed and emacipated  Salves from their oppresive owners

He fed the poor and the needy and looked after the orphans and emphasized the equality of all races and colours and human beings and their equal treatment.

He distributed wealth rather than have it hoarded

He established a sytstem of self purification, zakat and prayer

He established a criteria and systemattic guideline for physical and spiritual cleanliness.

The aim of prophets is to invite to good and escrew evil amongst the people and to worship one God.

I know very well that people to debate , argue and say belittle muslims. However I have no time for it and will only answer the question.

Thanks for reading.

Peace.

Edited by Arsalan

Thank you Arsalan for your reply.

Can you provide some specifics and some references?

For example, for freeing slaves, who were these slaves? What were their names? When did it happen? In the Meccan or Medinan Phase? How did he do it? Did he buy them their freedom? Or did he free them after conquering a town? etc. I have heard of an incident from the hadiths of where he freed Muslim slaves by swapping them with other slaves that he owned. But I have not heard of specific incidents where he freed every slave because he believed slavery was wrong.

Where in Quran and hadith is the equality of all races and colours emphasized?

Thanks again.

Al Hijraat verse 13

the last khutba of the prophet (saw): 

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to
yourselves.

source: http://www.hadithoftheday.com/inspiration/islamic-information/the-last-sermon/

I know a few more though I do not know the sources off hand. 

Maybe I can list them and then someone else can fill in the blanks.

The first one that comes to mind is there was an old lady walking along and she needed some help and a man offered to help him.  She allowed him to help her on the condition that he would not mention the name of Muhammad (saw) and he kept to this the whole way until she asked him what his name was and being honest he told her his name.... Muhammad (saw).  Now imagine this...this woman is talking bad about him to his face the whole time and he says not a word but helps her carry her load.  After she realized who he was because of his kind nature and warm smile she took shahada.

Another one I have heard of was the prophet (saw) was fixing to eat some goat when he was informed that it had been poisoned.  When the woman was brought before him to account for what she did, she admitted it and apologized.  He forgave her and let her live. 

It is also said that during the time of the prophet (saw) he would let the children climb on his back while he was making salah.

Now if you want a specific example of the prophet muhammad (saw) freeing a slave you need only look to the story of Bilal who became the first to ever call the azan and was a close companion of the prophet muhammad (saw).

"Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him and that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility and say, "My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood." [Noble Quran 17:23-24]

A man came to the Prophet and said: O Messenger of Allah! Who from amongst mankind warrants the best companionship from me? He replied: "Your mother." The man asked: Then who? So he replied: "Your mother." The man then asked: Then who? So the Prophet replied again: "Your mother." The man then asked: Then who? So he replied: "Then your father." (Sahîh Bukhârî 5971 and Sahîh Muslim 7/2)

"He who wrongs a Jew or a Christian will have myself as his accuser on the Day of Judgment." (Al-Bukhari)

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-Islam/about-muhammad/his-character/457717-the-prophets-kindness-towards-people-of-the-book.html

http://rasoulallah.net/index.php/en/articles/article/13230

here is some more: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=articles&id=136183

• Like 1

Well I have so many but since you want references I will have to search more for them but I will provide some for now. I admire that you want references though it is very important in my opinion too. 

Firstly the story brother fathi talked about a goat being poisoned. It was actually sheep but the general story is true it was poisoned and they asked if they should kill her because of this and Prophet Muhammad pbuh said no: 

Narrated Anas bin Malik:A Jewess brought a poisoned (cooked) sheep for the Prophet (ﷺ) who ate from it. She was brought to the Prophet and he was asked, "Shall we kill her?" He said, "No." I continued to see the effect of the poison on the palate of the mouth of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) . (Sahih Bukhari, Book 47, Number 786)

I know this one may not seem like so important to you or you may wonder why it is such a good deed but to us it is. Muhammad pbuh had become powerful in his community and if he wanted he could have had people serve him all day long because they believed he was a prophet. Even before he had many followers the powerful tribesmen offered him power and he rejected it. I really love Muhammad pbuh for this because imagine you were offered all you wanted - it would be difficult to reject. Even his followers would complain as to why he lived a life not like a king. I will provide references for all of my paraphrasing: 

