Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Zakariyah

Pharmacology

:D

well i applied to uni this year and choose pharmacology, now i may suprise some people but i actuly dont know enough about the subject i just picked it cos my teacher said i'd be good at it. i got some letters from uni saying they will be looking at my application, so inshallah an interview may come up soon, but i want to know what is involved in this subject, is it very demanding? if you are studying it or have studied it what are you doing now and did you enjoy it?

:D this uni stuff is really stressing me out so much.

i would have loved to study arabic at uni but i dont think i can do much with it at the end.

Edited by slave

PropellerAds

Hmmm, well did you apply for something else? What I know about it is invoves you taking courses mainly based biology and chemistry.

-----------------------------------------

Just did a search and found the following:

What is Pharmacology?

Pharmacology is the science concerned with the study of drugs and how they work.

To pharmacologists, a drug is any chemical agent which produces a recognizable biological effect.

Pharmacology is also concerned with the search for new drugs and how they can best be used in the treatment of diseases in both man and animals. Some more information about pharmacology is given by the British Pharmacological Society

Why study Pharmacology?

Pharmacology is an expanding science: fundamental research in pharmacology has already contributed to major advances in the development of drugs to treat or avert pain, heart attacks, diabetes, asthma, cancer, Parkinson's disease and many other disorders.

As we have come to understand more and more of how the body functions - and a great deal of this understanding stems from an analysis of the actions of drugs - so new molecular targets have been uncovered for pharmacologists to aim at.

Basic, fundamental and innovative research in pharmacology is carried out in universities but pharmaceutical companies in Britain are vigorous and successful and have an excellent reputation for applied research and drug discovery. Scientists well qualified in pharmacology are required to maintain this strong research base on an international scale.

Students who have studied Pharmacology as Natural Scientists at Cambridge go on to wide variety of careers. These include basic or applied biological and clinical research in Universities and other institutions, drug development in the pharmaceutical industry, as well as work in the financial sector, management and consultancy

NB Pharmacology is different from Pharmacy (a pharmacist is someone qualified to prepare and dispense drugs). Pharmacy is not taught in Cambridge University, but details of Pharmacy courses are available from the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.phar.cam.ac.uk/Intro_inf.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.phar.cam.ac.uk/Intro_inf.html[/url]

asslamualaikum

masha'Allah sister Zeinab has already given you loadz of things to read, anyway wanted to ask brother was what subjects youre currently studying, coz depending on tht Pharamacology might be a good choice, im thinkin pharmacology is more Chemistry and Biology based, right?!

or maybe you should choose a different degree course (actually UCAS applications have gone through aint they :D )!!

anyway all the best brother insha'Allah you will do well, and you know clinical research sounds interesting, maybe you could go to a Muslim country and do research there and help with the drug supply?

walaikumsalam

PS -

:D this uni stuff is really stressing me out so much.

it will all be worth it in the end...believe me brother...its only a few months of hard work and pressure :smile:

:D poa and zainab,

its just i dont want it to bee too much chemistry,

or maybe you should choose a different degree course (actually UCAS applications have gone through aint they unsure.gif )!

no too late application sent already.

Hmmm, well did you apply for something else?

yeh, molecular biology with forensic, molecular cell biology and genetics, and some more pharmacology

anyway all the best brother insha'Allah you will do well, and you know clinical research sounds interesting, maybe you could go to a Muslim country and do research there and help with the drug supply?

inshalalh, i like the idea, gives me more reasons to move to an arab country,

please do dua for me as i still havnt herd from 2 uni that i really really want to go to for multiple reason.

asslamualaikum

insha'Allah, but your other options like

molecular biology with forensic

molecular cell biology and genetics

sound interesting, insha'Allah with yuor current subjects and predicted grades you will get your desired University

walaikumsalam

Asalamu Alaykum

well enough information have given by sisters POA and Zeinab mashallah. My sister studied pharmacology and finished alhamdulillah.

You have made interesting choices mashallah!

I want to go to Al Azhar in Egypt to study science inshallah so going to an arab country is not a bad idea. However, i hope that everything goes well and i shall remember you in my duas inshallah.

best of luck brother slave.

ma'salam

Guest amani

sorry *meant pharmacologist and seems to enjoy. its a good job :D

also if you ever considered moving to new zealand then two jobs can get you there easily.one of them is having a pharmacology degree :smile:

I want to be a pharmacologist :D

its just i dont want it to bee too much chemistry,

It's bio and chem mainly.. but I have heard it's becoming more bio than chem... :D

It's bio and chem mainly.. but I have heard it's becoming more bio than chem..

if thats the case i;d like it, chemistry makes me cry.

a family member is a pharmacist and he seems to enjoy. its a good job yes.gif
i hope you know pharmacology and pharmacist are very differnt from each other,

also if you ever considered moving to new zealand then two jobs can get you there easily.one of them is having a pharmacology degree

i hope that isnt the outcome, i would only like to move to an arab speaking country.

but i donno in the uk i read pharmceatul industry is major so probly plenty of jobs available already,

jazakallah khair sis CE for the dua. may i ask what your sister is currently doing and did she enjoy it?

Oh yes.. you can get a really good job with pharamacology. :D

i would have loved to study arabic at uni but i dont think i can do much with it at the end.

You could become an Arabic teacher..??

But from what Zeinab posted Pharmacology sounds pretty cool....

Hmmm, well did you apply for something else? What I know about it is invoves you taking courses mainly based biology and chemistry.

I like biology....but I dont like chemistry ....woah....thats one reason I could never become a Pharmacologist (and anything in that area)

How many years of the uni/college would you have to go through to get a degree?

Well let us know what you chose :D bro

jazakallah khair sis CE for the dua. may i ask what your sister is currently doing and did she enjoy it?

wa eyakee

well she just had a child so she was having a break after finishing her degree and getting her qualification. Yeah she enjoyed it...it is more to do with biology and less chem as it is about how the body reacts to drugs but she loved it!Sometimes she goes all weird and randomly talks about it but that is when my brain shuts off. Also with pharmacology you can work in different places, hospital, lab, factory etc.

wa Alaykum salam

Edited by Crystal Eyes

Some of my friends r doin it.. it's tough but one of the highest paying jobs as soon as one gets out of school in US. $80,000 to start with.

Hmm, well bro you do have to take chemistry and memorize many formulas. My brother’s friend did it and pretty much had to take a lot of chemistry. I think the best way to find out is call the university you want to apply to (or go there) and ask what the requirements for pharmacology are. They usually put them on their website or cataolgue book, that's what my uni does anyway.