Islamic Forum
kesaber

What Is An Intoxicant?

Very simple question. I would like to know the Islamic definition of what an intoxicant. If every intoxicant is prohibited in Islam, what are the guidelines of what an intoxicant is?

PropellerAds

Assalamo alaikum

The definition of intoxicant was mentioned in the book "شرح رياض الصالحين للشيخ محمد بن صالح العثيمين"

Its in Arabic,

الإسكار هو تغطية العقل على وجه اللذة والطرب ليس مجرد تغطية العقل، ولهذا البنج ليس مسكرا وإن كان يغطي العقل، والمبنج لا يدري ماذا حصل له، لكن الخمر ـ نسأل الله العافية ـ يجد الإنسان من السكر لذة وطربا ونشوى حتى يتصور أنه ملك من الملوك وأنه فوق الثريا وما أشبه ذلك.

Intoxicants are anything that takes away the mind into a state of joy and mirth. For example an anaesthetic is not an intoxicant, although it causes a temporary state consisting of unconsciousness, loss of memory, lack of pain, and muscle relaxation but not into a state of joy or mirth.

If that's the case is coffee an intoxicant? When I get "high" off of a cup of coffee (which I try not to do often) I feel I am in a state of euphoria and I forget about my worries. My sister and others have reported similar things to me. Additional there are certain foods that make me feel happy. I am actually currently on a banana diet (99% of my diet for a week is bananas; bananas are supposed to make you happy) and the second day I woke up I honestly felt high the whole day. Are bananas a halal intoxicant because Allah specifically said they are permissible? There are also many herbal drinks that would fall under the category of intoxication if joy is the only determinant of whether something is an intoxicant or not.

Does coffee or bananas take away your mind too? Do you lose control of your mind after consuming them?

Coffee doesn't get us high. It gets us fresh and alert that's all.

Anyone feels good after a satisfying and delicious meal, specially if we were hungry.

We feel nice and good after eating fruits, chocolates, and just about any delicious food out there.

Nothing of those of course are intoxicants, because none of them take our mind away.

An intoxicant must cause both effects as mentioned above, not just one of them.

You didn't mention that the first time; all you said was something that takes your mind into a state of joy. So let me understand what you're saying. In order for something to be considered an intoxicant it must make you feel joy AND make you lose control of your mind? Is that correct. Or is it one or the other? If something takes away from your mind but does not make you feel joy is it an intoxicant? Similarly if something makes you feel joy, but does not take away from your mind is it an intoxicant? I would like to confirm that you are saying BOTH must happen. Also is this the official Islamic definition? Unfortunately I do not read Arabic.

• Like 1

Yes brother, both. Sorry for not making this clear enough in the first post.
Sheikh Ibn Othaymeen is a highly respected scholar.
As for cigarettes, there are fatwas prohibiting smoking them, not because they are intoxicant, they are not. Its haram/unlawful because its harmful to one's health. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There should be no harming or reciprocating harm.”
You can read more here http://islamqa.info/en/10922

As salaam alaykum 

I would just like to add that Islam is a religion about balance and moderation. So living on a diet of bananas and coffee isn't moderation. Allah has created many food sources for us which contain important vitamins and minerals for our bodies to function correctly. Bananas are great but don't limit yourself to them. Just keep in mind that if something is not an intoxicant doesn't mean we should use it excessively.

As salaam alaykum 

I would just like to add that Islam is a religion about balance and moderation. So living on a diet of bananas and coffee isn't moderation. Allah has created many food sources for us which contain important vitamins and minerals for our bodies to function correctly. Bananas are great but don't limit yourself to them. Just keep in mind that if something is not an intoxicant doesn't mean we should use it excessively.

It was just a week long diet. Not only bananas, but mainly. I don't think anyone could live off of bananas and coffee

How if the intoxicants are taken for the purpose of medicine.

Very simple question. I would like to know the Islamic definition of what an intoxicant. If every intoxicant is prohibited in Islam, what are the guidelines of what an intoxicant is?

If it wasn't medicinal pretty much all prescription drugs wouldn't be permissible