Islamic Forum
Donald_M

Convert Me!

This is an honest attempt to understand Islam.

I'm in search of information that some may describe as 'the truth',

and this is my effort to grapple with such issues, thanks to the help of the Islamic Forum.

I can't start this learning process unless it makes sense. It has to be logical, else it'll be nonsense.

I've read the Quran back to front, several times, and all of the Hadith translated into English...

Why should I accept Islam over... say... Buddhism?

And why do you believe what Muhammed had to say?

Thanks.

PropellerAds

The place to start is asking what sort of God is on offer: the single person Allah or the Triune God of Christianity? Is it to be Allah who in the far reaches of enternity was alone with no possibility of love: who was there to love? Or will it be the triune God with the burning love between father, son and Holy Spirit and the desire to share that love with His creation?

Donald_M, on 12 Sept 2015 - 16:11, said:

This is an honest attempt to understand Islam.

I'm in search of information that some may describe as 'the truth',

and this is my effort to grapple with such issues, thanks to the help of the Islamic Forum.

I can't start this learning process unless it makes sense. It has to be logical, else it'll be nonsense.

I've read the Quran back to front, several times, and all of the Hadith translated into English...

Why should I accept Islam over... say... Buddhism?

And why do you believe what Muhammed had to say?

Thanks.

Salam, Donald

in the beginning, i can say since Islam is the largest expanding faith in the globe (although the relative bad conditions of the Islamic countries and the Media distortion to our image). Then from other humans experiences who have different races, educational and mental level, wealth, society class....those who gone through the path that you are trying to talk, searching the truth, and chose Islam, it's a good idea to begin from their, a real understanding to Islam.

Comparisons are great thing to understand, compare between Judaism , Christianity and Islam, I believe that you will find every good thing (truth) in the older faiths it will be emphasized in Islam and every bad, false or illogical thing in both is corrected in Islam [Islam will be the middle (optimum) way between both in worshiping, laws, and other aspects ]. this website will be helpful http://www.al-maktabeh.com/catplay.php?catsmktba=75.

http://www.Islam-guide.com/Islam-guide.pdf.... this small book is good beginning to know about some of the scientific knowledge in Islam. while in the bible it talks about around 4000 years as the human history on earth, Islam talks about the non-mixing seas, the origin of universe from smoke, the expansion of universe and other realities which wasn't available at the time of the prophet Muhammad Pbuh.

The biography of the chosen human by the god to receive and convey this message , you may need to read about that prophet Muhammad from mere human measurements. his humbleness, love and mercy, his leaderships to fulfill his mission. how poor he lived and died although he can own much. this book is very good: http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/books/Ar-Raheeq_Al-Makhtum.pdf. also you can review some of the non-muslem thinkers, how did they see such wonderful man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfORpUfsdRM.

Islam is very distinguished in his resources Quran and Sunnah. Quran is been saved miraculously though human memory media in its original spoken and understandable language. Sunnah is preserved through the work of well educated, well known, and honest human who show the ultimate scientific methodologies and professionalism in their work. http://www.islamicislamic.com/hadiths_compilation.htm,

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-about-Islam/faith-and-worship/quran-and-scriptures/168784-authenticity-of-bukhari.html?Scriptures=

one more thing, which is measuring things through its consequences. now when Islam came to one of the most ignorant and undeveloped nations on earth, Islam changed them into the most scientific and developed people on earth for centuries through its teachings and instructions. which is not clear in any other religion effect. I believe you may need to read about such renaissance which was ignited and motivated only by Islam from Islamic resources first.

hope that may help.

• Like 1

It is true that for a few centuries science flourished in the Islamic world Although it should be remembered that the great names of that time were not predominantly Arab or Muslim and of course they inherited vast amounts of knowledge from Greek and Idian sources. However, since that time nothing much has happened and even in this modern era the state of the Muslim world educationally and scientifically, to say nothing of human rights is lamentable - I'd advise you read the UN development reports to gets better insight.

Salam Tanker,

first let me say I don't ignore other humanitarian civilizations contributions, I believe the Muslems began their civilization by studying others' knowledge (we believe that all humans have the same mental capabilities, all of them are made by one god, and they can do the same, depending on their motivations). and I believe also that happened also in the western civilization it began by using the Islamic sciences. the Islamic civilization stayed on the top for about 7-8 centuries while the western one still about 3-4 centuries old. there are also many differences in social and humanitarian faces between both civilizations for the sake of the Islamic one. 

