Islamic Forum
Crystal Eyes

Islam in England

Salamu alaikum,

I am planing to visit London insAAllah the next few days. Is it a stupid decision? Which places should I see?

PropellerAds

:D

Hmm.. whereabouts are you staying? Also bro/sis, you will need to specify your gender on your profile or you will get a warning from the mods!

Wa alaykum salam warahmatullah wabarakatu brother/sister,

London is full of muslims and it is the attraction for tourists, no i don't think you're making a stupid decision. Take the journey like you would have, i'm guessing you're merely having second thoughts due to the incident that toke place here 2 weeks ago. I live in London so inshallah the same incident won't happen again and Allah (swt) is the only protector. Come down and have fun :D

wa alaikum salam and thanks for your reply. I am here quite rarely because of my bad english. I tried several time to change my profile but I always get an error message. But I already feel unwelcome here just because I am to stupid to change my profil. I already some messages and no one had any complains. I am brother is that enough? Or do I need an ID card?

Masalamah,

PS: What a nice brotherhood , oleeeee :D

Er.. brother I didn't mean any offence! Maybe you can send a message to one of the moderators to help you?

Anyway to stay on topic.... there are lots of museums and parks in London, not forgetting the famous sites such as Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, etc.

Salamu alaikum,

ok :D

Anyway thanks for your reply. I am coming with my wife insaAllah and she would like to know if there is a recommendable place for her to buy abajas (dresses for muslim sisters), because here in Sweden there is not soo much for her. It would be helpful to have a list with places for buying literature (islamic) and clothes for my wife etc...

Masalamah....

Assalamu alaikum

What part of London are you planning on visiting brother, Insha'Allah?

Insha'Allah, that would help narrow down the places where you could purchase good quality Islamic literature and clothing. :D

Enjoy your stay here, Insha'Allah!

Wa-alaikum salam

EDIT: Typos.

Edited by strider

Salamu alaikum, I hope to get some information about shops otherwhise my wife will be angry with me :D

So please help me :D

Salamu alaikum,

I am planing to visit London insAAllah the next few days. Is it a stupid decision? Which places should I see?

You would have visited London already, :D you managed to find what you were looking for?

How is everyone coping with the aftermath of the attacks?

In my area of London, there does not seem to be much change! Apart from the odd stares, everything seems to be ok, :D

Edited by ur_muslim_sista

Big ben! wow its a clock! i have a watch on my wrist

ive seen the houses of parliament, really not that good.

green street on the other hand, is famous right? ANyone know what part of London that is?

Also, Islam channel studios are based in london right?

Anyone recomend any restuarnts in London?

Wa alaaykumus salam

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.newham.gov.uk/content/Leisure/see_do_newham.jsp?sectionNumber=2"]Green St[/url] is in the Forest Gate/West Ham area. Nearest tube is Upton Park.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.multimap(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=541000&Y=184000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=pc&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=10000&up.x=368&up.y=5"]Map[/url]

Wassalaam.

Salaam Alaikum,

Did anyone attend the JIMAS conference in Leicester? My mum, brothers and I did. It was my second time, I enjoyed it more last year, so I was a little disappointed with this year's. But I had a good time and benefitted greatly nonetheless.

Asslamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters

My friends went to Leicester.

I went to the MUSLIM UNITY CONVENTION in Mancheser though just last month (7 August 2005).

It was really good ...... Dr Zakir Naik was there.

IslamChannel was the sponsor of it along with others and they showed the whole thing a week later.

Assalamu Alaikum

Brother Drilon

Edited by DrilonNura

Salaam Alaikum,

Did anyone attend the JIMAS conference in Leicester? My mum, brothers and I did. It was my second time, I enjoyed it more last year, so I was a little disappointed with this year's. But I had a good time and benefitted greatly nonetheless.

you went to JIMAS?????!!!!!!!!!! Me too, :D was great! Everyone was commenting last year was better!

I was stuck on the floor for a few lectures, that was tiring!

My first time, went with dad, brothers and little sis!

:D will go again next year, Sheikh Salim was sooo funny yet serious, remember his marriage stories?

Abu Muntasir was very good too i think, blunt but honest!

What kinda restaurants you looking for Asian? What part of London, if East London theres loades of Halaal ones although i don't live there!!

thats the thing, i aint been to london, i know its relatively expensive to cov if you dine there...but what would you reccomend ukht?

Did someone mention Green st? lol, more like fitnah street!....i advise everyone to stay away!

Did someone mention Green st? lol, more like fitnah street!....i advise everyone to stay away!

I'm glad i don't live near it!

Why is it that one of the best bookshops in London, has to be there??!! It really is NOT FAIR! :D

:D there are smaller bookshops e.g. Darus Salaam in Regents Park Masjid, nice place!

Going out to eat, hmmm, i don't know if i am the best person to ask!! Anyone else?

You want a segregated restaurant?

No alcohol being served, RIGHT?

Indian sub-contintent food or soemthing else?

Central London, or anywhere?

What do IF-ers think of Edgeware Road? Never actually been down to the shops there, just went past it loades of times!

:D i think there is an online directory of Halaal restaurants somewhere!!

London Vs Midlands(Birmingham/Leicester)

Which is the better region to settle down in? Keeping in mind, an Islamically active lifestyle.

London appears to be more diverse(Turkish/Arab/N.African/Asian...) and is better for conferences and Masjids which accomodate women(?).

I only know of two Masjids in Birmingham with room for women, though there must be more? And conferences/lecture events?

Traffic in London is horrible, it's not even worth owning a car unless you live on the outskirts.

Driving around Birmingham/Leicester is relatively easy.

London has alot of options for eating out... that is, if you can find parking! Shopping is pretty standard, again parking is a problem.

