Islamic Forum
ParadiseLost

What Has Happened To The Forum?

As salaam alaykum 

What has happened to the forum in the sense that it has been so quiet for a long time? I know people have their own lives and I too myself have been absent for long periods but I like this forum compared to others out there. 

I wonder are people actually coming to the forum and just not posting (the lurkers) or is it a case that forums are not popular anymore? There is a wealth of information on this forum, its sad to think that its not being used when it could be fixed by promoting the website more.

Whatever the reason I would like for the forum to become active again, I enjoy posting here. I personally don't use social media, but wouldn't it be a good way to promote the website, brother dot? Or maybe some of the members could promote it also just to get it a bit active again. 

Anyone else have any suggestions?

• Like 2

PropellerAds

Just a lurker and observer. Safer, that way i wont get banned. :yes:

As salaam alaykum 

What has happened to the forum in the sense that it has been so quiet for a long time? I know people have their own lives and I too myself have been absent for long periods but I like this forum compared to others out there. 

I wonder are people actually coming to the forum and just not posting (the lurkers) or is it a case that forums are not popular anymore? There is a wealth of information on this forum, its sad to think that its not being used when it could be fixed by promoting the website more.

Whatever the reason I would like for the forum to become active again, I enjoy posting here. I personally don't use social media, but wouldn't it be a good way to promote the website, brother dot? Or maybe some of the members could promote it also just to get it a bit active again. 

Assalamo alaikum

I very much appreciate your sincere feelings towards our forum. I wish everyone were here, active like the old days. I try my best to keep the forum up and running, and insha'Allah will do so as long as Allah Al Mighty allows me. I don't think that our problem is a lack of promoting the forum, because we are still blessed with the first ranking in Google search for the term "Islamic forum", meaning that anyone in the world searching for or interested in an Islamic forum will find us in the first line of search results, but I share your wondering about the lack or member activity. I understand that people move on in their own life and that as time goes by, people get occupied with more responsibilities and interests. I think that new blood, new members are what this forum needs. Currently Google is our main source for new members. The statistics show that guests are in average 20 times the number of active members most of the time around the clock (for example 5 members and 100 guests). What keeps people from registering is beyond me, although I can guess that perhaps forums have lost its attraction to social media, or perhaps the progressive speed life goes by causes people to become more comfortable lurking and browsing without the hassle of typing and engaging in mindful discussions?

I can try to get some old members by contacting them. I tried this several times in the past. It usually works for a few days, during which some of them visit us again and post once or twice, then disappear again. And I don't feel its proper to disturb them with frequent emails, so I restrict my contacting them to once every 2 years or so, otherwise people might block our emails. But if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate them.

Lol brother! You made 2420 posts so far, and still not feeling safe enough around here?

• Like 2

wa alaykum as salaam 

dot I don't use social media personally as I was saying but I have done some research projects in the past using Twitter for data analytics and basically a lot of businesses are using data analytics now as a marketing tool to increase their audience. If gawaher doesn't have a facebook/twitter account perhaps you could set one up. You would use both to promote the website. For example on Twitter you would figure out which hashtags are popular and purposely use them to get noticed there. Like if you feel there is particular topic/post of importance you could post the link there along with popular hashtags like #Islam. When someone searches the word Islam on twitter your post would show up. Not very familiar with facebook myself so maybe others can give advice on how to get noticed there.

There are many websites that also help you identify the data analytics of your own website. I suppose you probably use one. Like which words are the most popularly searched on the forum, from which country are the users coming from mostly..when you get your data you use it in a way that increases your audience count.

Also I noticed that if you enter the website as a guest (or not signed in) the most recent topics don't appear on top and the sidebar of most viewed topics in the last 30 days doesn't appear. I think you should make them appear because it may entice guests to read the popular topics more and sign up to get involved. For guests coming to the forum for the first time, the amount of forums to choose from can be overwhelming which is why I think the popular topics would be useful for them. 

I hope others offer suggestions too!

• Like 1

Brother I saw your old post about warning points. Perhaps you can discuss with dot in private about that because sometimes we presume a lot of things and then when we talk we realise things weren't what we thought. Even I don't agree with dot on some things but don't take it personal. All the Muslims here have their differences and come from different backgrounds with different ideas but our main goal should be the promotion of Islamic knowledge :) 

I hope that you would get involved in discussions more, I have come across some of your posts from the past and it seems like you have a lot of knowledge to share. 