The main point here is that Islam was the only motivative force to the Islamic civilization. let me add that when Muslems become away from their religion teachings they lost their civilization. surprisingly, almost the opposite is real in other religions' case, it just burned out every scientific resource and relayed on superstitious which caused their people to lived in dark ages for more than 1500 years. They even didn't save the previous Hellenic civilization sciences, which fortunately were saved by Muslims.   Once they got out of the control of such religion they began to have a civilization. with Allah's mercy, he sent those Muslems to save and document the older acknowledges and build over it, which if not happened, all humanity would live in the dark ages for too long. 

let me say also that western civilization is still alive because of their ability to soak up the world brains (not because of the westerners' efforts). just log into any western university or research centers staff,  you will be astonished that almost 80% of the personals their are non-westerners (Indians, Chinese, Iranians, Russians, Africans, Arabs ,,etc). those personals who leads their countries and keep their civilization alive. 

Greetings Ahmad

Before I reply to your comment I'd like you to comment on this article from New Scientist which is a review of the book Cosmic Anger: The first Muslim Nobel scientist by Gordon Fraser, Oxford University Press ISBN: 9780199208463

Review by Professor Jim al-Khalili, a theoretical physicist at the University of Surrey, UK. His review was published in New Scientist, issue 2663 page 49.

UNTIL I read Gordon Fraser's excellent Cosmic Anger I knew just two things about the Pakistani physicist Abdus Salam: he won the Nobel prize for physics in 1979 for his part in developing the electroweak theory which unifies two of the four forces of nature, and he founded the International Centre for Theoretical Physics in Trieste, Italy, to support researchers from developing countries.

Actually, let me add a third fact that I was vaguely aware of but which crystallised after reading this biography: Salam stands as the greatest physicist of the Islamic world for 1,000 years. Not since the 11th-century polymath Ibn al-Haytham has there been a more influential figure in the field.

Born in the Punjab in 1926, Abdus Salam - a western corruption of a single first name - showed early signs of talent. At school he quickly solved a problem posed by the Indian maths genius Srinivasa Ramanujan, using an approach far more elegant than that of the great man himself.

Salam was a devout Muslim, but his life was hampered by his adherence to a controversial and relatively obscure sect called the Ahmadis, so much so that his religious convictions led him to be excommunicated from Pakistan in the 1970s. Despite this, he remained loyal to his country and worked tirelessly to promote science in the Islamic world. He also spent much of his life lobbying world leaders and the United Nations for funding to help science in developing countries. Not since Einstein has any one scientist been so influential on the world stage.

But without the support of his own country, Salam's dream of a scientific renaissance in the Islamic world was doomed to failure. It is to Pakistan's eternal shame that its greatest scientist was not acknowledged because of a narrow-minded intolerance towards his brand of religion. I believe that until Salam is given the respect he deserves there can be no true Islamic renaissance in science.

The early "Golden Age" of Islam, from the 8th to the 11th century, was notable not only for the many great scientific advances that were made, but for its acceptance of scholars from all races and religions. The reasons for the subsequent slow decline of science in the Islamic world between the 11th and 15th centuries are complex and varied, but the fact remains that Islamic countries today have a lot of catching up to do.

Salam's main devotion in life, however, was not to religion but to physics. His genius left its mark wherever he went: Cambridge, Princeton, Imperial College London and finally Trieste. The post-war decades saw tremendous advances in our understanding of the subatomic world. Together with Steven Weinberg and Sheldon Glashow, Salam created a theory that brought together the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces, one of the most beautiful and powerful ideas in physics.

More than a biography of a great scientist, this book provides a wider political and historical commentary. And while some of the details of Salam's physics may be incomprehensible to those without a background in the subject, the politics of the Indian subcontinent, and the status of science in Islam, both past and present, make this an important and enlightening read.

If you've read the Quran several times and felt nothing, then there is not much we can do for you, I'm afraid.

Read it again, in depth, perhaps it gets into your heart, and puts your doubts to rest.

But if we read the Quran we get the Muslim view that Muslims are the "best of peoples.. enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong.." (Qur'an 3:110), the unbelievers are "the most VILE of created beings" (Qur'an 98:6).

Hello Dot, and thank you for your reply.

Are we right to read just one book and proclaim its authenticity?

We know that there have been thousands of religions and tens of thousands of gods.

Is it not intellectually dishonest to disregard 'the rest'?

How did you come to settle on just one of these thousands of religions?

What justifies your position and decision to stop looking any further?

Thanks.

Donald, ask Allah to guide you. Just speak to Him. Raise your hands and ask him to guide you to the truth. 

But why Islam? There are far too many examples of people claiming revelation to pick one out of a hat like this.

There was once a time when your brain would have absorbed everything that your peers fed you...

But that time has gone. You are know graced with the knowledge that your quest has only just begun;

There are thousands of books to read on the subject of God, and you'd better get started.

Cos life is short. And eternity, well... That lasts a little while longer.

Assalamu Alaikum

If You really want to worship the tre God.Just Pray to HIM-The God who is eternal-Who is Supreme-Who cannot have a son or daughter-Who has the power to create Everything and cannot be Visualised by an Image or an Idol-Who communicates with his creation via Quran and Prophet muhammad (pbuh).

