Islamic Forum
Hoopoe

Some Basics Of Islam

Hello Gnosis.

Here is some basic infromation about Islam for you and we can continue our discussion here.

The word Islam means submission.
Those who follow the religion of Islam are called muslims.

According to Islam all the prophets were muslims and Muhammad (ﷺ) was the last and final prophet.

Muslims believe in one God, Allah.

Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.
[Quran 2:255]

Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One,
Allah , the Eternal Refuge.
He neither begets nor is born,
Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

[Quran 112:1-4]

To be a muslim you have to belive in the 6 pillars of faith.

1. Belief in Allah
2. Belief in Angels
3. Belief in scriptures
4. Belief in the prophets
5. Belief in life after death
6. Belief in predestination

Muslims also belive in jinns. Iblis (satan) is one of them. Jinns are not angels. Angels were made from light whereas Jinns were made from fire. Jinns have free will just like humans because they can go against the orders of God unlike the Angels. There are both good jinns and bad jinns.

Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,
The Sovereign of mankind.
The God of mankind,
From the evil of the retreating whisperer -
Who whispers [evil] into the breasts of mankind -
From among the jinn and mankind."

[Quran 114:1-6]

Islam could be compared to a house. We know that a house needs supporting pillars to stand without collapsing. Islam is also supported by pillars. The five pillars of Islam are:

1. The testimony of faith (shahda)
2. Praying 5 times a day (salat)
3. alms-giving for the needy (zakat)
4. Fasting in the month of Ramadan (sawm)
5. Pilgrimage to Mecca (hajj)

The 5 pillars are not the whole of Islam but there is no Islam without them. If one of these pillars is weak the whole house shakes.

Muslims follow the Qur'an and the sunnah of the prophet. Sunnah is the verbally transmitted record of the teachings, deeds and sayings of the prophet Muhammad (ﷺ).The Quran is the central religious text of Islam, which Muslims believe to be a revelation from God.

Edited by Hoopoe

PropellerAds

What is the human problem?

Secular humanists might say that the greatest human problem is the perpetuation of limiting social and economic conditions, which reduce individual persons’ capacity to realise their full potential.

A Marxist might say the human problem is the perpetuation of class distinctions and unequal control of the means of production.

If you were to ask almost any Christian congregation in the world what is the primary human problem, their answer would be ‘sin’.

So what is the human problem according to Islam?

Edited by tanker

Hello Gnosis. Here is some basic infromation about Islam for you and we can continue our discussion here.  The word Islam means submission.Those who follow the religion of Islam are called muslims.According to Islam all the prophets were muslims and Muhammad (ﷺ) was the last and final prophet.Muslims believe in one God, Allah.Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.[Quran 2:255]Say, "He is Allah , [who is] One,Allah , the Eternal Refuge.He neither begets nor is born,Nor is there to Him any equivalent."[Quran 112:1-4]To be a muslim you have to belive in the 6 pillars of faith.1. Belief in Allah2. Belief in Angels3. Belief in scriptures4. Belief in the prophets5. Belief in life after death6. Belief in predestinationMuslims also belive in jinns. Iblis (satan) is one of them. Jinns are not angels. Angels were made from light whereas Jinns were made from fire. Jinns have free will just like humans because they can go against the orders of God unlike the Angels. There are both good jinns and bad jinns.Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,The Sovereign of mankind.The God of mankind,From the evil of the retreating whisperer -Who whispers [evil] into the breasts of mankind -From among the jinn and mankind."[Quran 114:1-6]Islam could be compared to a house. We know that a house needs supporting pillars to stand without collapsing. Islam is also supported by pillars. The five pillars of Islam are:1. The testimony of faith (shahda)2. Praying 5 times a day (salat)3. alms-giving for the needy (zakat)4. Fasting in the month of Ramadan (sawm)5. Pilgrimage to Mecca (hajj)The 5 pillars are not the whole of Islam but there is no Islam without them. If one of these pillars is weak the whole house shakes.Muslims follow the Qur'an and the sunnah of the prophet. Sunnah is the verbally transmitted record of the teachings, deeds and sayings of the prophet Muhammad (ﷺ).The Quran is the central religious text of Islam, which Muslims believe to be a revelation from God.

