Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By monoroma
      Dear All, 

I am new to the forum and am looking for help. I am going through a stressful time in my life and have sought the blessing and guidance of an elder. He kindly sent me two duwas, but since I have Surahs memorized and read translations, I have forgotten how to read Arabic. I am sharing links to the duwas. Can you please help me pronounce them? I have e-mailed him with the same request, but since he is so busy, it might be a while till he gets back to me and I want to get started as soon as possible. 

I would be very grateful if someone could help me read the duwas. 

Thank you in advance. 

Here are the links: a) http://imageshack.us/a/img811/1426/dumf.jpg and b) http://imageshack.us/a/img441/6193/top2s.png
    • By ihsaancourse
      Ihsaan Courses Presents

3 Month Structured Arabic Language and Qur'aan Tajweed Courses taught by highly experienced teachers.

Ihsaan Courses is a non-profit organisation dedicated to teaching you the Authentic Qur’aan and Sunnah.

We are now offering the following courses:

Arabic Language Course - Bayna Yadayk book 1 (Level 1) Also for sisters.
      Tajweed Recitation Course – Al-Tuhfah al-Atfal (Level 1)

With our highly qualified and recognized Teachers:

Ustaadh Abu Hasnayn Murtaza Khan
      Ustaadh Abu Abdillah Yunus bin Mahmood
      Ustaadh Abu Hudhayfah
      Sheikh Ahmad As-Somali

Please visit our courses page for more details including fees.

Enrol NOW!

For more details regarding timings or payment options please contact Bilal on 07507441059 or email: ihsaancourses[at]live.com

Sisters course Registration dates: 3-4 November 2012 at our venue .

For more details regarding timings or payment options re: sisters’ courses please contact Umm Khadeejah at 07958 268341 (Strictly SISTERS only)

Venue: 313-319 Katherine Road, Forest Gate, London, E7 8PJ
    • By TonyJ
      Please only answer the post if you are a native speaker of Arabic. I am only interested in native speakers opinions, not even people that have studied Arabic for many years.

The question is simple, the Koran verse 4:34 when talking about disobident wives, it suggest the following action should be taken against them (among other things):

إضربوهن

What does this mean?

The traditional translation is that it means to hit them:

YUSUFALI: beat them (lightly)
      PICKTHAL: scourge them
      SHAKIR: beat them

But I have read a few places online that it could have another meaning not connected with physical violence of any sort. So I was interested in knowing what actual native Arabic speakers think it means and what propertion of native Arabic speakers think it could mean something else.

Thanks everyone.