Islamic Forum
llogical

What Is The Contribution Of Islam In In Today's World?

This holds true for any religion but using Islam as an example. Without going into past, or worrying about salvation (heaven/ hell) what is the most appealing pitch (Dawah) to a non Muslim that is relevant to the world now?

I mean if we examine the world around us, there is lots of hostility and conflict stemming from religion, religious teaching as a way of life are failing terribly. Why do we need something that doesn't work in status quo?

I've heard the 'Do not blame the teacher' argument but with all these students failing who is accountable? ( if you say Satan I will find you and tickle you till you pass out)

Hi llogical,

As an individual Muslim, I think I have contributed to my society in my own little way, doing good deeds, maintaining modesty and decency and doing some other good things, as instructed by my religion. And I believe other individual Muslims have done the same as well in their own way, helping people, doing good deeds, and etc.

Now, the problem is, as a whole, Muslims today are just separate individuals or groups. So, you can't really ask what Islam has contributed in today's world unless you believe that there is a Muslim Caliphate today where all the Muslims are united under One Nation. On the same note, I wouldn't ask, what agnostics' contribution to today's world before I make sure that they have their own formal organized system that offically identify the group that they belong to.

But if you insist, the decency and modesty in the way Muslims dress are the dying trait that is getting more relevant in today's world of increasing immodesty, indecency and vulgarity. In many cases, it's been proven as the most appealing pitch (Dawah) to a non Muslim.

Hope you understand what I'm saying.

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov

Hi llogical,

Maybe your question will be more valid if you ask what are Muslims countries' contribution to today's world...

But if you insist that it is Islam's contribution that you're asking, then Islam has always offered its Islamic values, traits, and morals to the world, whether in the past, in the present, or in the future.

And what is the most appealing pitch (Dawah) to a non Muslim other than the Islamic values, traits and morals themselves. More and more people are embracing this religions because of these

Yasnov

Thanks for replying .

To clarify my question was what does Islam as a religion has to offer to someone say a human clone who have no idea what religion is and how it can improve her life or add any value .(yep the clone is a female Bcaz that's the preferred gender of choice )

From what I gather from your answer the contribution is morals and values.

Most religions preach good morals and values. Also we can get great morals and values from our culture and society so what's the need for a religion then?

If anything religion creates more conflict and hostility in this world.The rewards and punishment (heaven, hell ) system of control is very transparent to most beings.

So let's say I'm an alien trying to assimilate into this world.

I don't lie steal or hurt anyone because of the golden rule and because it's the right thing to do not because I'm being threatened by punishment or lured into greed by rewards. Why must I chose a religion and how does it help any one?

Thanks

Edited by llogical

llogical,

Education and critical thinking are the key. Values and morals keep changing over time, different places different set of values and morals. Your golden rules values has its own limitations. Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

With education and critical thinking, you would notice how religions are being exploited by a few political elites for their own interests and gains. That's the conflicts and hostilities that you just attributed to religions.

So, you an alien. I am a human. I am a human who always want to establish connection with the Superpower out there. The powerful Creator of our Universe, Multiverse. There is always this longing inside to seek Him, and when found him, to communicate with Him constantly. If you don't feel that, and if you don't event want it, then it's fine with me. But is it fine with you?

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov

So you apply critical thinking to all your beliefs? Just to make the point tell me how you apply critical thinking to the famous Hadith about one flies wing having the disease and the other wing the cure?

So you apply critical thinking to all your beliefs? Just to make the point tell me how you apply cr0itical thinking to the famous Hadith about one flies wing having the disease and the other wing the cure?

Tanker,

I'm not a scientist, but if you're curious as to how I applied critical thinking on this was that in the past, medicine were not as widely available as they are in modern times. It's more than one thousands ago when people used anything that were immediately available to them to prevent certain diseases. Today, we have abundant cheap and expensive antibiotic supplies, but it's not a reason to look down on the inexpensive cures people used 1400 years ago. Even Chinese traditional medicine today still use some 'disgusting' animals for medicine. Tribal people living in remote islands also found the cures to their ailments from something that you may never expect.

Now, is the hadith in conflict with my desire to submit to the Creator? No, I don't feel it to be so.

As I said, I'm not a scientist and I didn't live in that era and didn't see the flies with my own eyes. Maybe certain flies have antidote.

From http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2002/10/01/689400.htm : (This is an official

Government web site)

From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15462958 : (Another official Government

web site)

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1517-83822008000200035

If your response was, that is still disgusting. Why don't just get a new drink then? It's a desert, and water of course were so valuable, you couldn't just throw away a glass of water when you lived in desert 1400 years ago. People even fought and waged war against each other over water. That's what I think of the situation.

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov

Let's stick to the precise topic and question at hand... Let me get us back on track ... I am an alien.... Hey Yas how will becoming a Muslim help me in this world? I can find the creator through critical thinking so what does Islam offer to improve my life ?

llogical,

Each of us are going through life differently. I was a born Muslim who has always been living on this Earth. And you are a friendy visiting Alien. I don't know anything about you, about your life. I don't know what's missing or lacking from your life. It's only you who know yourself, which parts of it that need to be improved. I am not the one to tell you how Islam will improve your life if I never knew what you wanted to achieve out of this world.

This thread is pointless if you never think there is a Creator in the first place. This is Spiritual Realm. You can't use critical thinking on this. This is the same thing when you can't use Critical Thinking on Emotional Realm. When you are emotionally attached to a certain individual, you can't use Critical Thinking to shift your feeling from that particular person to someone else.

Imagine the people out there who believe that there's alien life out there, and they keep looking forward to meeting an alien someday. People can believe if they want to and if they need to.

If you do not want to believe, and you don't need to believe either, then maybe Islam, or any other religions, is not just for you. You need to look elsewhere for ways to improve your life.

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov

So in your opinion there is nothing Islam has to offer to an alien that would improve his life?

So in your opinion there is nothing Islam has to offer to an alien that would improve his life?

Ilogical,

You're being vague. Improve in what? Physycally? Economically? Spritually? Emotionally?

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov
  • Like 1

If we look at Muslim majority countries with their intolerance and lack of common freedoms one wonders if Islam has anything to offer in a modern world. We don't see science flourishing and it terms of simple things like book production the output of Islamic countries is pitifully small