Islamic Forum
Spiritlead

The Injil - Im Confused ?

Blessings and Peace to all.

Im confused about the Injil. From what I can tell from the Quaran it says it is truth from God but some Muslims say it has been corrupted. How can both be true ?

PropellerAds

The original Gospel written was authentic but men had later deliberately distorted and changed it.

The other explanation is injil means "Gospel" i.e. the good news. The Gospel Jesus preached orally was authentic but men that had written the Gospel had deliberately changed what Jesus had preached.

Ask a Muslim how, where and when and you'll find some interesting conjectures they may present...

Edited by Gods Servant

The original Gospel written was authentic but men had later deliberately distorted and changed it.

The other explanation is injil means "Gospel" i.e. the good news. The Gospel Jesus preached orally was authentic but men that had written the Gospel had deliberately changed what Jesus had preached.

Ask a Muslim how, where and when and you'll find some interesting conjectures they may present...

Thank you Gods servant for your reply.

Im pretty sure the Quran says the Injil is an authentic word from God though. So does that mean it would have been changed by men after the 7th Century when Mohammad received his revelations ?  

No the corruption must have happened before the revelation of the Quran because we have manuscripts predating the birth of Muhammad's that are consistent with modern bibles.

Thank you Gods servant for your reply.

Im pretty sure the Quran says the Injil is an authentic word from God though. So does that mean it would have been changed by men after the 7th Century when Mohammad received his revelations ?  

I understand where you're coming from. The Quran does confirm the Gospel. Muhammad as a prophet would have had the obligation to mention the corruption straight after the confession of the Gospel so that the people would not be led astray by scandal. He fails to do so...

Muslims have a real problem. They can shout out loud as many times as they want about the Gospel being corrupted but can never present any real evidence.

God bless.

There is no reference to the Bible in the Quran whatsoever. The Quran mentions the Taurat and the Injil .

The Taurat is the book given to prophet Moses. This the equivalent of the Torah/Pentateuch of the Jews and Christians, since much of it was not written by prophet Moses. And the Taurat is definitely not the Old Testament since the OT includes dozens of books attributed to other prophets before Jesus.

• TORAH - "We gave Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of messengers," (Sura 2:87).
  • The Taurah of today,tells us " and moses died when..."
  • PSALMS
    - "We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms," (4:163).

The Psalms of today, there many Prayers from people who are not David! That proves the Psalms of today are corrupt since they have words of other men.

The Injil is translated as the Gospel revealed to prophet Jesus. The Gospel given to Jesus, NOT Matthew, Luke or John.

It is not that the Christians have changed the original, but rather they have the wrong book, altogether.

"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the Taurah and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper. (The Noble Quran, 7:157)"

"It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment be tween right and wrong). (The Noble Quran, 3:3)"

"To thee We sent the Scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it,
and guarding it in safety: so judge between them by what God hath revealed, and follow not their vain desires, diverging from the Truth that hath come to thee. To each among you have we prescribed a law and an open way. If God had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to God; it is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which ye dispute
; (The Noble Quran, 5:48)"

"That which We have revealed to thee of the Book is the Truth,- confirming what was (revealed) before it: for God is assuredly- with respect to His Servants - well acquainted and Fully Observant. (The Noble Quran, 35:31)"

• Like 1

It is not that the Christians have changed the original, but rather they have the wrong book, altogether.

Where do you suppose the "right" book is then? As Jesus never was given a book, he was in fact The book. There is zero evidence of any injil as you believe it to be, that is a book given to Jesus. Yet a wealth of evidence to support the Gospels we do have. In the absence of any such evidence it makes sense to be to go with what we have not what never existed.

There is no reference to the Bible in the Quran whatsoever. The Quran mentions the Taurat and the Injil .

The Taurat is the book given to prophet Moses. This the equivalent of the Torah/Pentateuch of the Jews and Christians, since much of it was not written by prophet Moses. And the Taurat is definitely not the Old Testament since the OT includes dozens of books attributed to other prophets before Jesus.

• TORAH - "We gave Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of messengers," (Sura 2:87).
  • The Taurah of today,tells us " and moses died when..."
  • PSALMS

- "We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms," (4:163).

The Psalms of today, there many Prayers from people who are not David! That proves the Psalms of today are corrupt since they have words of other men.

The Injil is translated as the Gospel revealed to prophet Jesus. The Gospel given to Jesus, NOT Matthew, Luke or John.

