Islamic Forum
TG1234567

One Of My Friends Was Killed Today

Hashem Al Azzah was a 55 year old Palestinian man who lives in Hebron, who I had the privilege of getting to know last summer in 2014. He and his family have lived in Tel Rumeida, and have suffered horrific harassment from israeli settlers over the timespan of several decades, who did everything possible to get them to move out. Hashem and his wife had been assaulted, and in one attack many years ago, his wife suffered a miscarriage. They have had bullets shot at their home, their grapes poisoned, and from 2000 to 2104, they were denied the right to pick their own olives.

Despite this, Hashem did not give up. He ran a community centre in Hebron, which provided free counseling and medical treatment to Palestinian women. He managed to get volunteers from the West to come in and teach young adults as well as children English, and kept a summer school going in which I was able to volunteer at a bit.

What I remember most about him was his warm hospitality. Two summers ago, he and his family had me and another ISMer at his home for supper and tea, and then we stayed up all night (until 2 in the morning) drinking tea, talking about politics and history and God.

I wrote a blog entry about him and his family, it can be found: http://mighty-stream123.blogspot.ca/2014/08/hashems-neighbours.html

What I found very admirable about Hashem is not only his courage, but compassion. Unlike some Palestinians I have spoken to in Hebron, he said he would be fine living with the settlers, even those who have been tyrannizing him and his family as his neighbours... as long as they were equal under the law. He wanted justice, not revenge.

Today, his life was ended.

Hashem had a heart attack in his house, which is uphill in Tel Rumeida. Only israeli settlers and soldiers and police are allowed to drive there. Palestinians who live there are banned from driving a vehicle. Not even ambulances are allowed in.

Because of this rule, Hashem had to be carried downhill by some Palestinian friends, to a square called Bab E Zawiyeh, which is in H1, the part of Hebron that is under Palestinian Authority control. When they got there, they arrived in the midst of clashes between Palestinian young men and youth, and israeli soldiers. The young men and youth were in most likelihood throwing rocks. The soldiers, among their other weapons, were shooting off massive amounts of teargas.

Trying to get medical help, Hashem got caught up in the gas cloud. I hope he died quickly, but having experienced teargas several times myself, he probably didn't. In most likelihood, my friend died in great pain and distress, choking and gagging as the fumes invaded his lungs and throat. He probably felt the intense burning inside that the gas creates, and probably felt panic as he began to suffocate. Perhaps his heart gave way sooner and his suffering lasted less, but I have no way of knowing.

He died as another Palestinian victim of the violence of the occupation. He should not have died like this, choking to death in gas that he was forced to walk into, because he was not allowed access to an ambulance. He should have died an old man in bed, surrounded by family and friends. Not like this.

He joined a large list of Palestinians, who along with a smaller but no less important number of israelis, died in the violence whose root cause I believe is the occupation of Palestine by the israeli government. No one deserves to be teargassed to death. No one deserves to be stabbed. No one deserves to be shot, or beaten to death.

I pray that God comforts his family, and the family of every single person, regardless of nationality or religion or ethnicity, who has been killed by violence.

Equality and justice for all Palestinians and israelis is the only possible solution.

End the occupation!!!!

PropellerAds

Freedom doesn't come for cheap. Sorry for your loss and it will be like that till every inch of Palestine is free. 

It's is always sad when lives are lost to violence but this violence has been generated by virulent and genocidal hatred shown by Hamas and PA leaders. Jews have always lived in israel for about 3.000 years and much of the land they occupy now was actually bough from absentee Arab landlord who thought the land worthless.

You want it seems to replace the only democratic and free society in the Middle East with genocidal regimes. Why don't you find out how the average Palestinian is treated by their own governments or how many Palestinians are killed not by israel but other Arab powers?

Any of us could have been born into these circumstances.

Whether you be the aggressor, the victim, or someone supporting either side. And to a very real extent we all are.

You only feel the way that you do, because of these variables about which you have no control.

None of the people alive today are the cause for the way that the world is.

Each one of us has been taught by another, who was taught by another and so on, and so on.

We awoke into this mess, with everything that had come before us laying the foundations for the way that we are.

We all have to deal with our problems, all the while remembering that we are a product of these times gone by.

There are people in this world that might take some sort of enjoyment from your story, TG1234567.

Just know that they are not responsible for the family they were born into either, any more than you were or the immediate victim.

If everybody took a deep breath and spent a few minutes trying to understand the causes of human actions,

a good deal of this behaviour would cease to be. Even without the hard determinism.

It's is always sad when lives are lost to violence but this violence has been generated by virulent and genocidal hatred shown by Hamas and PA leaders. Jews have always lived in israel for about 3.000 years and much of the land they occupy now was actually bough from absentee Arab landlord who thought the land worthless.

