Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arwa

Fencing Problem!

:D

Can anyone help me with the fencing problem maths coursework? :D

PropellerAds

Wa 'alaikum assalaam,

lol, this sounds like the Maths coursework I did 7 years ago! Is the question something along the lines of 'you're a farmer, with 100m of fence, what kind of shape of plot of land maximises the area?' Well, you've probably figured out it out what shape that is, but I won't say just yet. You have to start from simple shapes to more complex shapes to show some sort of progression in your thought, and maybe come up with a formula to calculate the area for an n-sided regular polygon.

Is this the one?

Wassalaam.

hahaha Yes it is! :tongue:

I already know the answer :tongue: circle! :D

You know, how do you work out the area of ploygons? :D

aslaam alykum,

we didnt do that one. we did some thing to do with some shapes. but anyway area of a polygon,

area= 1/2n * s * r where n= no. of sides, r= radius and s= side

or somat like that

wa alykum aslaam

Wa 'alaikum assalaam,

Yes, it's a circle!

A simple plot of land to start from is a square (25m by 25m). Then you can try a different shape, like a hexagon, to build yourself up to show a circle is the best shape. To calculate the area of the hexagon, you need to divide it up like a cake into 6 identical triangles and first find the area of one of these.

To show a circle is the best shape, you can come up with a general formula to calculate the area of any regular polygon with n sides.

Let me know if I was unclear.

Wassalaam.

Edited by borbus

:D muslim mujahid and borbus! once again! :tongue:

borbus.. I was told that we will only be doing regular polygons :D

aslaam alykum,

i'm not sure bout the formula, better check it. but maths isnt really my thing, more english as youv'e prob found put!!!!

wa alykum aslaam

Wa 'alaikum assalaam,

Fair enough -- makes it better then, I guess!

muslim mujahid: I am the other way round to you. I was better at Maths than English...

Wassalaam.

Edited by borbus

Wa 'alaikum assalaam,

Fair enough -- makes it better then, I guess! Ignore those bits about regular/irregular. But the rest should be relevant.

muslim mujahid: I am the other way round to you. I was better at Maths than English...

Wassalaam.

aslkaam alykum,

i just cant stand maths, its sooo ................. logical :D

wa alykum aslaam

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

[Edited...]

Wassalaam.

Edited by borbus

asalamu alaikum

This is like cheating. You shall not learn anything if you do this. You can pass, but you wont feel as confident in the matter.

And brothers, i dont know but you shouldn't be doing this. You do realise you have to make her learn herself, not give everything to her. Be ashamed of yourselves. Giving tips and hints are not problem, giving the entire solution to problems is just wrong!

Allah is watching your deception.

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

JazaakAllahu khayr bro D-ZiNeR for your advice. I've now edited the posts to make them more general.

Sr Arwa, you can still ask if you get stuck... I'll just try to be less detailed, iA.

Wassalaam.

Edited by borbus

Guest amani

arwa ill go find my notes right now if i can find it

but is there anymore shapes you need?

Guest amani

right just been to check and cant find :D :D

but instead i got the maths coursework book

with it is info given by our sir for this courseowork

what you will need to do to get the mark your aiming for :biggrin: good checklist

for a mark A [at] 8 points.

MAKING DECISIONS.

use an area of maths that is unfamiliar to you.

COMMUNICATION.

use good high level maths to show the reasons why your solution works.

REASONING.

give a good mathematical proof to a mathematical idea you had not met before.

for a mark B [at] 7 points.

MAKING DECISIONS.

show clear thinking about why your approach was used.

COMMUNICATION.

be accurate and give clear reasons as to why the solution is what it is.

REASONING.

give good reasons as to why a solution works in a problem where there are quite a few different features.

Guest amani

oh yeh reason why circle is biggest. i think i told you already? but ill wirte again

the reason why the circle is the best shape is because it gives the biggest amount of space with the ammount of fencing given. all the other shapes can fit into the circle with the circle still having outer space.

and then go on ... :D

also, write EVERYTHING you think of. explain it like you are talknig to aliens. it gets better marks.

asalamu alaikum

This is like cheating. You shall not learn anything if you do this. You can pass, but you wont feel as confident in the matter.

And brothers, i dont know but you shouldn't be doing this. You do realise you have to make her learn herself, not give everything to her. Be ashamed of yourselves. Giving tips and hints are not problem, giving the entire solution to problems is just wrong!

Allah is watching your deception.

The thing was D-Z ... I was off ill the last 2 days of achool and we broke up, and I had to idea what to do, but I HAD to do it.. I had no one else to ask for help.

Sr Arwa, you can still ask if you get stuck... I'll just try to be less detailed, iA.

Wassalaam.

:D so much borbus.

I don't think I will be needing more help as my teacher has explained eveything to me. She told me everything you said :D

right just been to check and cant find :D

but instead i got the maths coursework book

with it is info given by our sir for this courseowork

what you will need to do to get the mark your aiming for :biggrin: good checklist

for a mark A [at] 8 points.

MAKING DECISIONS.

use an area of maths that is unfamiliar to you.

COMMUNICATION.

use good high level maths to show the reasons why your solution works.

REASONING.

give a good mathematical proof to a mathematical idea you had not met before.

for a mark B [at] 7 points.

MAKING DECISIONS.

show clear thinking about why your approach was used.

COMMUNICATION.

be accurate and give clear reasons as to why the solution is what it is.

REASONING.

give good reasons as to why a solution works in a problem where there are quite a few different features.

:D so much amani! :D

no need to find your notes... teacher's explained everything.. I understand things much better and it's very easy :biggrin:

oh yeh reason why circle is biggest. i think i told you already? but ill wirte again

the reason why the circle is the best shape is because it gives the biggest amount of space with the ammount of fencing given. all the other shapes can fit into the circle with the circle still having outer space.

and then go on ... :D

also, write EVERYTHING you think of. explain it like you are talknig to aliens. it gets better marks.

:laugh: lol...

My teacher was explaining the same thing today ^ :D

Thought I'd let you know..

I've clocked the formula :D :D

Wa 'alaikum assalaam,

Mashaa'Allah, good stuff. You did it a lot quicker than me -- I think we got about 2 weeks to do that coursework. You might have done this already, but have you put the formula only in terms of n? Cos when I did the coursework all those years ago, I didn't and it was really messy, and I think it's nicer if you do. If you want, show that for large values of n that the formula gives areas pretty much the same as a perfect circle, i.e. 'as n is increased the formula gives an area that converges to the area of a circle' so you show it works fine.

Wassalaam.