No One can Convert You until Allah Wills.

So Pray to Him that he accept You.

Have You read surah Yasin?

Dear Donald,

I'm very glad you're asking that question. My answer is going to be quite long. I'm sorry for not being able to make it shorter, but trust me I could spend days and nights answering this question. 

At the very beginning I will ask you to concentrate and to hardly try to think about the time when Muhammed saws lived, and the place as well (the end of 6th and the beginning of 7th century).

Those Arabs didn't even have a real paper or pen. Verses of Quran were written on palm leafs, animal skin, etc. They all lived in tribes, in a desert, 90% of them were illiterate. Arabian peninsula was not interesting to surrounding Byzantium and Persian Empire, because of its natural lack of resources, so there was no influence on the most primitive people at that time in that area. But, amazingly the Quran, which is greatest literal miracle appeared exactly over there, and "provided by" an illiterate man - Muhammed saws. 

Quran is not a book sent down from the Heaven, it's speech sent down as a recitation.

I sad that Quran is a literal miracle. Well, while you read it in English it is not. The original one, the Arabic Quran still amazes every single person who knows Arabic and more over those who have a knowledge of the ancient Arabic. Trust me, I'm studying one verse of Quran for couple of months. 

Since I'm a newbie here, I am not able to post links, pictures, etc, but as soon as I become a full member i will show you some literal miracles of Quran, no matter you don't understand Arabic. For now I will only mention its circular order (verses to verses, subjects inside one surah and surahs), then topics order and its perfection.

Secondly, again I'm not able to post links, but please google mathematical miracles of Quran, then scientifical miracles of Quran. 

Third, currently millions of Muslims all over the world know Quran by heart. If you find any other book memorized by more than 1 person, please inform me. 

4th, let's talk about "prophecy." Every single thing that our Prophet Muhammed saws said that will happen before the end of this world already happened. 

Past

1. Splitting of the Moon.

2. Death of the Prophet Muhammad, may Allah bless him and grant him peace.

3. A form of death which will kill thousands of Muslims. (Understood to refer to the plague of Amwas during the
caliphate of ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab.)

4. A major fighting in Madinah (understood to refer to the battle of al-Harrah during the caliphate of Yazid, 63 AH).

5. The Muslim conquest of Jerusalem.

6. The Muslim conquest of Constantinople.

7. Two large groups of Muslims will fight in war.

8. A war between the Muslims and a reddish people with small eyes, wearing sandals made of hair (understood to refer to
the Mongol Tatar invasion of the Islamic lands.)

9. A peace agreement between the Muslims and non-Muslims from the yellow race (Chinese, Mongols, etc.)

10. Thirty impostors (dajjal) will appear, each thinking he is a prophet.

Present?

11. Naked, destitute, barefoot shepherds will compete in building tall buildings. - DUBAI, right

12. The slave-woman will give birth to her master or mistress. - this used to happen in monarchy times

13. A trial (fitnah) which will enter every Arab household. 

14. Knowledge will be taken away (by the death of people of knowledge), and ignorance will prevail. 

15. Wine (intoxicants, alcohol) will be drunk in great quantities.

16. Illegal sexual intercourse will become widespread.

17. Earthquakes will increase.

18. Time will pass more quickly.

19. Tribulations (fitan) will prevail.

20. Bloodshed will increase.

21. A man will pass by the grave of another and wish he was in the latter’s place. - Suicidal thougts are common today. Every third person sufers from depression.

22. Trustworthiness will be lost, i.e. when authority is given to those who do not deserve it. - 

23. People will gather for prayer, but will be unable to find an imam to lead them.

24. Camels will no longer be used as a means of transport; 

25. People will ride on saddles that aren't saddles  

26. The distance on earth will become short; 

27. Horses will not be used in wars; 

28. Muslims will defeat the Byzantines which will end with the conquest of Constantinople (Istanbul); 

29. The Jews will gather again to live in Bilad Canaan; 

30. Very tall buildings will be built; 

31. The disappearance of knowledge and the appearance of ignorance, with much killing;

32. The number of men will decrease and the number of women will increase until there are 50 women to be looked after by one man me worn out like clothes are, until no one will know what fasting, prayer, charity and rituals are;

33. Allah will send a disease to fornicators that will have no cure 

34. People will begin to believe in the stars and reject AL QADAR (THE DIVINE DECREE OF DESTINY);

35. The Euphrates will uncover a mountain of gold for which people will fight over (the river of Alfurat that lies near Syria);

36. Two large groups of people will fight one another, and there will be many casualties; they will both be following the same religion; - possibly WWII

The list is long, google signs of judgment day in Islam and you will be amazed. 

I'm also asking brothers and sisters who are already full members to post images and link about scientific miracles of Quran.