Islamic Forum
iceHorse

Islamic Values, Take 2

Several months ago I asked about Islamic values. At that time I left the question open-ended. Since then I have found a short list of values that I think sum up the things I care about:

- Honor

- Freedom

- Arts

- Knowledge

- Friendship

- Logic

- Compassion

Do you agree with this list? If not, how would you change it?

PropellerAds

Since those values are the positives, of course I agree.

But, you remember the other thread which opposite.

Though, better if we can provide them with ayat/verses and/or hadits. Unfortunately, I can't help to search because my network is very slowly and often get error.

Since making this post, I've had some further discussions, and I think I might be able to be more specific. First, I was directed to this quote from Hassan al Banna. (I hope he is not a controversial figure, I just liked the quote):

A Muslim should strive to attain a strong body, good character, cultured thought. He should be able to earn a living, have pure belief, and correct worship. He should be able to control his desires, be careful about his time, organized in his affairs, and beneficial to those around him. These comprise the duties of every Muslim as an individual.

From my Western perspective I have to say I like this definition.

Now it does leave some important details out. Below are four "values" that most people in the West view as essential:

- freedom of speech (this includes the right to criticize any religion)

- equality for all people (this includes women, gays, and Jews)

- secular government (this means no Sharia)

- freedom of religion (this means apostasy is not a crime)

Whether you consider yourself "moderate" or not, I'm curious to know your stance on these four values. Of course it could well be that you agree with some but not all!