"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the Taurah and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper. (The Noble Quran, 7:157)"

"It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment be tween right and wrong). (The Noble Quran, 3:3)"

"To thee We sent the Scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it,

and guarding it in safety: so judge between them by what God hath revealed, and follow not their vain desires, diverging from the Truth that hath come to thee. To each among you have we prescribed a law and an open way. If God had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to God; it is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which ye dispute; (The Noble Quran, 5:48)"

"That which We have revealed to thee of the Book is the Truth,- confirming what was (revealed) before it: for God is assuredly- with respect to His Servants - well acquainted and Fully Observant. (The Noble Quran, 35:31)"

Hello Absolute Truth

Thank you for your reply and the references from the Quran.

You say the Quran mentions the Taurat and the Injil. It appears these are just Arabic words for the Torah/Pentateuch (the first 5 Books of the Old Testament Bible) and the Injil as meaning Gospels which has the same meaning for Christians.  So we appear to be agreeing. And Yes I agree the Taurat (Torah) is not the whole Old Testament – just the first 5 books.

You say in the Psalms of today there many prayers from people who are not David, which proves the Psalms of today are corrupt since they have words of other men. The Old Testament as we have it today was in existence long before Mohammad, and it is quite clear that the Psalms are just more than the prayers of David.

So if the Old Testament as we have it today was in existence long before Mohamed received Sura 4:163 why does this prove corruption? If any thing it proves Mohammad did not know what the Old Testament was.

Can you explain?

You say Christians have the wrong book altogether. However, the Christian world was in existence for 6 centuries before Mohammad. And the four gospels of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were well accepted right across the Christian world also for centuries before Mohammad was born. Plus there are no records of any other gospel.

So that has to mean the gospel Mohammad is referring to is the Injil of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John.

In the absence of any real proof of the claims muslims make about biblical corruption we have to go with what we have. What we have proves that the Torah and the Gospels (Injil) was unchanged from what we have today in the time of Mohammed. The Quran claims it confirms the previous scriptures, I believe it says something along the lines of "between your hands" implying that it was the actually scriptures in the hands of those alive at that time. The Quran agrees with the Bible that the words of God cannot be changed, it also agrees that the previous scriptures were from God. Besides which I believe it's a relative recent argument of the Bible being corrupted, middle ages, I think. when some muslim realised the quran did not confirm the previous scriptures but was in fact diametrically opposed to it. So obviously both can't be right, this plunging generations of muslims into a hopeless cause of proving the Bible is corrupted. Impossible task without any proof.

Case closed ;)

A simple Google search will not only show many contradictions in the Bible, but history tells us the specific instances corrupt leaders have changed the Bible for their own gain. The fact that there are different versions of the Bible where some are longer than others because some Bible's simply don't have information that other Bible's do should prove they are not original. May God's curse be on those that changed the message of guide. May God guide us all to the right path

A simple Google search will not only show many contradictions in the Bible, but history tells us the specific instances corrupt leaders have changed the Bible for their own gain. The fact that there are different versions of the Bible where some are longer than others because some Bible's simply don't have information that other Bible's do should prove they are not original. May God's curse be on those that changed the message of guide. May God guide us all to the right path

Blessings

Similarly a google search will reveal the high degree of reliability and validity the New Testament has. You should back your claims this up with some facts.

Which corrupt leaders changed the Bible? When was it corrupted? Why was it corrupted and how?

Yes there are all different versions of the New testament that are all saying the same thing. But if you are really concerned that differences exist all you need to do is read it in the original language of Greek. Most Christian leaders have been trained in Greek and Hebrew so as to read the Taurat and Injeel in their original languages.

Blessings

Similarly a google search will reveal the high degree of reliability and validity the New Testament has. You should back your claims this up with some facts.

Which corrupt leaders changed the Bible? When was it corrupted? Why was it corrupted and how?

Yes there are all different versions of the New testament that are all saying the same thing. But if you are really concerned that differences exist all you need to do is read it in the original language of Greek. Most Christian leaders have been trained in Greek and Hebrew so as to read the Taurat and Injeel in their original languages.

Muslims believe in the original unaltered version of the Bible. Even today we are not allowed to deny anything in the Bible unless it is specifically contradicted in the Quran because we simply do not know. Saying there is an original Bible out there is fine, although I still doubt it, because I do not speak Greek or Hebrew and cannot confirm this, but are you reading and following that version. The Bible asks women to dress modestly and cover up otherwise she should shave her head, asks people to refrain from alcohol, and it tells people of the coming of the Prohphet Mohammed (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) the same way the Torah spoke of the coming of Jesus. Our religions are the same, we believe in the same God and the same message. The issue is that The version we are reading today are not accurate, again, proven by the fact that some Bibles are simply missing information that other Bible's have. Muslim is a name that you may not want to associate with, but all it means is one that submits his will to Allah (the Arabic word for God, Christians in Arabic speaking countries use the same word) We believe that a pure Christian is one that submits to the will of Allah.