'Amrah Radiyallahu 'Anha reports that someone asked 'Aayeshah Radiyallahu 'Anha. "What was the usual practice of Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam at home?" She replied: "He was a human from among other humans. He himself removed the lice from his clothing, milked his goats, and did all his work himself". ( Il Tirmidhi Book 46 No 13)

Ibn 'Abbaas Radiyallahu 'Anhu says:

"Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam was the most generous among people in performing good deeds (No one could compare with him in generosity. He himself led a simple life, but in giving he would put a king to shame. At a time of great need a woman presented him a sheet, and he wore it as he was in need of it. A person came to him, and asked him for it, he presented the sheet to that person. Taking of loans and fulfilling the needs of others, when the creditors came, and if something had come from somewhere, he would pay the debts, and did not go home till everything was given to the needy. There exists many incidents of this nature, so much so that it is not possible to enumerate them). Particularly in the month of Ramadaan, he would be more generous till the month ended. (His generosity in this month exceeded all the other months). In this month when Jibra-eel 'Alayhis Salaam came and recited the Qur-aan to Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam, at that time his generosity exceeded the wind that brings forth heavy rains".

( Il Tirmidhi Chapter 47 Number 11)

He shared whatever he got:

Narrated 'Abdur-Rahman bin Abu Bakr: We were one-hundred and thirty persons accompanying the Prophet who asked us whether anyone of us had food. There was a man who had about a Sa of wheat which was mixed with water then. A very tall pagan came driving sheep. The Prophet asked him, "Will you sell us (a sheep) or give it as a present?" He said, "I will sell you (a sheep)." The Prophet bought a sheep and it was slaughtered. The Prophet ordered that its liver and other abdominal organs be roasted. By Allah, the Prophet gave every person of the one-hundred-and-thirty a piece of that; he gave all those of them who were present; and kept the shares of those who were absent.The Prophet then put its meat in two huge basins and all of them ate to their fill, and even then more food was left in the two basins which were carried on the camel (or said something like it). 
Sahih Bukhari Book 47 No. 787. 

Narrated Anas bin Malik: Abu Talha said to Um Sulaim, "I have heard the voice of Allah's Apostle which was feeble, and I think that he is hungry. Have you got something (to eat)?" She took out some loaves of barley bread, then took her face-covering sheet and wrapped the bread in part of it, and pushed it under my garment and turned the rest of it around my body and sent me to Allah's Apostle . I went with that, and found Allah's Apostle in the Masjid with some people. I stood up near them, and Allah's Apostle asked me, "Have you been sent by Abu Talha?" I said, "Yes." He asked, "With some food (for us)?" I said, "Yes." Then Allah's Apostle said to all those who were with him, "Get up!" He set out (and all the people accompanied him) and I proceeded ahead of them till I came to Abu Talha. Abu Talha then said, "O Um Sulaim! Allah's Apostle has arrived along with the people, and we do not have food enough to feed them all." She said, "Allah and His Apostle know better." So Abu Talha went out till he met Allah's Apostle. Then Abu Talha and Allah's Apostle came and entered the house. Allah's Apostle said, "Um Sulaim ! Bring whatever you have." She brought that very bread. The Prophet ordered that it be crushed into small pieces, and Um Sulaim pressed a skin of butter on it. Then Allah's Apostle said whatever Allah wished him to say (to bless the food) and then added, "Admit ten (men)." So they were admitted, ate their fill and went out. The Prophet then said, "Admit ten (more)." They were admitted, ate their full, and went out. He then again said, "Admit ten more!" They were admitted, ate their fill, and went out. He admitted ten more, and so all those people ate their fill, and they were eighty men. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith 65 No 294). 

He tried to make peace between people:

Narrated Sahl bin Sad: Once the people of Quba fought with each other till they threw stones on each other. When Allah's Apostle was informed about it, he said, "Let us go to bring about a reconciliation between them." 
Sahih Bukhari Book 49 No.858 

(Can anybody find that hadith about the people who were complaining about how kings live in luxury but Muhammad didn't?)