Thank you. Hoopoe.

Could you clarify the Muslim belief in predestination. In the orthodox Christian tradition, the Calvinist belief in predestination is a lack of free will, and that your life has been predetermined.

This definition of the Calvinist view of predestination is from a Christian site. Is the Muslim view the same?

"Predestination – A Decree

Predestination is the decree of God by which certain souls are foreordained to salvation -- called the elect."

Also, could you elaborate on the concept of the jinns. We Gnostics believe that there are entities that drive us and keep us from our full potential as spiritual beings.

The "whisperer" that feeds our fears. The Gnostic belief is that Jesus helped Mary Magdalene to cast out the seven demons of wrath, greed, pride, sloth, lust, gluttony, envy. We don't believe that these are actually Satanic demons, but the "evil whisperers" that prevent us from spiritual ascension.

Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,

The Sovereign of mankind.

The God of mankind,

From the evil of the retreating whisperer -

Who whispers [evil] into the breasts of mankind -

From among the jinn and mankind."

[Quran 114:1-6]

Among many of the Gnostics, this song shows our beliefs in the "demons that drive us" and preventing us from spiritual birth.

Interestingly, Mary Magdalene, who is revered by Gnostics as the right hand of Jesus, is often referred to as the "Rose."

Roslyn Chapel is a Gnostic site.

"The Rose being significant, as seen in Western Gothic Architecture, symbolizing the secrets of the Divine feminine."

The Rose

Song by Bette Midler

Lyrics

Some say love it is a river

That drowns the tender reed

Some say love it is a razor

That leaves your soul to bleed

Some say love it is a hunger

An endless aching need

I say love it is a flower

And you it's only seed

It's the heart afraid of breaking

That never learns to dance

It's the dream afraid of waking

That never takes the chance

It's the one who won't be taken

Who cannot seem to give

And the soul afraid of dyin'

That never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely

And the road has been too long

And you think that love is only

For the lucky and the strong

Just remember in the winter

Far beneath the bitter snows

Lies the seed that with the sun's love

In the spring becomes the rose

Sorry, accidentally double posted.

Edited by Gnosis

Could you clarify the Muslim belief in predestination. In the orthodox Christian tradition, the Calvinist belief in predestination is a lack of free will, and that your life has been predetermined.

This definition of the Calvinist view of predestination is from a Christian site. Is the Muslim view the same?

"Predestination – A Decree

Predestination is the decree of God by which certain souls are foreordained to salvation -- called the elect."

What is meant by al-qadar (the divine will and decree) is that Allah has decreed all things from eternity and knows that they will happen at times that are known to Him, and in specific ways, and that He has written that and willed it, and they happen according to what He has decreed.

Belief in al-qadar (the divine will and decree) is based on four things:

1. Knowledge, i.e., that Allah knows what His creation will do, by virtue of His eternal knowledge.

2. Writing, i.e., that Allah has written the destiny of all creatures in the Book of Decrees (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz).

3. Will, i.e., that what Allah wills happens and what He does not will does not happen. There is no movement in the heavens or on earth but it happens by His will.

4. Creation and formation, i.e., that Allah is the Creator of all things, including the actions of His slaves. They do their actions in a real sense, and He is the Creator of them and of their actions.

Whoever believes in these four believes in al-qadar.

The Qur’an affirms these things in numerous verses, such as the verses in which He says (interpretation of the meaning):

And with Him are the keys of the Ghaib (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in (or on) the earth and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but he knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record.

[Qur'an - Surat Al-'An`ām 6:59]

No calamity befalls on the earth or in yourselves but is inscribed in the Book of Decrees (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz), before We bring it into existence. Verily, that is easy for Allah.

[Qur'an - Surat Al-Ĥadīd 57:22]

The belief of Sunni Muslims is that a person has freedom of will, and hence he will be rewarded or punished. But his will is subject to the will of Allaah, and nothing can take place in the universe that is not willed by Allah.