One example (if I remember correctly off the top of my head) is Constantine. He was a pagan ruler that accepted Christianity, but he wanted everyone to follow his version as there were more than one at the time. He forced all Christians to conform to his version of Christianity, which included beliefs such as the trinity, because it aligned closely with his pagan beliefs. The correct version of Christianity was phased out, may God curse those that used Christianity for their own personal gains. This is where celebrations such as Christmas came from. Also during the time the Church was in power evil dictators corrupted it for their own gain, may Allah curse them.

I don't mean to argue with you, we are all brothers, we believe in the same God. Society tries to tell us we are different, but Christians themselves differ greatly of their religion. I have met some that believe in the trinity, some that don't, some that are against alcohol, and some that believe it's okay in moderation. We shouldn't let these small differences come between us. We all believe in one God and believe in promoting good and doing away with evil.

God bless you, brother

Blessings to you too Kesabar.

I have come to the conclusion that respect for each other is true religion and far outweighs all arguments over doctrine. Ultimately it comes to the position of agreeing to disagree. However truth is still truth and ultimately only God knows it fully. It is still important in my view to shine light on what is known and what there is to agree to and disagree to. That said I would like to make the following replies to what you have said.Muslims and Islam seem confused as to what is the Injeel. As you can see you disagree with other Muslims on this posting.

Am I reading or following a Greek / Hebrew version of the Injeel. All English translations are based on the Greek and Hebrew. I don not speak Greek or Hebrew but for years I have used a Greek / English interlinear Bible and had on hand concordances and dictionaries to aid interpretation. This is common practice with most Christians I know.Most Christian leaders have been trained in Greek and Hebrew and in these days of the digital media it is easy to have Greek and Hebrew translations easily accessible along side the English or any language.

Kesabar , do you speak Classical Arabic? Because most Muslims don’t. As a result, Muslims are not able to access the Quran in its original language. This is more a problem for Muslims than it is for Christians due to Muslims seeing the Quran as the absolute and literal Word. If most Muslims cant understand the “Word” why would God limit himself to one language?

In terms of the Bible asking women to dress modestly, shave her head and asking people to refrain from alcohol it is important to understand how the Bible differs from the Quran. Unlike the Quran the Bible is very much influenced by the historical and cultural context in which it was written. This is not true for the Quran which is the as the absolute and literal Word of God.

You say the Quran tells people of the coming of Mohammed. I disagree. I do not believe the Bible mentions Mohammad. Are you able to quote the verses from the Bible where he is mentioned?

You say some Bibles are missing information that other Bible's have. I have many Bibles of many translations and I know the textual reliability of the Bible goes back centuries. Are you able to prove how some Bibles are missing information that other Bible's have?Muslims often say this is the case but have difficulty proving it.

Similar things can be said about the Quran and Hadith. There are no Qurans in existence before Uthman burnt all original copies so Muslims have no certainty the Quran they currently have was the original Word. Also your most reliable Hadith was compiled approximately 200 years after the eye witness statements. Compare this to the New Testament / Injeel which was written in the same generation as the eye witnesses.

Your understanding that a pure Christian is one that submits to the will of Allah is interesting. That is not how Christians see it however. Christian means “Christ -One “. Meaning someone who is One with Christ.

In regards to Constantine I presume you mean when he called for the Council of Nicea in 325 to adjudicate over Christological doctrinal matters.  What is important to realize the Injeel / New testament we have today in the same Injeel / New testament that was in existence long before Constantine was even born. So to say he changed any fundamental doctrine of Christianity is not based in historical fact.

You mention evil dictators that corrupted the Bible for their own gain. Which evil dictators are you talking about? If you make these statements you need to back them up with fact.

In terms of Christians themselves differ greatly of their religion the way I see it is Muslims are differing greatly in their religion. Look at the current wars and difficulties with Islam today.In regards to differences in doctrine and rules such as the Trinity and alcohol, this is the difference between Christianity and Islam. Islam is about following a formula of rules, doctrine and belief. Christianity is about a personal, individual relationship with God and being led by individual conscience – not a rule book.

I agree Keasabar. Differences need to be tolerated.

Blessings to you Kesabar.  

I disagree. I do not believe the Bible mentions Mohammad. Are you able to quote the verses from the Bible where he is mentioned?

Click here: You Have No Right to Translate Individuals’ Names!

You say some Bibles are missing information that other Bible's have. I have many Bibles of many translations and I know the textual reliability of the Bible goes back centuries. Are you able to prove how some Bibles are missing information that other Bible's have?Muslims often say this is the case but have difficulty proving it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon#Canons_of_various_Christian_traditions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_the_Christian_biblical_canon

Verses Deleted In Modern Bible Versions

source