Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muezza

What Should I Do After My A'levels?

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

My A' level subjects are Maths, Physics, Computing and General Paper (essay-writing paper). What can I do next with such subjects?

Obviously, I will have to apply to about 5 universities, but what 'kind' would be the best. (I don't take Chemistry so an engineering uni is out of question, right?)

Btw, I LOVE arts, unfortunately, I had to drop it due to circumstances. :D So, maybe I could take up some art courses (after A' levels) and go to an arts institution? Or would I be wasting my qualification related to science?

Or how about a combonation of arts and computing? Meaning graphic designing!

*Sighs* So many options.

Sorry for confusing everyone.

Jazakhallah in advance for any advice.

Edited by Muezza

PropellerAds

Asalaamualaikum

wowwwww u study maths, physics AND computing? those are like the 3 HARDEST subjects! cool girl! girl power!

Is there a particular profession that you really take a fancy to? like for me it was journalism or law. so i stuck to journalism as a part timer whenever i have a chance, and decided to take law the full length into a degree inshAllah.

Not all degrees are subject specific but for the ones that are, you can really feel like ur stick in quick-sand because they usually want 3-4 specific subjects at Alevel and you'll realise you're missing one! in your case it's chemistry!!

Maths and Physics is a good combination though, there's alot of degrees you can get into. Computing too. have you ever thought about taking computing to a degree level?

Subject specific degrees can be quite boring, e.g. english literature was my fave subject bu studying it to degree level would be ruining it!

What about mechanical engineering? they want maths and physics for deinfate. most uni's do say they want a third science subject e.g. chemistry. but some top unis like Manchester university will allow students who combine 2 AS levels. so if you still have one academic year left in college, then why not try doing chemistry AS?

computer science? Physics with Astro physics? lol the possibilites are endless :D

or why dont u be totally radical and study photography :D

firstly you need to narrow down your possible choices of career paths, and then decide which one is for you

the best thing i can suggest is contacting the universities and they can help you

Ask your college F E advice team they should be able to help you choose a course and university to suit it.

i dont know where abouts you are in the world but if you're in UK then connexions.co.uk is a great service

Ma'salaama

:D

To do art you will have to do a years foundation course I believe, as you didn't do A Level Art.

You can do pure Computer Science and eventually go into simulations and mathematical modelling and all that stuff, research, etc.

Or do a Maths degree...

Actually this stage it is a good idea to decide what you WANT to do and WHY do you want to do it? I mean say for example me it would be I just need to get a secure job and earn some money, so I'd study a field I know more about rather than do the one I enjoy (keep the one I enjoy as a hobby).

Arts and Computing then you are talking about Multimedia?

May I ask what are your predicted grades?

University guide 2004 and league tables for different subjects!

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2004"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2004[/url]

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

As far as I'm aware, Engineering degrees want Maths and Physics A-levels. Chemistry isn't necessary as a third A-level (if any thing, a third A-level they'd prefer is Further Maths).

You get 6 applications through UCAS, yeah? (I assume you're in the UK). It's sensible to make 2-3 'safety net' applications in those 6, to unis which require low grades but you still would be interested in going to, to ensure you get some offers out of your 6 apps.

When you try to decide which degree you want to do, remember it should be something you are really interested in rather than something you think you ought to do, cos you'll be doing it for at least 3 yrs, and you don't want to lose motivation when you have deadlines and you need to revise for exams and such.

Wassalaam.

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

Let me just say, you guys are the best! :D Sorry for the late reply though.

wowwwww u study maths, physics AND computing? those are like the 3 HARDEST subjects! cool girl! girl power!

Haha! Thanks, I agree they're really tough. :D

Is there a particular profession that you really take a fancy to?

Um, yes, for me it's graphic designing or anything related to computers/IT.

have you ever thought about taking computing to a degree level?

Yes, I actually have thought about that. That could be my possible option.

Subject specific degrees can be quite boring

Lol, yeah I agree.

What about mechanical engineering?

Um, the problem is I'm more into computing. Probably that's why I didn't take Chemistry (grrr, I don't like it! I only tolerated it in O'levels because my teacher was good :D ).

computer science? Physics with Astro physics? lol the possibilites are endless

or why dont u be totally radical and study photography

Great ideas. B)

Thanks for all the great advice, sis Sparklz.

Arts and Computing then you are talking about Multimedia?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

May I ask what are your predicted grades?