• Like 1

Assalamo alaikum

I very much appreciate your sincere feelings towards our forum. I wish everyone were here, active like the old days. I try my best to keep the forum up and running, and insha'Allah will do so as long as Allah Al Mighty allows me. I don't think that our problem is a lack of promoting the forum, because we are still blessed with the first ranking in Google search for the term "Islamic forum", meaning that anyone in the world searching for or interested in an Islamic forum will find us in the first line of search results, but I share your wondering about the lack or member activity. I understand that people move on in their own life and that as time goes by, people get occupied with more responsibilities and interests. I think that new blood, new members are what this forum needs. Currently Google is our main source for new members. The statistics show that guests are in average 20 times the number of active members most of the time around the clock (for example 5 members and 100 guests). What keeps people from registering is beyond me, although I can guess that perhaps forums have lost its attraction to social media, or perhaps the progressive speed life goes by causes people to become more comfortable lurking and browsing without the hassle of typing and engaging in mindful discussions?

I can try to get some old members by contacting them. I tried this several times in the past. It usually works for a few days, during which some of them visit us again and post once or twice, then disappear again. And I don't feel its proper to disturb them with frequent emails, so I restrict my contacting them to once every 2 years or so, otherwise people might block our emails. But if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate them.

Lol brother! You made 2420 posts so far, and still not feeling safe enough around here?

Bro Dot its not like that  :D  Basically I like this forum, but I dont get time anymore to do more posts. The spare time goes on social media and well life is very very busy and demanding. When I was younger I had alot of time for forums but now its difficult to sit on a computer for other then work.

I think another issue is in recent years, mobile technology has taken over in the social media area as well and so people converse alot more on those platforms.If you can get your forum somehow converted so it is easy to use n mobile technology this may actually get it even more active. There is an app i thnk called TapTalk that does this for example. However it depends on the design build of your forum.. :) Biut you would get alot of small pointless talk as well.

Perhaps you should promote your page on social media inshAllah? I have quite an active page I am and can show you it if you like

Edited by Arsalan

Brother I saw your old post about warning points. Perhaps you can discuss with dot in private about that because sometimes we presume a lot of things and then when we talk we realise things weren't what we thought. Even I don't agree with dot on some things but don't take it personal. All the Muslims here have their differences and come from different backgrounds with different ideas but our main goal should be the promotion of Islamic knowledge :)

I hope that you would get involved in discussions more, I have come across some of your posts from the past and it seems like you have a lot of knowledge to share. 

Totally agree on the promotion of Islamic knowledge point.

Its quite effective on forums . Its even more important now to promote the

correct image of Islam theoretically at least. And secondly to get muslims practicing

the true spirit of our faith. In the current harsh environment for muslins,

mass media communications even at the level of discussion forums can have a

positive effect on dawah.

Personally I would be the first to admit that my sense of

humour does get me in a lot of trouble and strong opinions or a rash attitude

does get me in trouble!! But that’s life! J

I wouldn’t say I have knowledge ( no way! ). I would say I have ideas and

thoughts I like to share as does anyone and alhamdoulillah if there some

knowledge in there then that is a blessing.

It would be inshAlah good to get involved more, but my life is so hectic ( no joke)!

• Like 1

Assalamo alaikum

I can try to get some old members by contacting them. I tried this several times in the past. It usually works for a few days, during which some of them visit us again and post once or twice, then disappear again. And I don't feel its proper to disturb them with frequent emails, so I restrict my contacting them to once every 2 years or so,otherwise people might block our emails. But if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate them.

I agree with the point in particular regarding long MINDFUL

DISCUSSIONS, many peoples attention span and patience to learn and engage has

wilted with the onset of mobile technology and small chit chat on social media.

The hashtag generation I call it.

Why type long paragraphs and try and challenge yourself and

others in THOUGHTFUL AND INTELLECTUAL DISCUSSIONS as can be often found in

internet forums,  when you can go on

youtube and passively watch another video about Islam and atheism. Your right it’s

the lure of social media.

• Like 2

Salaam Alaykum,

On my part, its a lack of time. Right now we need to be more active in the real world helping, than on the net.

thats not to say there is not any benefit posting on this, for sure there is, but i feel we are moving away from forums.

^^Insightful discussion can lead to more activity/involvement in the real world.

• Like 1

Salaam Alaykum,

On my part, its a lack of time. Right now we need to be more active in the real world helping, than on the net.

thats not to say there is not any benefit posting on this, for sure there is, but i feel we are moving away from forums.

wa alaykum as salaam 

surely it is true that our help in the real world is important. So many things are happening around us that we need to be involved in. Totally agree. Yet also on the other hand it seems more than ever younger generations live their life online. It is where they get all their news and information from. It is important that we have people in the 'real' world to help them but also that we help them online if we can..

• Like 1

As salaam alaykum 

Assalamualikum Rahamatullahi Wabarakathahu

You are correct ,bro paradise (i will never want my paradise to get lost!)

i think this what has happened to all the religious forum everywhere .

seems religious forums are no longer have the charm as they did before

one reason may be new inventions like FB,twitter,whatsup ....

regards

Assalamo alaikum

.......... Currently Google is our main source for new members. The statistics show that guests are in average 20 times the number of active members most of the time around the clock (for example 5 members and 100 guests). What keeps people from registering is beyond me, although I can guess that perhaps forums have lost its attraction to social media, or perhaps the progressive speed life goes by causes people to become more comfortable lurking and browsing without the hassle of typing and engaging in mindful discussions?

