Islamic Forum
Ibn_Khaldun

Inter-racial Marriages

Assalamu Alykum

I know what Islam says on this issues, but what do brothers and sisters feel? Looking at the pros and cons what would be your conclusion?

PropellerAds

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

Depends on the individual and their circumstances. For example, the first issue that springs to my mind is that of your parents' concerns. Like, some parents feel that there can be a language barrier so that they wouldn't be able to get to know their son/daughter in-law as well as they'd like in comparison to if the marriage was same-race, so they dislike it. And also because of cultural differences. In the end, it's easier to keep your parents happy and avoid unnecessary problems, after having done your best to explain your thoughts on the issue if you're in favour of it. After all, it shouldn't be a problem if they're the same race as you providing they're practising -- that's the most important thing, regardless of whether or not they're the same race as you. But if your parents don't have any problems with it, then my own view is to go for the best person in terms of piety, and not be concerned so much as to the person's race, as surely Allah (swt) will bless the marriage which is founded on that basis.

Wassalaam.

Assalamu Alykum

But if your parents don't have any problems with it, then my own view is to go for the best person in terms of piety, and not be concerned so much as to the person's race, as surely Allah (swt) will bless the marriage which is founded on that basis.

very wise...mashAllah

to make it more precise...what would u guys say if some body from a different cultural background (in the future) came up to u and asked ur daughter/sons hand in marrieage? putting u in the spot as parent

:D

Well, I'm not a parent, so I can't answer your last question. But, I don't have any problems with Inter-racial marriages. In fact, I think they're lovely. The only thing is that there will be the language barrier.

Other than that, if the person has a good iman, I'm totally for it. I think it would actually help to become a better Muslim.

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

If the person was of good character and pious, and my (hypothetical) son/daughter agreed to it, I'd give my approval. If it was my daughter to be married, I'd also check or want the future husband to have the means to support her. So race wouldn't really enter the equation.

Wassalaam.

Assalamu Alykum

sister o2cute4u I meant that inshAllah like in "future" situatuion :D

Assalamu Alykum

sister o2cute4u I meant that inshAllah like in "future" situatuion :D

:P

Oh, okay. Well, um.....I don't know. I most likely would, if my (imaginary....LOL) husband agreed to it also. If he didn't, then I'd try to get people to convince him.

Salam

I am married to a revert to Islam, and I am very happy so is he :D

My family was quite sceptical but as soon as they learned his religious qualities they fell in love with him too. Alhamdulilah, Alhamdulilah, Alhamudlilah, I am extremely happy that my parents gave me away! :D

Assalamu Alykum

mashAllah I am truly happy for u sister Zaytoon, a good example were inter racial marriage works, so I guess u didnt get a big "cultrual" clash then?

i have nothing against it, and alhamdulilah my parents have nothing against it too :D

well i think that people living in the west like countries such as USA, canada, UK and some other countries would have it easier, if they wanted to marry someone of the other race. When i say easier, i mean, in terms of like communication... i mean most ppl living in usa, canada, uk.. their language that they would communicate frequently is english, right... the language barrier would not be a problem.

But all this doesnt apply.. if your parents are not for it.. b/c then agian we would really want to make our parents happy right?.. but then agian u can always convince them in a beautiful manner and there are other tactics that u can use to....

And if i was a parent, and this person who would want to marry my son/daughter.. if they would be good in their deen... then yeh why not?!.... i mean our first aim should be the deen.. then if the deen is there, then everything would fall into place inshaaALlah.. b/c its the deen that stays with a couple for their entire life and not the beauty... the beauty will probably stay for a few days then eventually fade away....... but what will stay forever?.. the deen and personality/characteristics!.....

This is the reason why our scholars have always advised us to first look at the deen, and then proceed!

Khayr inshaaAllah,

:w:

If your parents are true Muslims then they shouldn't care about the colour of their prospective son/daughter in law, providing they are good Muslims. There is nothing wrong with interracial marriages, in Islam or otherwise, and why it's still considered something of a taboo in this day and age is bizarre, to say the least.

aslamualaikum

well i personally think they are good, they teach the community about harmony, peace and also how to interact with people who are of different race's and cultures to you. they also teach about being love and humble, humble in the sense that one race os no greater than another. it also teaches you to respect one another, and the FACT that being a different race doiesnt mean ur not human, becuase really its what is inside that counts, if you get what I am saying??

Subhan'Allah it also teaches the beauty of Allah, that he can create so many differnet creations and they are abe to co-exist together, Alah doesnt say that marry wtihin your own nations, rather marry someone who is pious and right for you, and you dont necessarily find someone pious and right for you within your own nation, so you have to look elsewhere.

make sense?

walaikumsalam

Assalamu Alykum

Subhan'Allah it also teaches the beauty of Allah, that he can create so many differnet creations and they are abe to co-exist together, Alah doesnt say that marry wtihin your own nations, rather marry someone who is pious and right for you, and you dont necessarily find someone pious and right for you within your own nation, so you have to look elsewhere.

And one of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your tongues and colors; most surely there are signs in this for the learned.

very true subhanAllah!

:D ^ why wouldn't it be? :D

Anyways.. iman comes first..

I think its interesting to find out about different cultures so long as your open minded. Language can be a problem sometimes though, but it's amazing how you can comunicate with someone who isnt of your mother tongue.

All i say is yes it can work, may be you will have a few problems along the way but even if you are both of the same cultures and races you still have problems.

Salaam

I started a pot like before gawaher went into drug taking mode an shut itself down! :D Anyways..... this is what I wrote... cue flashback (screen edges goes all fuzzy)

Salaam brothers and sister.

This question was started by someone else but I'm would like to know everybody else thought on this matter!

Why is it some cultures are opposed to mixed race marriages. Okay, why am I saying this. Well there a few people I know that would only a marry a person if they are from the same ethnic background. Shouldn’t the important issue, being that the other person is a Muslim rather than looking at the person ethnic culture.

Well it seems some of you think that I crazy and should shut up and be quiet, but really think about it. What would your parents say if you were going to marry English/ Black/ Chinese/ Pakistani…etc. Would they cry out that you are going to bring shame to the family?

If so, why?

Shouldn’t we concentrate building a stronger Islamic union rather than focusing on what our parents say. I realise some of my own culture isn’t Islamic culture, when I ask questions I always replied with, ‘…coz it is and I’m older than you and therefore I know what best’

Isn’t it up to our generation to put right what faults we have in our culture, or replacing it completely with a more Islamic one?

What do you guys think?

Wasalaam

there's no way my parents will say anything about who i marry (well, nothing regarding his race). i'm a product of an inter-racial marriage and i think it's done me and my character a world of good to experience two different cultures. people ask me which one i am, i tell them both. race should NOT be an issue when it comes to marriage.

Salaams,

I agree... i think its great!! My hubby-to-be is a different race to me and both his family and mine are fine with it!

When our children are old enough to marry, race will not be an issue!