Islamic Forum
Gods Servant

The Jewish Temple

What is the Muslim opinion/attitude of the temple built by King Solomon that Jews and Christians believe to be God's dwelling place during that era?

PropellerAds

Hello,

I haven't read an Islamic text which explicitly states that, but there is no reason to deny that it took place.

If you personally believe there were sacrifices going on at that time, would you consider them illicit?

If you personally believe there were sacrifices going on at that time, would you consider them illicit?

I don't have any reason to consider sacrifices offered to God illicit. However, if I am not mistaken, the Hebrew Bible and Jewish history records that sacrifices to false gods took place in the Temple.

That is incorrect Younes , the sacrifices the Jews offered on the Temple Mount ,were offered to ONLY to The God of Abraham .There is nothing in the historical record or the Hebrew Bible that indicates the Jews worshipped any other gods on the Temple Mount . Maybe you're thinking of the Romans or the Babylonians after the 1st and 2nd  Destruction of the Temple . Or perhaps the worshipping of the Golden Calf in the desert by a portion of the Hebrews, after Moses led them out of Egypt , but never on the Temple Mount .

Edited by Aligarr

I don't have any reason to consider sacrifices offered to God illicit. However, if I am not mistaken, the Hebrew Bible and Jewish history records that sacrifices to false gods took place in the Temple.

Thanks for answering and yes sacrifices were offered to false god's but not by Jews. They were offered by pagans. This was clearly condemned in the Hebrew bible.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is for example the book of Leviticus gives specific instructions regarding offering authentic sacrifices. Some of these were sin offerings. The sinner would place his hands on the animal's head thereby symbolically transferring his sons to the animal and the animal was sacrificed. How do Muslims reconcile this in accordance with their faith?

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is for example the book of Leviticus gives specific instructions regarding offering authentic sacrifices. Some of these were sin offerings. The sinner would place his hands on the animal's head thereby symbolically transferring his sons to the animal and the animal was sacrificed. How do Muslims reconcile this in accordance with their faith?

I don't think the concept of sacrifice presented in Leviticus and Judaism is the same as it is in Christianity. Nor do I think the sacrifices in Leviticus foreshadow the atonement of Christ as per Christian thought. Thus, there is nothing to really reconcile because I don't look at it from a Christian point of view.  

That is incorrect Younes , the sacrifices the Jews offered on the Temple Mount ,were offered to ONLY to The God of Abraham .There is nothing in the historical record or the Hebrew Bible that indicates the Jews worshipped any other gods on the Temple Mount . Maybe you're thinking of the Romans or the Babylonians after the 1st and 2nd  Destruction of the Temple . Or perhaps the worshipping of the Golden Calf in the desert by a portion of the Hebrews, after Moses led them out of Egypt , but never on the Temple Mount .

No, idolatry was introduced in the Temple:

"'The people of Judah have done evil in my eyes, declares the LORD. They have set up their detestable idols in the house that bears my Name and have defiled it

He built altars in the house of the LORD, of which the LORD had said, "In Jerusalem I will put My name." 5For he built altars for all the host of heaven in the two courts of the house of the LORD. 6He made his son pass through the fire, practiced witchcraft and used divination, and dealt with mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the sight of the LORD provoking Him to anger.…

I don't think the concept of sacrifice presented in Leviticus and Judaism is the same as it is in Christianity. Nor do I think the sacrifices in Leviticus foreshadow the atonement of Christ as per Christian thought. Thus, there is nothing to really reconcile because I don't look at it from a Christian point of view.  

The animal is the substitute of the sinner. The animal pays the debt of the sinner by its death. I understand Islam is strongly against substitution.

Wrong again  ,Younes  but I will not argue tenets of Christianity and/or  Judaism with a Muslim , simply because you have been taught and instructed  that their Books have been corrupted , and that they all are wrong and only Muslims are right . So , it would be like spitting in the wind to argue with you . I simply pointed out a FACT , that idols were never worshipped on the Temple Mount by Jews .

Go ask God's Servant , he may be able to discuss where you are in error . I know the verses of scripture that you have A)purposely taken out of context , B) you have  not really read in a Bible  in their full context ,and C) purposely misconstrued to serve the purpose of refuting .

I do not practice any religion but I have thoroughly read and studied the Books of Jews Christians and Muslims , as well as several others . I know what is written in their Holy Books , and understand the contexts in which they were written , so when you bring up an obvious error , as you have with Jews  practicing idol worship on the Temple Mount , I know that you did not find that in their Book , therefore I take exception and correct you .

Go ask God's Servant , he may be able to discuss where you are in error .

Sorry brother Aligarr but with all rest respect I’m going to

have to agree with Younes and retract my post 8. Younes quoted Jeremiah 7:30. I

read a commentary which pointed out that Jeremiah was talking about King

Manasseh.

“And the carved image of

the idol that he had made he set in the house of God, of which God said to

David and to Solomon his son, “In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have

chosen out of all the tribes of israel, I will put my name forever…Manasseh led

Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem astray, to do more evil than the nations

whom the LORD destroyed before the people of israel.” – 2 Chronicles

33:7 & 9

My error God's Servant I should have qualified my statements referring to the Yom Kippur Sacrifices which originated in the Desert Tent and continued throughout the First and Second Temple Periods , interrupted by the Babylonian captivity . There were in fact Kings of israel who had Idols placed on the Temple Mount and in the House of God for various reasons and burnt incense offerings were made , Solomon on a mount East of Jerusalem for burnt incense offerings to satisfy his foreign wives . And several Kings including Manassah . My bad , however the Yom Kippur offerings by the High Priest , on Yom Kippur were to the Lord , God of Abraham only .

The animal is the substitute of the sinner. The animal pays the debt of the sinner by its death. I understand Islam is strongly against substitution.

Younes, I don't think you've responded to my post above?

Younes, I don't think you've responded to my post above?

You are right. No such concept exists in Islam.

Where is the line drawn in Islam? Was there a temple but no sacrifices to be carried out in the temple?

Where is the line drawn in Islam? Was there a temple but no sacrifices to be carried out in the temple?