It's too soon to say because I have a whole year left. But I'm hoping for 3 A's and a B. *prays*

Thanks for that tables link bro, ahm. That could come quite in handy.

When you try to decide which degree you want to do, remember it should be something you are really interested in rather than something you think you ought to do, cos you'll be doing it for at least 3 yrs, and you don't want to lose motivation when you have deadlines and you need to revise for exams and such.

Yeah, I agree 100% :D Btw, borbus, I'm from Pakistan (see "From" under my icon). But I still appreciate your feedback. B)

Edited by Muezza

asalamu alaikum

do they have A Levels in Pakistan...? wow...!

anyway, come to Graphic Design... its a place where you can never grow old... trust me...

from what you say, you like Art and Computers... seems like your trying to tie the two together, you cant! Graphic Design is not for those who love art and computers... i mean i can barely draw and some in the class cant even use computers... you should be looking at Fine Art if you like art or some computing degree if you like computers...

a wiser option would be Multimedia... but then you gona a hard time! what in the world told you not to do Art at A Level...? your gona have to do a foundation course, then the national level i think and then you'll be eligible for a degree level course... thats 3 years in an Art school... currently where im at... only got a year left...! i didnt do Art at GCSE... i was allowed right in with a GNVQ... hehe

i would say you sit down and think more, if you like Art more than computers, consider Fine Art or Multimedia or if you feel upto it, Graphic Design... and if you like Computers more than Art, do some computing degree... but dont try and tie the two together, they dont go together! a lot of people do the Multimedia and Graphic Design courses cos they are fun.. yes they are fun but once you've done and you have to work freelance till your reconised... times are gona be tough... consider carefully... Computing or Art... remember, Graphic Design and Multimedia is part of Digital Art...

can i see some of your Art work or since you say you really like Graphic Design... some work of that you have done, please...!?

Do mathematics chemistry physics and biology.. it will rock ur world!

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

anyway, come to Graphic Design... its a place where you can never grow old... trust me...

Thanks, I'll write this in my "Top 10 list of possible careers". :biggrin:

from what you say, you like Art and Computers... seems like your trying to tie the two together, you cant! Graphic Design is not for those who love art and computers... i mean i can barely draw and some in the class cant even use computers... you should be looking at Fine Art if you like art or some computing degree if you like computers...

a wiser option would be Multimedia...

Okay. :D

what in the world told you not to do Art at A Level...?

My vice-principal and my teachers. Apparently I couldn't have art for 2 reasons:

* It will clash with Computing as both subjects require a lot of effort, time, meeting deadlines, etc.

* I didn't take art in O'levels (but that was because my school didn't offer it. Strange, no?)

would say you sit down and think more, if you like Art more than computers, consider Fine Art or Multimedia or if you feel upto it, Graphic Design... and if you like Computers more than Art, do some computing degree... but dont try and tie the two together, they dont go together! a lot of people do the Multimedia and Graphic Design courses cos they are fun.. yes they are fun but once you've done and you have to work freelance till your reconised... times are gona be tough... consider carefully... Computing or Art...

I can't decide, because I like both. But instincts tell me Computing is a better choice for some reason. Maybe I should just keep arts as a hobby.

Thanks for all the advice, D-ziner. :biggrin:

can i see some of your Art work or since you say you really like Graphic Design... some work of that you have done, please...!?

Gee, I don't know. It's just amatuer work (according to me). :D Why don't you create a Graphic Designing thread in the appropriate place? Then we could all share our artwork. :D

Do mathematics chemistry physics and biology.. it will rock ur world!

All my close friends do and so far they're happy. :smile: But as for me I'm at a stage where there's no going back. My subjects can't be changed now.

Edited by Muezza

asalamu alaikum

Art is a hobby for most... only those who go nuts about it develop it into a career.. not saying i am nuts ok...

well i posted some artwork here... some time ago... dont know whats happened to it though... thats art/drawing remember... not graphic design! and i certainly aint going to post my project peices on here... not even to show Crystal Eyes, my main inspiration helpline...

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=4841&hl="]Click Here[/url]

i dont think i told you this but in Graphic Design, computers are used like say 30%... i know most peope think that Graphic Design is all computers and Adobe packages, they're wrong! haha i had that shock too when i first started... now im gradually becoming a better illustrator... thank God!

