Islamic Forum
ATereskov

Holy Quran In Today's English By Yahiya E. - Is It Any Good?

Hello everyone :) 

So, I am looking for an English translation of the Quran that I can spend some time reading through. I have worked through the Everyman's Library Edition, but I felt a bit like I had just read a KJV Bible. I am really not a fan of reading Holy Books in languages other than the original, but I don't have a good enough grasp on Arabic to even try to approach the Quran in anything but English. I was searching online this afternoon, and I happened upon "Holy Quran in Today's English" by Yahiya Emerick. I was wondering if anyone has read through this version before? Is the translation done well and is it reliable enough to give a non-Muslim a decent enough introduction? I'm looking to understand Islam overall at this point so as long as it clearly expresses the overall beliefs etc I'll be happy. :) I'm not really intending to use it for academic/philosophical study. Just personal reflection etc. 

Any advice would be welcome to other English translations as well if anyone knows of decent ones :) 

Thanks!

- Anna

• Like 1

PropellerAds

I don't know about the translation by Yahiya Emerick. It is probably a recent one.

One that has been around for a long time, since 1955, and was worked on and

improved by the translator over the years, is by N.J. Dawood. I had practically

memorized it when I first started studying the Koran, as it is in very plain, easy

to understand English. Dawood was a native Arabic speaker and founder of a famous

translation and publishing industry, so although it is plain English it doesn't

miss out on the meaning.

I've read negative comments on it by Muslims, but comparing it with their own

translations, I don't see much difference, as far as the meaning and intent of

the Prophet.

Hope this helps.

I am not familiar with Yahiya E. I use Sahih International and I think it's an easy and simple translation.

• Like 1

I agree with A.T.

I recommend using this website: https://quran.com/

You can read the sahih international translation while listening to the original text by your choice of reciters. You can also select, when you mouse over a word, if you'll get its meaning, word by word, or see its transliteration (pronunciation in English letters).

For reading offline, you can download sahih international translation from here:

http://www.gawaher.com/topic/726909-quran-in-english-by-sahih-international/

Thank you all for the recommendations! I've been spending some of this afternoon on the https://quran.com site and it's really helpful :) Thank you for passing that along dot. I'm assuming it'll take some time to work through this, but if I run into any areas where I need some help I'll be sure to post back :) 

Thanks again! 

- Anna