You want it seems to replace the only democratic and free society in the Middle East with genocidal regimes. Why don't you find out how the average Palestinian is treated by their own governments or how many Palestinians are killed not by israel but other Arab powers?

Tanker,

Both Arabs and Jews have lived in this land for milennia, it belongs to both. The Jewish people who fled to it from Europe in the 1800s during the horrific pogroms and bought large parts of it, bought from absentee landlords and Ottomans, but there were other Arabs living there who had to be thrown out and had no say in the matter. The first part of the phrase "a land without a people for a people without a land" was a lie, there were already people living there.

The Arab regimes are indeed brutal and corrupt and some are genocidal. I have no love for either the PA or Hamas either.

However, to call israeli treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank as "democratic and free" is ignorance at its best and lying at its worst. Have you ever been to the West Bank? I have, three times. 

Each time I was there I made sure to document the israeli government's "free and democratic" rule of the Palestinian people I met, one of whom was Hashem, who now because of them is dead.

www.livingstones-tomasz.blogspot.com

www.mighty-stream123.blogspot.com

www.hungryandthirstyforjustice.blogspot.com

Freedom doesn't come for cheap. Sorry for your loss and it will be like that till every inch of Palestine is free. 

Thank you. The only possible solution is one where Palestinians and israelis will be living in a state or two states where for everyone there is justice and dignity and freedom. Jews and Muslims and Christians all have a history and a place in the Holy Land. The occupation must end, and not be replaced by a reverse one but a truly free and just society.

Any of us could have been born into these circumstances.

Whether you be the aggressor, the victim, or someone supporting either side. And to a very real extent we all are.

You only feel the way that you do, because of these variables about which you have no control.

None of the people alive today are the cause for the way that the world is.

Each one of us has been taught by another, who was taught by another and so on, and so on.

We awoke into this mess, with everything that had come before us laying the foundations for the way that we are.

We all have to deal with our problems, all the while remembering that we are a product of these times gone by.

There are people in this world that might take some sort of enjoyment from your story, TG1234567.

Just know that they are not responsible for the family they were born into either, any more than you were or the immediate victim.

If everybody took a deep breath and spent a few minutes trying to understand the causes of human actions,

a good deal of this behaviour would cease to be. Even without the hard determinism.

I agree we have no choice as to what families we are born into. We all do have choices as what to do with our lives.

Don't family and the available education, create you. And your choices?

I would argue that it may not be possible for you to become a Hindu or whathaveyou, given your circumstances...

i.e It is not a valid 'choice' for you.

Scientology exists within both of our world views.

But I couldn't simply 'choose' to become a scientologist.

Many could. But their families and/or education (circumstances) would have to allow for this.

I don't think that we are all the same person... but with different memories & same available choices.

The data/information/education we receive, has a very real effect on who we turn out to be.

Tanker,

Both Arabs and Jews have lived in this land for milennia, it belongs to both. The Jewish people who fled to it from Europe in the 1800s during the horrific pogroms and bought large parts of it, bought from absentee landlords and Ottomans, but there were other Arabs living there who had to be thrown out and had no say in the matter. The first part of the phrase "a land without a people for a people without a land" was a lie, there were already people living there.

The Arab regimes are indeed brutal and corrupt and some are genocidal. I have no love for either the PA or Hamas either.

However, to call israeli treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank as "democratic and free" is ignorance at its best and lying at its worst. Have you ever been to the West Bank? I have, three times. 

Each time I was there I made sure to document the israeli government's "free and democratic" rule of the Palestinian people I met, one of whom was Hashem, who now because of them is dead.

first of all I didn't say theWest Bank was democratic and free, you invented that, you told a lie. But tell me are you happy with the genocidal values of the Palestinians? Why rant against isreal but say nothing about the huge number of Palestinians killed in the Arab states?

first of all I didn't say theWest Bank was democratic and free, you invented that, you told a lie. But tell me are you happy with the genocidal values of the Palestinians? Why rant against isreal but say nothing about the huge number of Palestinians killed in the Arab states?

I apologize, when you called israel "democratic and free", I also assumed you believed that applied to their treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank. I apologize and take that back.

The Arab states do not get support from most evangelical churches, the state of israel does. Most Palestinians I have spoken to are angry at israel, but they also say they would want to live in peace with israelis. From my last 3 times in the West Bank, I can only remember two people who said they wanted all israelis killed or expelled. Most Palestinians do not want that.

TG,

I'm sorry to hear of you loss.

I have learned that doing acts of kindness in the names of lost friends and loved ones helps me deal with the sorrow.