Islamic Forum
NextElement

Giving Blood As A Muslim

My school is having a blood drive at our school tomorrow to benefit a children's hospital. I signed up to give blood, and I'm looking forward to being able to help others if they are in need of blood. However, what does Islam say about donating blood? Is it allowed?

Thanks!

PropellerAds

Yes, in Islam it is permissible to donate blood and receive blood, even to/from non-Muslims.

It is permissible to receive blood from the Blood Bank even if the donor was a kaafir. Likewise, it is also permissible to donate blood to non-Muslims as long as they are not fighters of Islam. A fighter of Islam would be defined as one who fights Muslims with weapons or finances such fighting with his wealth, or helps such fighting. If one is not able to know for sure, then it suffices to act according to ghalabat ul-zann (one's best estimate or what is most likely and probable).

Source: 
http://islamqa.info/en/239

Thanks, dot. There's no way to guarantee that the blood I give won't go those those fighting Islam, but I guess the benefit outweighs the risk.

Yes, in Islam it is permissible to donate blood and receive blood, even to/from non-Muslims.

How very noble.

Update: It went well! Spent more time filling out paperwork than actually donating blood, but didnt pass out or even feel like headed, alhamdulillah.

Update: It went well! Spent more time filling out paperwork than actually donating blood, but didnt pass out or even feel like headed, alhamdulillah.

Well done you for giving blood. By your action you could make the difference between life and death for some one. :) you get used to it, did you get a cup of tea and a biscuit? We used to in the UK but I did not get any last time :)

assalamo alykom,

it's urged in Islam from many many perspectives, in fact brother I see that as a part of the complete Ethics, neighbors' rights, helping the needy, reply back favours and co-operation on the basis of mutual benefits, ....

005.002  Y: O ye who believe!....... Help ye one another in righteousness and piety, but help ye not one another in sin and rancour: fear Allah: for Allah is strict in punishment.  

060.008  Y: Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just. 

004.036  Y: Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side (in trip, in a bus.... ), the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For Allah loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious;- 

004.086  Y: When a (courteous) greeting is offered you, meet it with a greeting still more courteous, or (at least) of equal courtesy. Allah takes careful account of all things

Allah knows best