Islamic Forum
october

What Is Jizya

If you could have it your own way i would be forced to pay a tax just so as i could [at]live and then i would still have less rights than you, this of course unless you killed me as an infidel. All this is in the quran. This life would not be worth living.

PropellerAds

I doubt the christians who are forced to pay this tax find it laughable. Like those in ISIS terrotory who havent been murdered.

Why is it funny, it says it in the quran so isnt your wish that non-muslims should pay a tax.

October- I don't know if you are for truely seeking answers or just popping up now and again to fuel the fire that already burns inside you my friend.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here- and only once, shed some more light on this point you raise (then from here on I won't indulge in further communication because if you are genuine, you can seek answers from reputable Muslim websites or ask someone on here).

Presumably you are picking out the verse 9:29.

Firstly PLEASE do not look at ISIS as some form of governemnt Muslim state abiding by the Qu'ran and authentic sunnah (sayings/actions) of the Prophet. They clearly are not!

The acts of ISIS far exceed the limits and their transgression itself would result in their execution under a proper Islamic State. I could spend 2-3 pages detailing the conditions of war and how Muslims are advised to avoid killing non combats/women & children/destroying harvest/destroying property- but again, a good search may help you find the answers you seek- God willing.

As for your point, the verse itself needs to be seen in its full context.

It is common for non Muslim, especially those with an agenda to misrepresent this verse- some people have falsely concluded from verse 9:29, that Muslims are commanded to attack all non-Muslims until they pay money. Such an interpretation is completely false and contradicts authentic Islamic teachings.

Shaykh Jalal Abualrub writes

Islamic State is not permitted to attack non-Muslims who are not hostile to Islam, who do not oppress Muslims, or try to convert Muslims by force from their religion, or expel them from their lands, or wage war against them, or prepare for attacks against them. If any of these offenses occurs, however, Muslims are permitted to defend themselves and protect their religion. Muslims are not permitted to attack non-Muslims who signed peace pacts with them, or non-Muslims who live under the protection of the Islamic State.

What this shows is the true nature of what an IS should be like- there is no compulsion in religion (as Quran states).

The verse 9:29 particularly refers to the Roman Empire who waged war against Muhammad and his followers- it was a pre planned attack. What do you think they should do in this case, sit back and get slaughtered?

If  I knew a few people were heading to my house to attack me and my family- do you think I will sit back and chill? NO!

The verse refers to the historical context in which the Prophet Muhammad fought against other nations. The Prophet Muhammad did not
initiate agression against anyone, rather he and his followers were under attack from all who sought to crush the new Islamic state.

The jizya is something that was profound in the early years of Islam but it was not a burden, not imposed on poor,young, sick,aged people- in fact, the Muslims had to pay much more under the zakat system!

The one who paid jizya was protected, was exempt from military action- it was nothing more than a small tax levied under the Islamic Sate- just as you pay tax today (as I do) to the government. The concept is similar to income tax and corporate tax levied on expats living in foreign countries.

You are paying tax to the state government to provide you with benefits and social services etc. This service is provided to all citizens regardless of race, religion, ethnicity etc.

Now just as in the western world we have people complaining about immigrants not paying taxes or dishonest people evading taxes(you read something like this everyday) but benefitting from government services; if the non-zakaat paying people are left to benefit from state for free, we would have a situation similar to the right wing anti immigration lobby who would want these people out!

It makes sense to ask them to contribute to state coffers. This contribution is in form of jizya.

It's funny that attackers of this Jizya are quite okay with the tax system in their home country, but want to paint a draconian picture of a (non existent) ideal Islamic state.
:mellow:

Edited by The Doc
  • Like 1

If you could have it your own way i would be forced to pay a tax just so as i could [at]live and then i would still have less rights than you, 

Geziah,,could be a seen as similar to zakat, with much less value, that the muslem should pay. it's a kind of tax to provide the basic services and protection for the non-muslem (in the teachings of the prophet, he says, he will be in the zemi, man who pays aljeziah, against any Muslem who oppresses him )

In democratic countries, they obligate Muslems to pay taxes (huge amounts), then they use this money to attack Muslem countries like Iraq, killing, stealing ......, how do you balance this in your justice view?! that may answer about "the  less rights" you raised do a Muslem can stop christiane/atheist governments from using his money in killing his Innocent fellows??