Islamic Forum
AHMAD_73

Comparison Of The Reactions

I'm concerned about the differences in response, what could be the reasons?!

The very merciful responsive fast strong and active reaction (just within few hours) of both the west and east, which I highly appreciate, to the crime of kidnapping committed by the Boko-haram group.

on the contrary of this, we see the world just very lazy passive reaction to the crimes of killing slaughtering, genocide concurrently happens in Central Africa/Burma (happening every minute since 10 months/2 years) by the Christian/Buddi Militia against the Muslims.

Individuals/ celebrities/ media/governments/ UN and others........do you see a difference in there reactions? why?

for example we didn't see Mrs Obama having a board "stop killing my sisters/brothers in Central Africa/ Burma..

Note I didn't like to attach the photos showing the crimes, if you wonna know just type Central Africa kill on google

Untitled.jpg

PropellerAds

as salaam alaykum 

I totally agree with you. I have been one of the very few that have been following the CAR conflict from when it started. Such a similar situation it is to what happened with Syria yet there was absolutely no media coverage on it until very recently. Also before the conflict it was a good example of where Christians and Muslims lived side by side with each other in peace. I was watching a documentary by vice news (a small alternative news organisation) in which people in both sides told that everything was peaceful between them before this conflict and now there is so much hate between them. It is very worrying what is happening there and especially now with the French troops. Unfortunately no Muslim country seems to intefere in cases like this by sending their troops but can you imagine if a muslim country sent their troops to CAR what the reactions would be?? Yet we are supposed to believe that the French will be impartial in this conflict. 

Also the Boko Haram thing is really annoying me because they are framing this group as an 'islamist group'. Lets just remember that this discourse is the discourse coming from the hegemon in the west not the Muslims! Most of the muslim world has condemned this group and reiterated that they are not Islamic but still the media in the west is referring to them as Islamists. And some news outlets pathetically note how they are not following Islam properly but still call them Islamists! Just drop Islam from them altogether if you really believe this. It is great if the Obamas are against these crimes, but so are many muslims and they are not given the platform to show their anger. It is obviously no wonder to us Muslims as we are all well aware that the main media companies in the world are under the control of a few corporations. 

Same double standard happening in Ukraine where the west clearly funds NGOs with western objectives but criticises any involvement of Russia and condemns people's rights to not want to be part of the west. Not that I am a fan for Russia either who has long been suppressing Muslims in Chechnya but at least they are not going around the world talking about human rights and how they love everyone. 

• Like 1

I wish people would stop referring to political, economic, military, etc, extremists as "The West". They are not western. They may live in the west but what they do has nothing to do with Western ideals. It is just lazy stereotyping.

I wish people would stop referring to political, economic, military, etc, extremists as "The West". They are not western. They may live in the west but what they do has nothing to do with Western ideals. It is just lazy stereotyping.

Just as these groups have nothing to do with Islam. It is just lazy stereotyping also.

I think it is Boko Haram who claim to be Islamists, and very loudly too. It is they who speak out and are happy to use the "western media" for their views. They may not represent the majority of muslims and they may well not be acting according to Islam. However, they themselves believe they are. No one has labeled them other than themselves.

Personally I think they are dangerous lunatics who should be stopped because they have no regard for humanity and certainly don't care a fig for Allah. So, who's going to stop them?

Yes I agree that Boko Haram claim to be Muslims who want to implement sharia law etc, but the west were the ones who started using this term Islamist/jihadists etc. You wouldn't have heard such terms in the past but they are part of the everyday discourse now in relation to such groups. This discourse is very much promoted by certain individuals in the west such as the neo conservatives, Samuel Huntington etc who divide the world into us vs them. Of course Boko Haram are happy to use the western media, any terrorist group knows they need the media to get attention. Terrorists despite us wanting to believe that they are lunatics, are actually very rational people. Most leaders of terrorist groups are educated to university level and have had a good economic background. They know how to use and abuse the resources of the state in order to achieve their aims such as the media. 

My point is not that Boko Haram do not term themselves in relation to Islam but that certain power structures are also using these terms. And if you ask the politicians such as Obama does he think they are following Islam he will say no but he is quite happy to continue on with the Islamist/jihadist discourse. I have a big problem with people who use terms such as Islamic terrorist groups. This is a term put on muslims not created by muslims. It carries with it all sets of assumptions.

as salaam alaykum 

. Unfortunately no Muslim country seems to intefere in cases like this by sending their troops but can you imagine if a muslim country sent their troops to CAR what the reactions would be?? . 

I believe you raised a very good point, although it seems impossible to me, neither the Muslem world in a status to do so nor the UN will allow so. As I can remember that the Islamic countries led by Saudia offered to send troops and afford any other non-muslem troops to stop the genocide  of Muslems by the Orthodox Christian in Bosnia 1992-1995,  while the UN and its Orthodox Christian secretary "Putros Ghally" didn't accept at the time, why?! 

