Islamic Forum
Ibn_Khaldun

Inter-racial Marriages

As long as they’re a Muslim who cares?!

Race is not an issue…

PropellerAds

:D

:P If the couple is truly practicing, there will not be anu cultural garbage that goes against our deen :D Needless to say, they are not for everyone.

:P I am eager to learn things, and have talent in languages. I wouldn't speak in a language he or his family doesn't know infront of them without their consent. However, a lot parents,especially nonpracticisng ones, are, unfortunately, racist.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Race doesn't matter at all in anything. We are all human beings. Allah's creation.

I hate when I see muslims talk about how their parents would care if they married someone of another race or nationality. May Allah help them and guide them.

I am Muslim, care to elaborate your second last statement? Ofcourse, we would talk about it because there is no marriage without wali. If the father is Muslim, sane,.. he's the wali. Allahu alam.

As a 'product' of inter racial marriage i have found no problems with it. Saying that i do live in a western country that is very multicultural, and most people can speak english. I do also have reletives overseas and both my grandmothers dont speak english all that well but somehow they manage to get along.

So many people seem to find problems when it comes to speaking different languages. Personally i think that its not necessarily a bad thing if the in laws dont speak the same language. Language isnt the only means of communication. Im sure if they just put their faith in Allah Ta'ala they will love and respect each other and there will be an understanding between them. They should just see the in law as they brother/sister in Islam and the new family of their son/daughter.

Maybe it is better that they cant communicate via language, less oportunity for arguements and bickering over stupid little things, which unfortunately is very common in all types of family; same nationality or different.

Mixed marriages are only a problem if you make them one, so long as you see every muslim as your brother or sister it shouldnt even be an issue.

Thats just how i feel.

assalaamu alaykum,

ok as a revert who has just had one inter-racial marriage break down i suppose i am qualified to speak on this.

first off, yes cultural and language differences were one issue in the marriage breakdown but only one of many issues, but didn't it help things either, especially as when she went back to her family that was it, they decided she wasnt going to come back (i am kinda glad she didnt decide to as i dont think they would have let her and that would really have messed her up even more)

what we can say is that marriages within the same race are more likely to be successful for a variety of reasons, i.e parents more likely to get along, same language, same customs (including the non Islamic jahiliyyah ones) etc etc.

so if you marry someone from your own kind, it is likely to be successful but what we also need to make clear is that to object to a marriage on grounds of race or culture is enough to get you disqualified as the walee of your daughter, it is haram and is forbidden to do this. this is asabiyyah, i.e nationalism, culturalism, racism or just plane my village is better than yours ism.

a sister has a perfect right to go to the imam and have her father removed as walee if she wants for this alone and i know one sister who has little choice but to do this as her family have refused three very good brothers for this reason.

actually if the parents stop her from marrying anyone for any other reason other than his character and deen then that is enough.

so for those who think of objecting to their daughters marriage on this ground, well realise she can just get you removed as her walee and have the imam marry her to this brother anyway.

i would advice brothers and sisters to marry pious muslims, and insha'Allah Allah will reward them for this no matter what race, though yes, language problems can be difficult though not that big.

i could write for hours on this topic but i am shattered and need to pray fajr then get some more shuteye, please read the haddith below in my signature...

If someone wants to marry inter-racially thats fine by me. For some people happiness is all that matters, cant argue that.  As far as for me dating someone of another race , i could. Some reason, maybe its the way i was raised, but  i could never  :D date a black man (nothing against them) but just not my style , i guess.  However ... a nice middle-eastern guy...now thats another story..  :P

I hope i did not offend anyone here. :D

Brittany

I thought the topic was interacial marriages in general.... cos that sounded more like a racist statement.

Dating in Islam? i dont think there is such a thing. It's man-made, just like racism.

I thought the topic was interacial marriages in general.... cos that sounded more like a racist statement. 

Dating in Islam?  i dont think there is such a thing. It's man-made, just like racism.

For my above posting, I am not a black person (or African) but feel strongly that the mention of not marrying a black person is offensive because throughout times, black people are always look down upon. They were, and still are some of the worse victims of racism.

I've read the apologies now but please try and refrain from specifying which race would be nice to date and who wouldnt.

PS. I am Indian whose family would not give in to interacial marriages (or if they would, it wouldnt be without a fight).

But i do support interacial marriages fully but not on the grounds that the person marrying in would be made to feel small or inferior for not being the same type as his/her spouse.

It makes me very happy and greatful to Allah :D for bringing 2 people together from different cultural backgrounds and are very happy together. This clearly proves that Islam takes precedent over all cultures and nationalities.

I make dua that Allah continues to join bonds of families that they may learn from each other as He intended. Ameen

I'm a product of an inter-racial marriage too, and i see it as a good thing, as said before- Allah created us all, so it shouldn't be an issue. Children of inter-racial marriages seem more accepting of others (at least thats what i've seen) and less afraid of different ppl :P

The only problem that i've noticed, is that my grandmother had problems with it and kinda gives my mom a hard time :D Ah well...differences can be sorted out :P

:w:

Faith_88, i'm real happy for you.

but unfortunately, not all children feel the same as u. In fact, i kno people who have complexes, especially because their grandparents dont accept their mothers from other cultures.

They have identity crisis and take it out on ppl belonging to the culture of their fathers.

I kno because i've been presumed to be a certain type of person just because of a culture i was born into. Luckily me, my friends and this person share the same love for Islam and were eventually able to sort it out and this person now thinks a little differently, Alhamdullilah (Praise be to Allah)

:P

Hmmm...well, maybe that didn't happen to me because i'm just not close to my Grandparents and because i've lived abroad my whole life. However, i don't see why they would take out their agression on people belonging to the culture of their father's...they belong to it too. *sigh* My parents taught me to accept others, and that it's the right thing to do- so when my grandmother would say something rude, I'd realize that it's because of HER ignorance, and not a problem with the type of marriage itself.

Allhamdallah you and your friends sorted out- :D my mom and granny'll be able to do it too :D

I dont mind Interacial Marraiges ... and when the question comes whether i will marry some one who is of other race .... i guess at first i will be hesitant .... but then again ... marriage would be based on understanding and acceptance and not on looks and race .....

so far never met someone of that Quality .... EVERYBODY GO FOR LOOKS :D