Islamic Forum
Gods Servant

God's Oath

The Bible says:

"When God made the promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater by whom to swear, "he swore by himself" human beings swear by someone greater than themselves; for them an oath serves as a guarantee and puts an end to all argument. So when God wanted to give the heirs of his promise an even clearer demonstration of the immutability of his purpose, he intervened with an oath" - Hebrews 6:13, 16:17

The Quran says:

"But nay! I swear by the falling of stars" - Surah 56:75

Edited by Gods Servant

PropellerAds

The Stars can't be greater than God.. If God created the universe (including the stars ;) ) then stands to reason they cannot be anything approaching the greatness of God.

Why can't God swear on things inferior to Himself?

From a Biblical perspective God (YHWH) only swears by Himself because obviously there is none greater, we swear by something greater than ourselves ~ God ~ if our oath or promise is to mean anything. Swearing by anything other than Himself would mean God values other things higher than Himself, things He Himself created. It makes no sense, it implies God deifies objects He has created, when God Himself clearly states there are NO other God except HIm.

According to the Biblical perspective this is true... but how do you know the Bible is correct?

How can we know anything is true? Even in science every result is provisional rather than an absolute truth. So perhaps all we can do is examine the Biblical claims for plausibility. So the Bible speaks a lot about love: love God, love your neighbour, love the stranger, love each other and love even your enemies? Surely these are at least lausibkd truth for humsnity

How can we know anything is true? Even in science every result is provisional rather than an absolute truth. So perhaps all we can do is examine the Biblical claims for plausibility. So the Bible speaks a lot about love: love God, love your neighbour, love the stranger, love each other and love even your enemies? Surely these are at least lausibkd truth for humsnity

These are the reasons why I haven't fully left my Christian faith. The Bible is correct about these things, but wrong in its claim that Jesus is God, and it attributes to God things He didn't say.

What kind of things?

Sometimes I think the "contradictions" or "errors" people find in the Bible aren't actually contradictions at all, more a confusion over context. The Bible is not the word of God verbatim, it's revelations were recorded and written by men, humans, which are not perfect. Gods word is perfect, but as soon as it is trusted to mankind then "errors" will occur. However, such errors should not be able to change the core message of what God wants to give to His creation, us. :) that's why the Bible is Gods truth, because despite being written over a period of two thousand years by forty or so authors on three different different continents in three different languages.. It's message is the same now as it was from the beginning. Manuscript evidence and archeological evidence proves as much. Mankind could never have produced such a work without divine guidance.

What kind of things?

Sometimes I think the "contradictions" or "errors" people find in the Bible aren't actually contradictions at all, more a confusion over context. The Bible is not the word of God verbatim, it's revelations were recorded and written by men, humans, which are not perfect. Gods word is perfect, but as soon as it is trusted to mankind then "errors" will occur. However, such errors should not be able to change the core message of what God wants to give to His creation, us. :) that's why the Bible is Gods truth, because despite being written over a period of two thousand years by forty or so authors on three different different continents in three different languages.. It's message is the same now as it was from the beginning. Manuscript evidence and archeological evidence proves as much. Mankind could never have produced such a work without divine guidance.

I'll start off with just one example.

Matthew10:21-23

21 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of israel before the Son of Man comes.

The disciples passed away almost 2 milennia ago, and I am unaware of any part of Palestine or israel that Christians have not been in at some point. Unfortunately, this was a false prophecy.

Hmm. I always thought that prophecy was fulfilled with the destruction of the Temple in 70AD. It's certainly true that the disciples almost to a man suffered great persecution and died cruel deaths for the sake of the Gospel they taught.

Hmm. I always thought that prophecy was fulfilled with the destruction of the Temple in 70AD. It's certainly true that the disciples almost to a man suffered great persecution and died cruel deaths for the sake of the Gospel they taught.

They certainly were cruelly martyred, but did Jesus return in AD 70?

They certainly were cruelly martyred, but did Jesus return in AD 70?

This is a very difficult passage to understand. Many scholars believe Jesus was referring to both A.D. 70 the destruction of the temple and the end of time – a kind of micro and macro twofold event if you will.

What I mean by that is the temple was designed to be a micro model of the macro world, to reflect the world as is was in the beginning. The world is God’s temple and the Garden of Eden was his sanctuary. So what happen in the event of A.D. 70 was a preview of what’s to come at the end of the world. The Son of Man did return A.D. 70 not in flesh and blood because the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity is not limited to his human nature, he returned as divine justice to the Jews using the Romans as in instrument of punishment.

We can find an illustration of this in the Old Testament Isaiah 13:9-11

Lo, the day of the LORD comes, cruel, with wrath and burning anger; To lay waste the land and destroy the sinners within it! The stars and constellations of the heavens send forth no light; The sun is dark when it rises, and the light of the moon does not shine. Thus I will punish the world for its evil and the wicked for their guilt. I will put an end to the pride of the arrogant, the insolence of tyrants I will humble.

When this prophecy was fulfilled in the 7th century B.C. did the sun and the moon darken? No, the position of the stars, moon and sun was how the astronomers at the time calculated days, months and years in their calendar. So when these things become dormant it means time stops, the time for the israelites was over, so were the signs similar in A.D 70 for those with eyes to see the sign of the return of Son of Man at the end of the world.

God bless,