No shortage of restaurants in Birmingham either and shopping for groceries is better I think. +you can find parking within 1 mile of the store!

House prices are very high in London

Though not so high in Birmingham! Average of £250,000 for a 5 bed house the last time I looked.

Islamic bookshops, accessories and clothing stores in both cities.

Polution I feel is higher in London, but you can feel it in Birmingham also!

So what do those of you think, who've lived in these cities?

I haven't lived in either place myself but have visited London a few times and Masha'Allah the Muslim population is large there as well as diverse.Plus Islam is pretty active there too, its a great place for active Islam many conferences are held there, as well as many Masjids Masha'Allah .I visited Birmingham a few years ago and didn't like it much.As for Leicester I haven't been there but heard from a few people that the Muslims there are quite active Masha'Allah.

London has all the hustle and bustle of a large city, but the diversity that you find in London is wonderful and the Muslim community is great Masha'Allah. :D

Fi Aman Allah

assalamualaikum,

I'm from Leicester but I have lived in London and Birmingham. I'm currently living in Leicester (Home Sweet Home!).

I found that there's no city in the world that compares to London. The Muslim community there is massive and amazingly diverse Alhamdulillah. Like you say the house prices are stupidly prohibitive though. However London is not neccessarily the best place to bring up a family because of the social problems in some parts. However if you can find a relatively cheap house (a minor miracle!) in a decent area (a major miracle!) then London is the place to be. Bear in mind the cost of living in London is almost double that of anywhere else in the UK.

Birmingham in my opinion is not the best place to be. The majority of the Muslim community lives in the inner city areas which have massive crime and drug problems (e.g. Aston, Alum Rock, Small Heath etc). The Muslim community in Birmingham is mainly made up of Pakistani Kashmiris/Lahoris, Bengalis and a new but small community of Somalians. The Muslim community is quite active alhamdulillah and the book shops along coventry road are some of the best in the country. There is a massive sectarian rift in the city which doesn't help (i.e. Pakistanis only go to pakistani Masjids, Bengalis to bengali Masjids etc). Again I found this attitude quite alarming and disheartening especially in these times when Muslims need to be as one more than ever. Traffic wise the drivers in Birmingham are quite aggressive like any other major city but it is not as bad as London. Halal food is everywhere which is a massive bonus and the restaurants stay open till very late. Quality of the food is another matter though. Some of the outstikrts of Birmingham are quite nice but then the facilites for Muslims aren't as good. The schools in Birmingham are of a decent standard but again because of the drugs and crime problems afflicting the Muslim areas they aren't the best. However ther are many small independent Muslim schools and lately al-Hijrah school has become government VA Funded meaning pupils do not have to pay fees (it's free). House prices are not as high as London but still quite expensive with terraces in Small Heath going for around £150,000 - £200,000. Also you will have to start speaking in Brummy which will make other people laugh no end. There is also an over abundance of "rude-bwoy" type Muslim brothers for some reason which is not good. Birmingham is slowly changing with the regeneration but this will take time for the benfit of everyone living there inshallah.

continued...

Leicester is only 45 minutes away from Birmingham. The Muslim community is made up of Indian Gujarati community, Large somalian community, Bengalis, Pakistanis and lately Morrocans/Algerians/Kurdish/Turkish and Arabs. The community is very active here alhamdulillah. The Muslim community is split with the majority living in the centre (Highfields), in the suburb of Evington and a new community springing up around Uppingham Road/Humberstone. Subhanallah the community here is incredibly active. There are a few Muslim independendent schools, with the biggest one due to open a new government funded high school at the cost of £18 million. The area of Evington is most sought after which means the house prices there are steeper than the rest of the city where semi detached houses start at around £225,000. Houses in Humberstone/Uppingham Road, detached with massive gardens can be had for about £300,000 - £450,000 whereas the same houses in Evington/Stoneygate start at around £450,000.

The amenities for muslims such as halal meat shops, grocers etc are all there so it is not a problem. In Highfields the houses are mostly cramped terraces but still start at over £150,000 for some reason. This area is mostly Muslim with an abundance of Masajids alhamdulillah. However Highfields does have its problems of drugs and crime like any other inner-city area but its not on a massive scale like some bigger cities. Lately there has been a boom in Halal restaurants. Take-aways are everywhere which is good, recently being approved by the Halal Monitoring Committee [HMC - www.halalmc.co.uk/"]www.halalmc.co.uk/] which allays the community's fears of dodgy zabihas etc. The Markfield Islamic Institute is also in Leicester where many prominent scholars have taught and do research from. Traffic is ridiculously stupid in Highfields (some of the worst in the UK in my experience) but not as bad as in London in the rest of the city. Actually saying that I think Leicester has the worst traffic outside of London in the UK! But trust me its not that bad. The good thing about Leicester is that it is not huge which means travelling to different parts of the city does not take long which is a huge bonus - especially when looking for houses. Add to that its only an hour and half away from London (and for that matter most of the rest of ENgland). The Muslim community is always growing subhanallah with new masjids springing up in the required areas relatively quickly. There are several bookshops but they are nowhere near as professional as the ones in Birmingham (very friendly though!).

Sorry for the long post. Finding a new house is always hard. Relocating to another place is an even bigger challenge. Whatever decision you take inshallah it will prove to be the right one. I hope this information helps. There might be a slight bias in there somewhere! But overall I think it paints a fairly coherent picture. If it was my choice...well I'd say London, Leicester, Birmingham. But then that's my choice! Happy house hunting.

walaikum salam moseeds

assalamualaikum,

Also, may I add, the take-away quality is way higher in Leicester than in Birmingham (and the places I had the misfortune to try in London), but it's slightly more expensive.