I'm sure the UN will have the same response while the Muslem world is busy with his own problems, Egypt and their military, Saudi supporting the Egyptian military and trying to pull out of Syria, Sudan the left half and economic problems,....... I believe that the one who choose this time to genocide and wipe out the Muslims from CA is very intelligent person/Agency

as salaam alaykum 

Also the Boko Haram thing is really annoying me because they are framing this group as an 'islamist group'. Lets just remember that this discourse is the discourse coming from the hegemon in the west not the Muslims! Most of the muslim world has condemned this group and reiterated that they are not Islamic but still the media in the west is referring to them as Islamists. And some news outlets pathetically note how they are not following Islam properly but still call them Islamists! Just drop Islam from them altogether if you really believe this. It is great if the Obamas are against these crimes, but so are many muslims and they are not given the platform to show their anger. It is obviously no wonder to us Muslims as we are all well aware that the main media companies in the world are under the control of a few corporations. 

I don't know a lot about the history of this group, while any way they have the right to believe what ever they like "peacefully" . if they oppose the western culture/education/mode of life, there should be no problem so far. if they began to talk or spread their point of view "peacefully", may be ok also. As I can know there are groups in the west have exactly the same ideology, they hate and escape from the new western life style, while the others just deal fair to them. now, what if the "mostly christian" government acted aggressively?!! and they reacted the same?!! how to stop that?!

now, all what I see in the 'media' about them is a kind of barbaric oppression from the Nigerian military to them (I shared a video before), and the attacks against the Christians, that the government claims they did it. which is not enough to have a clear picture...

I don't justify any of both sides points of view, I just tell we should have the "authentic" real situation from an "authentic" source. I believe the Muslem countries should send a good muslem delegation, scholars, politicians, psychiatrists and experts in this area cultures. talk to them and hear, hear, hear from them to show the their point of view. I believe it's not fair to hear about them throuth the governmental media point of view only. Because I believe also the bad boys will use this indecent to genocide many innocent Muslems in Nigeria just like C.A, ware against Islam I mean terrorism will be the magic word.

But again, what if this delegation accused the Nigerian military by causing all of this reactions by  their barbaric oppression and killing of the civilians with cold blood in the streets, what will be the situation, then?!!

may Allah remove any kind of oppression from any oppressed human on this earth, and revenge from the oppressor and their supporters .....amen

brother i am not a fan of conspiracy theories and the like. Surely they have genuine political goals, as most organisations such as them do. And when there is no space in the political landscape such groups often use violence. I don't believe in any way they are helping Islam or acting Islamically. Yes the media is portraying them in a certain frame but there is no getting away from what they did. The videos they released were not edited. We must be against oppression no matter where it comes from. You are right to raise concerns about media coverage, I agree, just don't let it cover the truth completely. 

Sister, I didn't give final answers because I don't have the full infos, all what I propose was having authentic information from an authentic source. A good Muslim and Human right activists delegation, scholars, politicians, psychiatrists and experts in this area cultures to hear their point of view and try to rectify it. I believe any other solution will be more bloody, then let's keep it as a second resort.

I believe the Western governments/UN/ western Media brake down their authenticity, for many Muslims, in the Iraqi problem/ Burma genocide/ Central Africa Genocide.....and a lot of older cases.

This discourse is very much promoted by certain individuals in the west who divide the world into us vs them.

I'm pleased to hear that you don't subscribe to the "Ummah v Kafir" division.

I have a big problem with people who use terms such as Islamic terrorist groups

What term would you suggest to describe terrorist groups whose recognisable quality, usually self proclaimed, is Islam?

"Protestant" and "Catholic" descriptions served perfectly well in N. Ireland. "Anarchist", "Marxist" and "Maoist" have be usefully applied to terrorist organisations in both Europe and South America. I'm sure that the majority of Basques didn't complain about ETA being labelled "Basque Terrorists", whether they supported of opposed their actions. Others who share that identification may disagree with their actions but the label remains appropriate. Hearty and unequivocal condemnation of acts against non-combatants is the only acceptable response.

To be fair, if a terror group describes itself as "Islamic" and as engaging in "Jihad" as well as quoting the Quran to justify specific actions what, in all seriousness, are we supposed to call them?

Because the term Islamic terrorists implies that there is something Islamic about what they are doing but many Muslims would not agree that what they are doing is Islamic. Plus as I say it is a term put on us by the hegemon. I have the same view about the northern ireland conflict - where catholic/republican, protestant/loyalist was used interchangeably when clearly not all catholics were or are republicans. It is just a way to simplify the conflict. Why not just call them terrorists? When Anders Breivik killed people and subscribed to his ideology he was called mostly a mass murderer. The word terrorist wasn't used by many news outlets for him. Although there is no agreed definition of terrorism, many would agree that it is the use of violence for a political goal. Breivik definitely had political goals.

It is much harder for you to understand because not only are we trying to fight people who are tarnishing Islam but we are also fighting outside forces who try to tarnish our religion. I think if you were a muslim you would understand a lot more how people have prejudices and instant stereotypes about you. And by the way I am not blaming all of the media, some media really try to be objective and independent but there are clearly other media which have a particular point of view.