Islamic Forum
iceHorse

The Quran Explains The Quran

No, both their "version" of the Qur'an, which misses two verses, and the fact that they treat the Qur'an as the only source of Divine guidance is problematic.

I haven't read al-Hillah/Khan's translation. I think Pickthall's is quite good, but I don't think Khan's can be that bad unless otherwise specified. 

The Qur'an says that the Hajj is during well-known months. Since when something well-known becomes a matter of every single individual's personal conscience? The Qur'an says four months are sacred. Is that a matter of personal conscience? The Qur'an says to remember Allah during the appointed days. Since when something appointed becomes a matter of personal conscience?  

The more I scrutinise this issue, the more it becomes internally contradictory if we include the Hadith as necessary and divine.

The Quran clearly states that it is complete and self sufficient, needing no additions nor clarification. It also says to obey the Messenger (ie, obey the message, not everything the person carrying the message says.)

The Hadith suggest that the Quran in incomplete and needing clarification, which cannot be so. They also suggest that we should treat as divine, all the utterances of a man, which again contradicts the Quran.

Purely by taking the Quran as the starting point and assuming that it is as described within itself, the Hadith are not just unecessary, but against the teaching of the Quran.

If we take the Hadith as necessary, that in itself contradicts the Quran.

It seems very clear to me. How would you reconcile this?

PropellerAds

Firstly, the Qur'an doesn't say that it does not need clarification, that it is self-sufficient.

Secondly, as for obeying the Messenger, his orders regarding prayer, Zakah, Hajj, etc., i.e. things that deal with religion, are a part of of the Message! Why on Earth do you think the Muslims faced Jerusalem, the Qiblah which preceded the present Qiblah, the Masjid al-Haram, which is in Makkah and which we face now? Why on Earth did they face Jerusalem although the Qur'an never instructs to face it? Because the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, ordered them and it was a part of the Message. The same applies to the Prophet's (pbuh) instructions regarding prayer, Zakah, Hajj, etc.  

• Like 1

Why on Earth do you think the Muslims faced Jerusalem, the Qiblah which preceded the present Qiblah, the Masjid al-Haram, which is in Makkah and which we face now? Why on Earth did they face Jerusalem although the Qur'an never instructs to face it?  

My question is, why does it matter which way we face? The Quran does not specify, so why is it important? Allah does not live in the Kaaba so what/who are we praying to?

My question is, why does it matter which way we face? The Quran does not specify, so why is it important? Allah does not live in the Kaaba so what/who are we praying to?

So, according to you, the Qur'an does not specify which way we should face?

So, according to you, the Qur'an does not specify which way we should face?

I'm no expert. I'm kind of new to this. I was referring to your post.

Why on Earth did they face Jerusalem although the Qur'an never instructs to face it?

I missed the Jerusalem reference, sorry.  If Muhammed was wrong about the direction of prayer, does it not indicate that we shouldn't take his instructions as gospel, only the Quran?

I'm no expert. I'm kind of new to this. I was referring to your post.

I missed the Jerusalem reference, sorry.  If Muhammed was wrong about the direction of prayer, does it not indicate that we shouldn't take his instructions as gospel, only the Quran?

The Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, was not wrong about the direction of prayer. He wanted to face Masjid al-Haram!

We have certainly seen the turning of your face, [O Muhammad], toward the heaven, and We will surely turn you to a qiblah with which you will be pleased. So turn your face toward al-Masjid al-Haram. And wherever you [believers] are, turn your faces toward it [in prayer]. Indeed, those who have been given the Scripture well know that it is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do. 2:144

The Prophet (pbuh) used to look up at the heaven and supplicate to Allah because he wanted to face Masjid al-Haram.

Allah says in the Qur'an that he made the previous Qiblah as a test in order to see who would follow the Messenger and who would turn on his heels:

And We did not make the qiblah which you used to face except that We might make evident who would follow the Messenger from who would turn back on his heels. And indeed, it is difficult except for those whom Allah has guided. (2:143)

Allah ordered the first Qiblah. However, there is no verse in the Qur'an indicating what the previous Qiblah is. There is no command yet the believers did. Why? Because the Messenger commanded it, and whoever obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah, as the Qur'an says, even if the order is not found in the Qur'an.

Firstly, the Qur'an doesn't say that it does not need clarification, that it is self-sufficient.

Secondly, as for obeying the Messenger, his orders regarding prayer, Zakah, Hajj, etc., i.e. things that deal with religion, are a part of of the Message! Why on Earth do you think the Muslims faced Jerusalem, the Qiblah which preceded the present Qiblah, the Masjid al-Haram, which is in Makkah and which we face now? Why on Earth did they face Jerusalem although the Qur'an never instructs to face it? Because the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, ordered them and it was a part of the Message. The same applies to the Prophet's (pbuh) instructions regarding prayer, Zakah, Hajj, etc.  

In verses 4:82, 10:15, 26:195, 43:2, 43:3 the Quran declares itself to be clear and understandable, and in 86:13 it declares that it holds the strict laws.

In verses 4:82, 10:15, 26:195, 43:2, 43:3 the Quran declares itself to be clear and understandable, and in 86:13 it declares that it holds the strict laws.

None of the verses you quoted suggest nor hint that there is no need for further instruction from the Prophet (pbuh).

I really don't understand why it is so hard to understand that the quran actively encourages the following of the prophet and that includes his way of life and words! Why do people then still say isn't the quran sufficient. The quran is the book that says we should follow the prophet so yes the quran is sufficient and supports that we follow the prophet. Following the hadiths does not mean the quran is not sufficient because the quran told us to. 

Now it is understandable that a small minority of people who are falling outside the fold of Islam are supporting silly views that the quran does not promote the hadith. It is much easier for them to follow less, to interpret things how they like and follow their own desires. These are weak people and so they follow weak instructions. But for people who are looking at Islam from an outside point of view I think they must be reading this stuff before they read the quran to come to a conclusion that the quran does not support that we follow the prophet. Then they raise questions such as what if a hadith contradicts the quran (which is a welcomed question) yet when we provide resources about the science of the hadith they don't seem to read it. It seems like they don't want to learn that the quran and hadith were compiled in similar ways and that each hadith went through a strict process before it was included.