Multimedia is all computer designing and hey, why not consider CAD...? that sort of designing also uses alot of computer work..

try posting some of your work in the thread i created and linked above...

and you didnt answer my very first question...

"do they have A Levels in Pakistan...?"

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Oh, I thought you were originally from Pakistan but you lived in the UK, cos I didn't think education was that developed there (well, I don't think it is in Bangladesh).

Anyway, it sounds like you're leaning towards to Computing. Like you said, you could keep up the Art as a hobby, iA. Maybe the unis in Pakistan have student societies for you to do this like they do in the UK. But you might want to try and get some work experience to make sure an IT-related career is what you want to do, and if you still want to do it, you'll be able to say in your application to uni that you've worked for such-and-such a company. Another thing is, try to find out about the content of Computing degrees at the unis you're interested in, because while practical stuff like projects can be fun, the theory isn't all that exciting. I know a few people who have gone into unrelated careers, or have really disliked their degree.

Are you going to also apply to the UK? Cos international students can often get scholarships and that.

Wassalaam.

"do they have A Levels in Pakistan...?"

Yes, yes, yes!

I did say I had A' level subjects in my starting post didn't I? :tongue: My school's exam board is Cambridge University btw.

try posting some of your work in the thread i created and linked above...

Alright, but some of the people have already seen it, quite awhile ago before IF went down.

i dont think i told you this but in Graphic Design, computers are used like say 30%... i know most peope think that Graphic Design is all computers and Adobe packages, they're wrong!

Really? Wow... :D What really is it about then?

Multimedia is all computer designing and hey, why not consider CAD...? that sort of designing also uses alot of computer work..

I've never used Computer Aided Design before, but I might try it.

you might want to try and get some work experience to make sure an IT-related career is what you want to do, and if you still want to do it, you'll be able to say in your application to uni that you've worked for such-and-such a company. Another thing is, try to find out about the content of Computing degrees at the unis you're interested in, because while practical stuff like projects can be fun, the theory isn't all that exciting. I know a few people who have gone into unrelated careers, or have really disliked their degree.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind inshallah. :biggrin:

Are you going to also apply to the UK?

Either that or Canada. But I would prefer to apply to local uni's so that I won't have to leave my family.

Edited by Muezza

asalamu alaikum

hmm.. you not even sure about what graphic design really is...

this link also has some other articles which might explain to you a few other things...

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_graphicdesign.about(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/cs/designtips/a/whatisdesign.htm"]Software does not make you a designer[/url]

asalamu alaikum

hmm.. you not even sure about what graphic design really is...

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_graphicdesign.about(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/cs/designtips/a/whatisdesign.htm"]Software does not make you a designer[/url]

Well, thanks for the link. And I did say it was amatuer work. (just give me time, no need to be so harsh, bro)

Edited by Muezza

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

In the end, I would just like to say jazakhallah khair for all your meaningful words of advice. All this will definitely help me in the future.

May Allah shower success upon us all. :D

Edited by Muezza

If you are in Pakistan then Computing would be good. I think a lot of UK and US companies will out source their IT operations as in India.

It's difficult to find work as a Graphic Designer, so I recommend having it as a hobby.

asslamualaikum

If you are in Pakistan then Computing would be good.  I think a lot of UK and US companies will out source their IT operations as in India. 

It's difficult to find work as a Graphic Designer, so I recommend having it as a hobby.

I agree with brother ahm, and sister masha'Allah you have worked so hard and done brilliant A'Level subjects, why waste that effort and energy on Graphic Design? Do something productive where you are helping yourself and others, if you go onto study Computing your job oppurtinites are wide open (teaching, programme developer depending on the tye of computing, and also working in large organisations in Pakistan)

all the best sister

walaikumsalam

Salams,

If you are in Pakistan then Computing would be good. I think a lot of UK and US companies will out source their IT operations as in India.

Yeah, I guess that's true.

I agree with brother ahm, and sister masha'Allah you have worked so hard and done brilliant A'Level subjects, why waste that effort and energy on Graphic Design? Do something productive where you are helping yourself and others, if you go onto study Computing your job oppurtinites are wide open (teaching, programme developer depending on the tye of computing, and also working in large organisations in Pakistan)

all the best sister

Thank you, sis. Yes, I agree that Computing is the best option for me. :D

Jazakhallah khair for helping me decide. :biggrin:

Edited by Muezza