Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
atha

Applying To Grad. School

Assalam-u-Alaikum

I am finishing my undergraduate studies and I will be applying to graduate school Inshallah. but the problem is that i will have to take loan and that might mean paying interest. and yet another problem: the deadline is passing and i do not have money in my bank account so i was thinking of charging it to my credit card but then that means paying interest. so i am feeling clueless about what to do. any ideas? suggestions?

thanks

take care

Assalamu alaikum

PropellerAds

Assalam-u-Alaikum

a week ago i posted a question. unfortunately nobody answered. i am making the post again in hope that someone will try to answer my question.

Alright so this is the issue:

After finishing my undergraduate degree i either go to medical college or do MSc and get a job.

if i go to medical college then there are two problems: i will be like a little above 30 when i become a doctor and i don't know if anyone would like to marry me then. secondly, i might have to pay interest on my loan.

if i do MSc and try to get a job then there are two problems: i might not get a job due to racism (trust me i have been turned down before b/c of my scarf) and secondly i still might have to pay interest (but very very ess then med college) on my loan.

either way i am stuck with the interest part.

does anyone has any suggestions. which options should i take? somebody told me about sponsorship programs i.e if someone sponsors a student the they basically pay off their fees for the condition that the student works for them. now do they pay all the fees? do u think sponsorship is a good idea?

thanks

take care

Assalamu alaikum

Aslaamwalaikum,

It may be a good idea to do ishthikhara, as you have two options and u dont knw which one to take...

May Allah swt guide us all, help us to make the right decisions in order for us to gain good in this world and the hereafter. Ameen

Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to other people, i.e friends/family other muslim sisters who are doctors.

I m sorry my advice is not that helpful, but Im sure Inshallah someone will post a good reply. (try the counciling room, Mashallah people are of great help there)

Aslaamwalaikum

Asalamo alaikum,

My personal opinion is: go on to medical school! Concerning the first problem: you can marry while you're still a student. And the second problem: as a doctor you'll earn enough to repay your debts easily :D

Guest amani

^^ :D

but riba is still totally forbidden

sister! dont get involved in riba

“Those who eat Ribaa will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaytaan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: “Trading is only like Riba,� whereas Allaah has permitted trading and forbidden Riba. So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Riba, shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allaah (to judge); but whoever returns (to Riba), such are the dwellers of the Fire  they will abide therein�

[al-Baqarah 2:275]

“O you who believe! Fear Allaah and give up what remains (due to you) from Ribaa (from now onward) if you are (really) believers.

279. And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allaah and His Messenger but if you repent, you shall have your capital sums. Deal not unjustly (by asking more than your capital sums), and you shall not be dealt with unjustly (by receiving less than your capital sums)�

[al-Baqarah 2:278]

also we do have a uni/careers room in this forum if you would like such help :D

:D

Thanks for that reminder!

One thing she could do though is apply for a personal finance facility from the Islamic Bank of Britain (islamic-bank(contact admin if its a beneficial link)).

Sending you best wishes!

No, in the UK, but I'm sure something similar has to be available in America...

No, in the UK, but I'm sure something similar has to be available in America...

:D but i should have been more clear. :D

I was asking sis atha if she is in US or UK?

Apply for scholarships and grants (not sure where you are, but over here as far as I know Cal grants (grant's from california's gov.) do not have to be paid back. Maybe you can get a part time job. Start saving money.

Some people go to their local muslim community, you never know.. there are some really generous rich people in the world who are willing to help out.

Others get a full time job, and save money, then go back when they have the money. Where there is a will there is a way. Let's keep it halal :D :D

...If the loan involves paying interest when paying it back, then this loan is haraam and it is not permissible to continue with it. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Fear Allaah and give up what remains (due to you) from Ribaa (from now onward) if you are (really) believers�

[al-Baqarah 2:278]

If it is possible to cancel this loan, then you must do so...not permissible for you to pay interest (riba), for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba, the one who pays it, the one who records it and the two who witness it. He said they are all the same. (Muslim, 1598)...

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=9700&dgn=4"]Should he pay back an interest-based loan?[/url]

...With regard to taking a loan with interest based on inflation. We have already stated that paying interest on a loan to make up for inflation is haraam, and that it is a kind of riba. Based on this, it is not permissible for you to take this loan, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba, the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it. He said: “They are all the same.� Narrated by Muslim, 1598.

And Allaah knows best.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=23388&dgn=4"]Paying interest because of inflation is riba [/url]

...Riba is emphatically forbidden in Islam...“Those who eat Ribaa will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaytaan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: ‘Trading is only like Ribaa,’ whereas Allaah has permitted trading and forbidden Ribaa. So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Ribaa, shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allaah (to judge); but whoever returns (to Ribaa), such are the dwellers of the Fire  they will abide therein.

Allaah will destroy Ribaa and will give increase for Sadaqaat (deeds of charity, alms). And Allaah likes not the disbelievers, sinners�

[al-Baqarah 2:275, 276] ... Just because a bank is located in a Muslim country does not mean that it is an Islamic bank. Most of these banks are connected to Jewish and Crusader banks overseas. It is most regrettable that in the Muslim lands which are home to more than a billion Muslims there is no Islamic bank that is free from riba, apart from a few institutions...

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=20720&dgn=4"]Islamic financial system [/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_204.187.100.80/english/show_detail_section.cfm?q_id=110&main_cat_id=5"]Riba is haram[/url]

like sis umammaar said, look to the Islamic community! A friend of mine borrowed from the Islamic association for her tuition. :D

Edited by Afghan_Hijabi