Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ahm

Woman Living Alone

:D

It is ok? I know that whilst travelling over a certain distance a mahram (gaurdian) is required.

Or must she live with a guardian (father, brother, etc.)?

PropellerAds

No, the reason a woman cannot travel alone is because she must be protected from men. Living alone is no different. In fact, she is more vulnerable to men with no/low morals as she is inside a house, away from the public.

She must live with a mahram.

Wassalam

sl

I used to live alone for many years, I was told by a scholar I should not do so, as this was one of the reason I was suffering from various problems....

Here is the hadith which brother Aburafay, might have been refering to:

004.052.250 - Narrated Ibn Abbas

That he heard the Prophet saying, "It is not permissible for a man to be alone with a woman, and no lady should travel except with a Muhram (i.e. her husband or a person whom she cannot marry in any case for ever; e.g. her father, brother, etc.)." Then a man got up and said, "OAllah's Apostle! I have enlisted in the army for such-and-such Ghazwa and my wife is proceeding for Hajj." Allah's Apostle said, "Go, and perform the Hajj with your wife."

ws

No, the reason a woman cannot travel alone is because she must be protected from men. Living alone is no different. In fact, she is more vulnerable to men with no/low morals as she is inside a house, away from the public.

She must live with a mahram.

Wassalam

she's more likely to be abused by male mahrams than a stranger.

then are you also saying she can't be left in alone in the house?

So can women not even travel from their home to uni alone? This interpretation can't be right...

So can women not even travel from their home to uni alone? This interpretation can't be right...

the travelling ruling applies to long distance or to other towns. it's not for local school/colleges or market.

Asalamualaikum ...

i have a friend who's 23 years old and she lives by herself .. she reverted sometime back and her whole family is in australia . she's in canada .. there are no mehrams around her .. what should she do then? *note* .. she thought of flying back to australia but dont got enough money ..

Sis Hana and Bro Ahm,

The solution for your friend, who are women and living alone is to get married.

Would they be harassed by male mahram, if he is husband?!

Will not a husband be protective of his wife ?!

Wassalam

Umm my perhaps controversial 2 cents is that we should take the hadith in context of who it applied to and when it was proclaimed. Depends what country ur in, where ur travelling etc. For example, i dont think it is necessary for me to have a mahrem while i walk around shopping/strolling whatever. But when it comes to walking home in the evening i would naturally want either another friend with me or a mahrem of some sort.

Depends what country ur in, where ur travelling etc.

That's a very important point! What country you're in, how safe is it, how comparable are the circumstances to when the hadeeth was given, etc.

Wasalaam! :D

from the best of knowledge... what country u live or which year this is... doesn't matter.

It's the distance which matters most.

according to majority of scholars... Hospitals, shopping, schools in the city r permissible but when it comes to goin out of town it's a whole different issue.

why is marriage the "best way out" to every solution? i feel like i like this girl, oh i should get married to my cousin who i found some very interesting facts about her :D

why is marriage the "best way out" to every solution? i feel like i like this girl, oh i should get married to my cousin who i found some very interesting facts about her  :D

bcoz marraige completes u. u have someone to share all yr thoughts, hapiness, sadness with.

good point actually i wasnt joking :D

reason i asked that cus im kind of :D because basically what "family" wants me to do is marry asap, morelike in nx 2 yrs or so. they want to choose someone from my town and obviously because they have pride and all they want me to go for cousins. there are 3 in same town as me. i dont chat to them often or at all. 1 is ok with me(good terms with me) second is erm, well she hates me i hate her (never chat to each other at all, ) and third is what i thought 'perfect'. but i had to be more cautious so i asked someone abt them to tell me wat they are like. told me some shocking facts and i told them to stop i dont want to carry it fwd. i am :D

bro, i don't want to go off topic here. why don't u post this in the counselling section.

Assalamualaikum,

It is very sad to hear someone say this. I am not disagreeing that this may be so, but to generalize I think in not fair.

If everyone of you 'accept' this statement without it bothering you, then it's no wonder we are in this state.

May Allah (SWT) guide us all and increase us in Imaan. ameen

Saud

Well in the UK...

A woman walking down the street is less likely to be attacked by a complete stranger, than a woman with a man she knows, e.g. date/colleague or her husband/blood relatives.

In other countries it is reversed I think, she would be more likely to be attacked by complete strangers.

may b true in UK...

again date/colleague r not mahram.

in reference to husband, i m abit confused. di i mean this as in domestic voilence or a sexual attack? :D

asalamualaykum,

just out of curiousity do you have proofs that says women cannot live alone? what about divorced women, cuz i read it was O.K. for divorced women to handle their own affairs like Khajida, May Allah be pleased with her.

Khadija(r.a) did get married.

Probably, the intention of getting married is decisive factor,which ofcourse will not be known unless the particular person mentions it by his/her mouth.

Beside, Why should anybody wants to avoid marriage, when he/she can?!

Wassalam

There is no evidence so far that a woman can't live alone. Divorced and widowed women live alone. I dn;t see how a woman living alone translates to her "not wanting to marry", I think they are separate issues.

wat makes you say this? i've heard the statistical statement that a woman is more likely to be abused by somebody she knows. but that doesn't necessarily mean that she is more likely to be abused by her brother/husband/father/nephew/other mahrams! the statement is most likely to be referring to the people she knows that are her non-mahrams eg neighbour, work colleague, boyfriend etc.

mahrams have been given to women by Allah as protectors.

This was in comparison to a "stranger", in the UK in my opinion she would be more likely to be abused by her male mahrams than by a "stranger". In the UK because of DNA testing it is easier to get caught, and it is easier I feel psychologically to comeforward against a stranger than someone you know. Whereas in the 3rd world, with corruption in law enforcement and lack of technology, you are less likely to be caught and hence attacks by strangers are more likely.

Non-muslims would include in the stats about someone "she knows"; her mahrams and her husband. Even children are most at trisk from family members and friends, than complete strangers.

about women travelling alone I thought they were allowed to provided the distance didn't exceed 40 miles