We have the choice to follow whatever path we want but at the end of this path you will find what Allah has decreed for you.

People act in a real sense, and Allaah is the Creator of their actions. A person may be a believer or a kaafir (non-muslim), righteous or immoral, he may pray and fast. People have control over their actions, and they have their own will, and Allah is the Creator of their control and will, as Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

To whomsoever among you who wills to walk straight,

And you will not, unless (it be) that Allah wills, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).

[Qur'an - Surat At-Takwīr 81:28-29]

To sum up: the belief that Allah is the Creator Who has decreed all things and has distinguished those who are blessed from those who are doomed, does not mean that Allah forces His slaves to obey or disobey. Rather He has given them the ability to choose and free will, which is what they act upon, and for which they will be brought to account. Your Lord does not wrong His slaves.

And Allah knows best.

Sources:

http://islamqa.info/en/20806

http://islamqa.info/en/96978

I will answer your other question soon Ins'Allah (if Allah wills).

Thank you, that was very enlightening.

I think you answered my question. What you are saying is that Allah is omniscient, prescient, but expects his followers to come to him of their own free will; which is different from the Calvinist view of predestination.

I think I got that right.

I am reading a fascinating book on the stories that are told from different religious perspectives(Islam, Jewish, and Christian). I have skipped right to the story of Sarah and Hagar. That story was always was very confusing to me. It will be interesting to read it from the Muslim perspective.

Edited by Gnosis

I think you answered my question. What you are saying is that Allah is omniscient, prescient, but expects his followers to come to him of their own free will; which is different from the Calvinist view of predestination.

Yes, Allah is the All-knowing but he is also the All-powerful. This means that our free will is within the controls and power of Allah so for ex. whatever you do in the future has already been decreed to happen.

I am reading a fascinating book on the stories that are told from different religious perspectives(Islam, Jewish, and Christian). I have skipped right to the story of Sarah and Hagar. That story was always was very confusing to me. It will be interesting to read it from the Muslim perspective.

According to Islam prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) is a descendant of Ismail the son of Hagar and Ibrahim (Aabraham). I'm not sure what the Christian narrative is.

Yes, Allah is the All-knowing but he is also the All-powerful. This means that our free will is within the controls and power of Allah so for ex. whatever you do in the future has already been decreed to happen.

According to Islam prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) is a descendant of Ismail the son of Hagar and Ibrahim (Aabraham). I'm not sure what the Christian narrative is.

Thank you for the information.

I am presently reading the Jewish version, and I can't say that I find Abraham and Sarah as being particularly admirable people. The story isn't much different from the basic story that I knew, but it gets worse as the author gets more in depth on the treatment of Hagar and Ishmeal.

Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.

[Quran 2:255]

Question – can Allah exercise any of his attributes outside of the created universe e.g. mercy, sustainer, justice, etc.?

Question – can Allah exercise any of his attributes outside of the created universe e.g. mercy, sustainer, justice, etc.?

Hello

Allah is over all things competent. Our universe doesn't limit his Power in any way.

Edited by Hoopoe

Hello

Allah is over all things competent. Our universe doesn't limit his Power in any way.

I'm just curious, how else can he exercise his attributes for example mercy if not in this world? Who else will he show his mercy to beyond this world?

Hoopoe,

I have been reading a little bit on the Muslim perspective of the afterlife. It sounds very similar to the Christian view of Heaven-Hell. What do you view as being the differences between the Heaven-Hell; punishment-reward systems.

Edited by Gnosis

Being Muslims we believe that the Quran in its original Arabic to be the unaltered and final revelation of Almighty Allah. Islam also teaches us to spend our lives by doing good deed so that on the day of judgement the righteous rewarded Paradise and the unrighteous punished in Hell. 

https://www.dawateislami.net/

Recitation of the Quran Karim has many blessings. It is the safety from the darkness and the punishment of the graves and from the Day of Resurrection. Recite Surah Fatihah With Tafsir Siratul Jinnan