Alhamdulilah bro Dot

Congratulations for maintaining IF as number one on google

but ,i notice one thing now which was not happening in the past

i think there are more guest now than we used to have in the past

Assalamualikum Rahamatullahi Wabarakathahu

You are correct ,bro paradise (i will never want my paradise to get lost!)

i think this what has happened to all the religious forum everywhere .

seems religious forums are no longer have the charm as they did before

one reason may be new inventions like FB,twitter,whatsup ....

regards

wa alaykum as saalam 

I would just like to make it clear I am definitely not a bro  :D

___

I also had a thought that probably lets say 10 years ago, forums like this were more original but now with so many apps and so many other social media that people have on their phones, the internet has a whole is changing. I suppose in a way everything loses its novelty as new ways of communicating come along but I still enjoy this forum :)

• Like 2

wa alaykum as saalam 

___

I also had a thought that probably lets say 10 years ago, forums like this were more original but now with so many apps and so many other social media that people have on their phones, the internet has a whole is changing. I suppose in a way everything loses its novelty as new ways of communicating come along but I still enjoy this forum :)

Don't people look at the gender part under the username- thought that was a giveaway to your sex.

W/Assalam

Yes sister, I have noticed the same. It's interesting to note that some users as early as 2012 said that the forum was "dead", in the sense that people scarcely like to post in any of the sub-forums other than the main, bustling ones. Perhaps we simply need to get the word out more. As brother Dot said, it is true that gawaher is the first result when one searches for "Islamic forum", but I've noted that gawaher is nowhere to be seen in the top search results if for example, one searches a simple question such as "Punishment for Riba in Islam".

I think most people, when facing an issue, don't search for an Islamic forum, but rather are prone to search their question directly in their search engine. This is why it would be beneficial to somehow integrate some of our basic threads that address questions such as these to the relevant searches. Now, I wouldn't know how to do that, but it's just a thought. One mainly sees results from other forum sites when searching for questions such as these.

Peace.

• Like 1

Assalamu'alaikum Wr.Wb.

It's good to be posting again here.

I am an old member. Yes, it's true what Bro Dot said. Things change and people move on with their own life. I, too, rarely visit this forum, maybe once in three or four months or even more, just when I remembered it and mainly just to check if this site still exists :( or when I got nostalgic, wondering about the old members that I used to discuss and debate things with, wondering if they still visited this forum, members like Russ of Vespucia, Wise Guy, Livius and the guy that keeps changing his name in the political forum and always used a space before or after a period and comma :)

I still quite remember them all to this day. Strangely enough, all those forum members held a place in my heart, and hope that life's treating them good.

Regarding this site, it has changed a lot from several years ago. Frankly speaking, I missed the old design and colour of Gawaher. The current one seems dull and pale in my eyes, sorry :(  Many of its features have changed too. Now it seems you cannot see members who are online. I used to be able to view that.

I wish best of luck with this Forum. Hope more people will come here to discuss and learn more about Islam.

Wassalam

Yasnov

wa alaykum as saalam 

___

lol

sorry, i never use to see the gender of anyone before answering

again sorry for delaaaaaayeeed apology

i think i am not getting intimation for my replays

Assalamu'alaikum Wr.Wb.

It's good to be posting again here.

I am an old member. Yes, it's true what Bro Dot said. Things change and people move on with their own life. I, too, rarely visit this forum, maybe once in three or four months or even more, just when I remembered it and mainly just to check if this site still exists :( or when I got nostalgic, wondering about the old members that I used to discuss and debate things with, wondering if they still visited this forum, members like Russ of Vespucia, Wise Guy, Livius and the guy that keeps changing his name in the political forum and always used a space before or after a period and comma :)

I still quite remember them all to this day. Strangely enough, all those forum members held a place in my heart, and hope that life's treating them good.

Regarding this site, it has changed a lot from several years ago. Frankly speaking, I missed the old design and colour of Gawaher. The current one seems dull and pale in my eyes, sorry :(  Many of its features have changed too. Now it seems you cannot see members who are online. I used to be able to view that.

I wish best of luck with this Forum. Hope more people will come here to discuss and learn more about Islam.

Wassalam

Yasnov

Well I came here to learn more about Islam, and frankly, I find it (Islam) and the attitude of some of the posters here very worrisome.

Olaf.

Well I came here to learn more about Islam, and frankly, I find it (Islam) and the attitude of some of the posters here very worrisome.

Olaf.

I'm sorry that you feel so. We always try to be friendly with non Muslims. let us know if we can assist you any way we can.

Olaf.

it is definitely wrong

BTW did you read my article

Nothing Created Everything .....a Question To Atheists

read it i am expecting your comments

regards

Mushtaq