Ok I found that hadith I wanted:

Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates: I visited Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), and he was lying on a mat. I sat down and he drew up his lower garment over him and he had nothing (else) over him, and that the mat had left its marks on his sides. I looked with my eyes in the storeroom of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). I found only a handful of barley equal to one sa' and an equal quantity of the leaves of Mimosa Flava placed in the nook of the cell, and a semi-tanned leather bag hanging (in one side), and I was moved to tears (on seeing this extremely austere living of the Holy Prophet), and he said: Ibn Khattab, what wakes you weep? I said: Apostle of Allah, why should I not shed tears? This mat has left its marks on your sides and I do not see in your storeroom (except these few things) that I have seen; Caesar and Chosroes are leading their lives in plenty whereas you are Allah's Messenger, His chosen one, and that is your store! He said: Ibn Khattab, aren't you satisfied that for us (there should be the prosperity) of the Hereafter, and for them (there should be the prosperity of) this world? I said: Yes. (Sahih Muslim, Book 009, Number 3507)

• Like 1

All stories are from Sahih Bukhary:

1. Muhammad as Judge: 

Narrated Said bin Jubair:

I said to Ibn 'Umar, "If a man accuses his wife of illegal sexual intercourse (what is the judgment)?" He said, "Allah's Prophet separated the couple of Bani 'Ajlan (when the husband accused his wife for an illegal sexual intercourse). The Prophet said, 'Allah knows that one of you two IS a liar; so will one of you repent?' But they refused. He then again said, 'Allah knows that one of you two is a liar; so will one of you repent?' But they refused, whereupon he separated them by divorce." Aiyub (a sub-narrator) said: 'Amr bin Dinar said to me, "In the narration there is something which I do not see you mentioning, i.e. the husband said, "What about my money (Mahr)?' The Prophet said, "You are not entitled to take back money, for if you told the truth you have already entered upon her (and consummated your marriage with her) and if you are a liar then you are less entitled to take it back.

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

The Prophet said to those who were involved in a case of Lian, "Your accounts are with Allah. One of you two is a liar. You (husband) have right on her (wife)." The husband said, "My money, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet

said, "You are not entitled to take back any money. If you have told the truth, the Mahr that you paid, was for having sexual relations with her lawfully; and if you are a liar, then you are less entitled to get it back."

2. Muhammad as a father

Narrated Abu Huraira Ad-Dausi

Once the Prophet went out during the day. Neither did he talk to me nor I to him till he reached the market of Bani Qainuqa and then he sat in the compound of Fatima's house and asked about the small boy (his grandsonAl-Hasan) but Fatima kept the boy in for a while. I thought she was either changing his clothes or giving the boy a bath. After a while the boy came out running and the Prophet embraced and kissed him and then said, 'O Allah! Love him, and love whoever loves him.'

3. Muhammad as master of the household

Narrated Anas

A young jewish boy used to serve the Prophet and he became sick. So the Prophet went to visit him. He sat near his head and asked him to embrace Islam. The boy looked at his father, who was sitting there; the latter told him to obey Abu-l-Qasim and the boy embraced Islam. The Prophet came out saying: "Praises be to Allah Who saved the boy from the Hell-fire."

4. Muhammad the Intercessor

Narrated Anas

I heard the Prophet saying, "On the Day of Resurrection I will intercede and say, "O my Lord! Admit into Paradise (even) those who have faith equal to a mustard seed in their hearts." Such people will enter Paradise, and then I will say, 'O (Allah) admit into Paradise (even) those who have the least amount of faith in their hearts." anas then said: As if I were just now looking at the fingers of Allah's Apostle.

5. Muhammad the Humble and Selfless

Narrated Abu Huraira

"A man from the Muslims and a man from the Jews quarrelled, and the Muslim said, "By Him Who gave superiority to Muhammad over all the people!" The Jew said, "By Him Who gave superiority to Moses over all the people!' On that the Muslim lifted his hand and slapped the Jew. The Jewwent to Allah's Apostle and informed him of all that had happened between him and the Muslim. The Prophet said, "Do not give mesuperiority over Moses, for the people will fall unconscious on the Day of Resurrection, I will be the first to regain consciousness and behold, Moses will be standing there, holding the side of the Throne. I will not know whether he has been one of those who have fallen unconscious and then regained consciousness before me, or if he has been one of those exempted by Allah (from falling unconscious)." (See Hadith No. 524, Vol. 8)